do I Really-Really-REALLY need 133200 Joules (And what do they actually DO for me....????

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sourdough

"Eleutheromaniac"
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
In a cabin, on a mountain, in "Wilderness" Alaska.
A joule is the SI base unit for energy. It is equal to .[1] In physical terms, lifting an apple one meter takes 1 joule of energy. This should not be confused with a watt which is a unit of power and a rate of how fast energy is used.

While the joule is the SI base unit for energy, when speaking in real-world terms, we often use the kilowatt-hour (kWh) instead. This is due to the fact that a joule is an extremely small amount of energy. To put how small a joule is into perspective, a liter of gasoline has 31,536,000 joules of energy in it. A kilowatt-hour is equal to 3,600,000 joules. Therefore, a liter of gasoline has 8.76 kW/hr of energy in it, which is a much more manageable number.

I'd like to know the wire gauge to the clamps, watt hours/starting amps/amp hours/even CCA, etc. They gave me information that really doesn't tell me anything.

The whole thing weighs 16 lbs, how much is battery and how big is it?

Do you need it? You'll only find that out when the smaller one runs dry and the truck still doesn't start. The standard, it is better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. You like big trucks, cold weather, and remote sites, all of which means the vehicle doesn't want to start. Big engines crank harder, cold weather draws down batteries and makes engines harder to crank, and engines get a sadistic pleasure out of messing with you in remote areas.

Re : what do they do for me?

A Joules see here is a chunk of energy.

If memory serves me (see link above) it is equal to the energy required for you to pick up a 1 kilogram weight off of the floor and raise it 1 meter. The weight at 1 meter above the floor will have 1 joule of potential energy.

If you let it go the potential energy will become kinetic energy when it slams into the floor.

Please see the link above for math details.

@Supervisor42 or maybe @Biggkidd may be able to speak how much tou need for big toys.

Ben

They gave me information that really doesn't tell me anything.

This is the "HUGE" problem. I have a set of very high-quality Jumper Cables I bought 40'some years ago. They were painfully expensive. Fast forward to two weeks ago, and I decided I wanted a back-up pair of super high quality jumper cables (price not a consideration). Well, I spent likely six or more hours over several days attempting to choose "WISELY" a new pair of cables that I'll likely never use.

These features are not written by Amazon, but by the manufacturer. Each trying to put forward gibberish that looks impressive.

Now today I start shopping for a quality "Battery Jump Pack" and it is the same crap. Lots of confusing useless information. One said it would start a 12 Liter Diesel Engine..........maybe if the truck was parked in 80 degree weather for days. Not likely if parked at 56 degrees below zero for a week.

So my plan was to ask for help in choosing a battery jump pack. But as you quickly pointed out, fairly impossible without all the specifications.

But I am not purchasing a $850.00 Jump Pack, unless it also cooks dinner and shovels snow off the roofs.

So, what should I be looking for in a quality Truck Battery Jump Pack form AMAZON.com.......???
I don't want to pay over $300.00 (even knowing it could save my life). I generally have two fully charged new batteries in the cab and two sets of jumper cables.

This is the "start" of the ones that are $200.00 and UP
Amazon.com : truck battery pack charger portable

And THANKS for helping.

So, what should I be looking for in a quality Truck Battery Jump Pack form AMAZON.com.......???
I don't want to pay over $300.00 (even knowing it could save my life). I generally have two fully charged new batteries in the cab and two sets of jumper cables.

This is the "start" of the ones that are $200.00 and UP
Amazon.com : truck battery pack charger portable
Engine battery, two backups, and two jumper cables? Sounds like you have it covered.

Last edited:
Re : what do they do for me?
A Joules see here is a chunk of energy.
Please see the link above for math details.

@Supervisor42 or maybe @Biggkidd may be able to speak how much you need for big toys.
Ben
Even though this thread is troll-bait, I haven't eaten my ration this week :rolleyes:.
The numbers are as fake as the 900,000 mah charger featured in this thread:
https://www.homesteadingforum.org/threads/900000mah-dual-usb-portable-solar-battery-charger-solar-power-bank-for-phone-kr.7178/post-195213
If you have used jumper-cables that actually moved even 1,000 amps (I have), you need both hands to carry them because the wire in them is 4/0 gauge (bigger than your thumb) and they get hot quick because that is still 4-times their continuous rating. :oops:
Jump off a Perkins 354 in the dead of winter with dead batteries and you find out fast.
The 10,000 amp rating of Goodall's rig is probably what was measured by some scientist for one picosecond and is meaningless in anything except advertising.
I'd wait for the next one that comes out, that has the 100,000 amp rating.:LOL:

Last edited:
If you have used jumper-cables that actually moved even 1,000 amps (I have), you need both hands to carry them because the wire in them is 4/0 gauge (bigger than your thumb) and they get hot quick because that is still 4-times their continuous rating. :oops:
Jump off a Perkins 354 in the dead of winter with dead batteries and you find out fast.
The 10,000 amp rating of Goodall's rig is probably what was measured by some scientist for one picosecond and is meaningless in anything except advertising.
I'd wait for the next one that comes out, that has the 100,000 amp rating.:LOL:
....I thought I'd add, if you are going to awaken the sleeping giant I was talking about, your buddy will be using a hand-truck to tote this 100-pound monster around (since both of your hands are full carrying the cables):
4D.png

It brings the real heat.
BCI Group Size:4D Battery
Volts:12V Cranking
Amps1250
Cold Cranking Amps:1000
Reserve Capacity in Minutes:300
Dimensions (in.): L x W x H
20 3/4 x 8 3/4 x 9 7/8
Shipment Weight: 100 lbs
Piece of cake! :thumbs:

Last edited:
But I am not purchasing a $850.00 Jump Pack, unless it also cooks dinner and shovels snow off the roofs.
At 12 volts and 10,000amps (that's 120 kilowatts!) it will definitely cook dinner. From about 50 feet away.

I would call the company and ask if their 10,000 amp specification is measured in "Chinese Amps" or "Normal Amps". 10 normal amps = approximately 50,000 Chinese amps. Similar for flashlights (any other electric device for that matter). 100 normal lumens = 5,000,000 Chinese lumuns. I once saw a very handy portable generator. Weighed only 10 lbs. 15,000 Gigawatts! (Chinese measurement)

I too bought a set of mega bucks jumper cables 30 years ago and never looked back had to use them last night in fact. 20 feet long and 30ish pounds 2AWG IIRC. They have never let me down. There have been a few times when I wished I had spent more for the 24 footers! I tend to keep my batteries HOT all the time so the cables were really more for other people. Last night it was my youngest daughter, again.

Would you pay $750.00..........???????????????? (I am NOT)
Maybe. depends on how big of an emergency I might need it in.
the 150$ one from Harbor freight was just fine however, but I really don't trust that stuff. I had worries about it holding charge.

Have you considered building your own from parts? Maybe use LifePO4 cells or LTO? Either one would outlast us more than likely BUT they do have to be kept above freezing to charge and don't like freezing or heat but kept inside until needed they should be great.

I've had a number of portable jump starters over the years, used to give them out as graduation presents. I'm a fan of the ones with an AC inverter built in, so you can plug a 110 device (within reason) right to the side of it. This one starts my old Ford cargo van with a V10 which not all of them will do: www.amazon.com/Imazing-Portable-Lithium-Jump-Starter/dp/B07T233M78

Latest posts

Back