DMR Radio

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A direct market reseller (DMR), also known as an e-tailer, is a company that sells directly to consumers online without operating storefront operations of any kind.
Does growing my own food count?

Digital Mobile Radio. I have one - an Anytone D868UV - but I use it in analog FM mode only.

DMR, Yaesu's System Fusion and Kenwood's D-Star operate similarly: you use your radio to talk to a hotspot in your home or a local repeater. From there, your voice signal is digitized and sent to other repeaters and hotspots via the internet, not via radio.

For me, ham radio is about not having to rely on any infrastructure to communicate. These digital modes don't scratch that itch for me, so I haven't bothered with them.

What I will say about the D868UV is the color display is really nice, and the memory capacity is such that I can organize every repeater in New York State by county and even get some in northern PA programmed in. There are several thousand memory channels...I forget how many exactly.

Is it like the trucker’s CB or is it different & how?

Its ham radio. But it allows you to go thru the internet and talk around the world on VHF and UHF

I know nothing of this DMR, I'm still learning the basic talky, lol.

I have Baofeng radios and I can go through the internet with those simply by hitting a repeater that is tied in.

I mostly use DMR now. There's 10 repeaters linked in south/central GA if anyone is interested. Its called the "Vidalia Net".

I agree the DMR through IP isn't worth a hockey when the grid is down. That's were HF shines.

I mostly use DMR now. There's 10 repeaters linked in south/central GA if anyone is interested. Its called the "Vidalia Net".

If you have a smart phone, have you tried out Echolink?

I have too! I'm currently running two Kenwood dual deck setups. One is in my F250 and the other is in my work vehicle. I have more money in those than I should.

20210830_141646.jpg
20210903_134448.jpg
20210829_130410.jpg

There can be some overlap between ham radio and survivalism.

But in my view, any type of ham activity that uses repeaters is outside that overlap zone - ie it is purely part of the ham hobby.

In a very severe crisis (where the ROL is gone and communications by all other means are down), use of ham radio to gather information/communicate would be mostly 99% about listening and as little as 1% about transmitting.

Being that radio is insecure, none of your communications should be "in the clear".

That transmitting would be minimized by using single prearranged words that convey information about situation, progress, location, observations and intent (in much the same way the military does).

Even then, great care would need to be taken to ensure RDF can not be applied to your radio transmissions.

Hey, you ham experts out there! What about ham radios aboard overland rigs? You know, 4WD vehicles equipped to cross trackless wastes AND outfitted with ham radios? Wouldn't they be harder to locate once the ham radio 'sender' finished his transmission and took off? That OAUSA.NET site was all about ham radios and overland rigs... I believe the guy who set up that site went on to create the American Adventurist Site, which is also pretty cool. :cool:

There can be some overlap between ham radio and survivalism.

But in my view, any type of ham activity that uses repeaters is outside that overlap zone - ie it is purely part of the ham hobby.

In a very severe crisis (where the ROL is gone and communications by all other means are down), use of ham radio to gather information/communicate would be mostly 99% about listening and as little as 1% about transmitting.

Being that radio is insecure, none of your communications should be "in the clear".

That transmitting would be minimized by using single prearranged words that convey information about situation, progress, location, observations and intent (in much the same way the military does).

Even then, great care would need to be taken to ensure RDF can not be applied to your radio transmissions.
For really bad times, I'm going HF with an NVIS antenna for local comms and a dipole up high to reach out far. I've been testing this with good results so far.

Line of sight transmissions invite trouble, so VHF and UHF are not really in my plan unless they're on extremely low power for very local communication.

Hey, you ham experts out there! What about ham radios aboard overland rigs? You know, 4WD vehicles equipped to cross trackless wastes AND outfitted with ham radios? Wouldn't they be harder to locate once the ham radio 'sender' finished his transmission and took off? That OAUSA.NET site was all about ham radios and overland rigs... I believe the guy who set up that site went on to create the American Adventurist Site, which is also pretty cool. :cool:
Sure, you can set up rigs in vehicles. VHF and UHF are line-of-sight - if you can see the mountain top 12 miles away, you can talk to someone there. If you're in a valley and want to talk to someone on the other side of the mountain, you're out of luck.

HF uses a very different antenna and bounces the signal off the ionosphere. There are HF antennas for vehicles, but how effective they would be for local communications is another matter. HF is designed to reach far, not within 100 miles.

But to address your point, yes, having your radios mobile will be helpful in avoiding being involved in a fox hunt.

Latest posts

Back