Dirty Bomb.....what would you do?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angie_nrs

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I really don't know the difference between a dirty bomb and a nuke, except that they are both bad. I feel like I am much more prepared for a nuke. I have the testing equipment even though I'm not necessarily proficient in using it. I've messed with it a bit, but it's not something I unpack that often to practice with. I also have iodine tabs, even though I would offer those to any children first. I have books and an actual plan for a nuke. I'd get get heavy equipment outside the basement for shielding, batten down the hatches, grab the dog food and dog, and disappear down there for a week or two. I've got all my nuke info down there in a box, so I'd have some reading to do while my emergency radio is on. I've got other things on my plan list as well (depending upon how much time I'd have) but I don't really want to get too far into the weeds on a nuke scenario since we already have nuke threads.

Would this be the same plan for a dirty bomb? I don't know anything about them. I think they are more localized, but if a dirty bomb went off 100 miles away from me, what kind of danger does that pose? Are they constructed with different materials? Do airplanes drop these or is it typically more of a ground strike, per se? Ack! I have not thought about this type of threat before b/c I live in a fairly rural area, but what if there is a report of one 50, 100, or 150 miles away? What kind of danger would that pose and how would you handle it? Some education on this topic would be much appreciated.

Typically the dangers with a dirty bomb are fairly localized. What would happen would be someone has some radioactive material and they put an explosive with it that when detonated spreads the radioactivity around the area without a nuclear detonation.

You wouldn’t really know that there was any radioactive fallout unless they tested the area to see because it would be just the damage from the conventional explosive that would be seen, however big that was.

The biggest threat with a dirty bomb is the radiation doesn’t decay like that of a nuclear bomb. It will be the normal decay rate of whatever material was used, which is usually a really long time instead of a few weeks.

Last edited:
Typically the dangers with a dirty bomb are fairly localized. What would happen would be someone has some radioactive material and they put an explosive with it that when detonated spreads the radioactivity around the area without a nuclear detonation.

You wouldn’t really know that there was any radioactive fallout unless they tested the area to see because it would be just the damage from the conventional explosive that would be seen, however big that was.

The biggest threat with a dirty bomb is the radiation doesn’t decay like that of a nuclear bomb. It will be the normal decay rate of whatever material was used, which is usually a really long time instead of a few weeks.
That's my take on them as well.
Their purpose is to spray as much radioactive material (fallout) into the atmosphere as possible (which will kill more people than a nuke).
The response from the citizens should be similar to a nuke:
1. Know that a detonation has occurred.
2. Monitor the radiation level outside your home.
3. Stay inside until it drops below the 'dangerous' level.

As you said, that can take longer with a 'dirty bomb', so keep plenty of food and water on hand to survive safely until it dies down. :thumbs:

Fifty miles, or more, away you shouldn't have to worry unless there was a strong wind and you were directly downwind. Reread what Supervisor said.

My plan is to take iodine the first day or two to flood my system. It isn't recommended for someone my age as the bad effects from the radiation are long term, unless I overdose, in which case the iodine doesn't matter.

Dirty bombs will most likely be truck delivered but planes and missiles are an option also.

The threat of a dirty bomb will last much longer. A ground burst nuclear blast can also last longer. An air burst nuclear blast picks up little radioactive material.

Were I anywhere near a nuclear blast or dirty bomb I would get ready to hunker down and monitor my nuclear sensors. As mentioned before, be prepared for longer than the two weeks of hunkering down as for an air burst.

I live 40 miles downwind from about 5 targets. I figure that I'll have one to two hours to get underground. Sounds as if you'll have more time.

Here is some info on Dirty Bombs. IMHO I would treat it just like a nuclear bomb. Be prepared to hunker down in your basement for a couple of weeks, and keep the radio on. What has been mentioned previously is sound advice. The damage will be localized, and you won't know the radiation effects until it is known what radiation source was used. If you are far enough away from ground zero and you are up wind you will probably be safe.

https://www.britannica.com/technology/dirty-bomb

I really don't know the difference between a dirty bomb and a nuke, except that they are both bad. I feel like I am much more prepared for a nuke. I have the testing equipment even though I'm not necessarily proficient in using it. I've messed with it a bit, but it's not something I unpack that often to practice with. I also have iodine tabs, even though I would offer those to any children first. I have books and an actual plan for a nuke. I'd get get heavy equipment outside the basement for shielding, batten down the hatches, grab the dog food and dog, and disappear down there for a week or two. I've got all my nuke info down there in a box, so I'd have some reading to do while my emergency radio is on. I've got other things on my plan list as well (depending upon how much time I'd have) but I don't really want to get too far into the weeds on a nuke scenario since we already have nuke threads.

Would this be the same plan for a dirty bomb? I don't know anything about them. I think they are more localized, but if a dirty bomb went off 100 miles away from me, what kind of danger does that pose? Are they constructed with different materials? Do airplanes drop these or is it typically more of a ground strike, per se? Ack! I have not thought about this type of threat before b/c I live in a fairly rural area, but what if there is a report of one 50, 100, or 150 miles away? What kind of danger would that pose and how would you handle it? Some education on this topic would be much appreciated.
A nuke melts cities, a dirty bomb is a localized weapon using a small explosive to vaporize and distribute radioactive material. If you're prepped for a nuke, you're likely ready for a dirty bomb.

Here is some info on Dirty Bombs. IMHO I would treat it just like a nuclear bomb. Be prepared to hunker down in your basement for a couple of weeks, and keep the radio on. What has been mentioned previously is sound advice. The damage will be localized, and you won't know the radiation effects until it is known what radiation source was used. If you are far enough away from ground zero and you are up wind you will probably be safe.

https://www.britannica.com/technology/dirty-bomb
Can you get in your basement ♥️😂😂😂

Can you get in your basement ♥️😂😂😂

I'll follow one of the walking paths, and dig myself a cubby hole. With all of that debris I should have plenty of shielding. 😄

If I were near the dirty bomb, I would:
Get on a respirator/gas mask and a rain suit to protect me from fallout until I got to a safe area.

Check the wind and go in the opposite direction.

Seek aid if there are any signs I have been contaminated, a quick pass with a Geiger counter over my body sans the rubber suit ought to tell quickly!

Thanks for the responses.

I read that article Morgan and this makes me feel a little bit better...."There have been no recorded incidences of a successful dirty bomb attack." I'm thinking for terrorists, this method of elimination is probably too dangerous to their own health to make it worth their while. Good!

I guess I've been thinking about this with all the military aged men that have been invading our country via the unsecured borders. Sooner or later we are going to have issues. It makes me wonder if Soros or some of his ilk have something like this planned. If they do, I'd bet that they would go after more populated areas in order to cause the most damage. I do feel better knowing that the area affected would be relatively small.

So, it looks like I would stick to my nuke plan except to prepare to stay hunkered down even longer. With this type of attack, I would think the radio would be the best way to know if it would be safe to exit the basement or not. I wonder how the gov would handle such a situation? Would they evacuate folks or would they start their decontamination efforts first? I doubt they would be able to evac people without risking the health of the rescuers. Relying on the gov to save me has never been part of my plan. I'd sit tight and hope they leave me the heck alone.

Thanks for the responses.

I read that article Morgan and this makes me feel a little bit better...."There have been no recorded incidences of a successful dirty bomb attack." I'm thinking for terrorists, this method of elimination is probably too dangerous to their own health to make it worth their while. Good!

I guess I've been thinking about this with all the military aged men that have been invading our country via the unsecured borders. Sooner or later we are going to have issues. It makes me wonder if Soros or some of his ilk have something like this planned. If they do, I'd bet that they would go after more populated areas in order to cause the most damage. I do feel better knowing that the area affected would be relatively small.

So, it looks like I would stick to my nuke plan except to prepare to stay hunkered down even longer. With this type of attack, I would think the radio would be the best way to know if it would be safe to exit the basement or not. I wonder how the gov would handle such a situation? Would they evacuate folks or would they start their decontamination efforts first? I doubt they would be able to evac people without risking the health of the rescuers. Relying on the gov to save me has never been part of my plan. I'd sit tight and hope they leave me the heck alone.
They talk young men into wearing explosive vests or setting off truck bombs. Blowing themselves up with a dirty bomb isn't much of a stretch. I doubt that the .gov will be too worried about us. If they do anything I expect that they will hustle us into FEMA camps, no thanks.

They talk young men into wearing explosive vests or setting off truck bombs. Blowing themselves up with a dirty bomb isn't much of a stretch.
Yes, to get a few suicidal virgin chasers out there wouldn't be hard. But to get the brains behind the scenes to get involved with a mode that could kill them might be more of a stretch. I'd bet that putting something like this together would not be an easy task and would require some finesse and brains. Brainiacs tend to be more cowardly IMHO. Soros and Schwab come to mind. They'll orchestrate evil scenarios, but they won't get their hands dirty, they'll just throw money at it. I'd bet the middle men on a job like that are a bit more difficult to get, knowing that one little mistake could mean a nasty way to die.

Latest posts

Back