Do you have body armor in case of civil conflicts or war?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've put these together . The coyote tan is a combat set with pouches for mags , kabar knife , handgun , flashlight , radio , first aid kit and a dump pouch . It has rifle rated ar500 plates . The black vest . I have 2 set up . One with rifle rated the other pistol rated plates . The woodland camo one is a Italian surplus vest it has rifle rated plates . View attachment 21409View attachment 21410View attachment 21411

I have 2 similar to your first one. There for whoever is on patrol of our property.

I found some surplus body armor…

IMG_3189.gif

Unless I was returning to the military I would not use body armour, I've no intension of getting into major gun battles, and 90% of shoot outs are over before I could get a plate vest on. None of my cold war colleagues ever liked wearing armour when I was in the army, its just more unneccssary weight, and I would rather carry more food or ammo than armour which as a Light Infantryman only slowed me down.
Me and my buddies talk about this All the time. We're All Gwot veterans, one of my buddies was a anglico Marine in support of the seals in Ramadi , the AQ shot his leg off. That's the point I'm trying to get at. In zombie land, assume everyone is wearing body armor and take only head shots or pelvic girdle. In the Alamo , where one is defending a static position and movements are minimal less than 200 yds. Yes body armor could be useful same for a known movement via soft skinned vehicles. Because I doubt any of very few of us have up armored vehicles. Otherwise speed , mobility, proficiency with your weapon. Situational Awareness, pick one's fights wisely if possible.

Body armor wasn't really invented to save lives , but create profit from War. And it was part of the reason we lost along with the stupid ROEs.

In a situation where you expect a fight with some center mass shooters, or some other type of inexperienced shooter, or when you are doing S&D or STK I can see the use for it.

Unfortunately anyone you come up against that knows where to shoot and how to use angle shots to defeat any type of armor or anyone who does pinpoint shots in the ID zone will make any type of armor functionally useless.

It is entirely dependent on the level of conflict you expect to encounter.

If I were a city dweller expecting gang members and other wild full auto shooters I would get the best I could find and wear it anytime there was movement even to bed.

In the way out with the type of people who will be mounting seek out operations it will probably do you no good if you don't make the first move.

I so LOVE seeing our member Maverick post once again! Sorry but we haven't actually seen in for a few years now. I still LOVE that man to this day.
Dani this is one of our old posts resurrected. Maverick posted in it in 2020.
I didn’t know the person but respected his posts.

None for me, without, I am soft squishy and easily perforated. With, I an slower and easily perforated in the unarmored parts. EVERYBODY knows where they are.

Body armor wasn't really invented to save lives , but create profit from War. And it was part of the reason we lost along with the stupid ROEs.
Actually no, it was developed by Rich Davis, specifically to save lives. He was a pizza driver who got shot delivering a pizza. He started Second Chance. I know this because I was there a few times while he shot himself. :D He also started the Bowling Pin Shoot competitions back in the 70's.

Don't try this at home kids. Rich used TWO of the old time 3" thick yellow pages under the vest to keep from being bruised. The vest will stop the bullet, but you can still break ribs from the impact.
2ndchancePosterdocmainimageTW1.jpg

I have 3 "Second Chance" Threat level 2 vests. We were required to have them replaced every 5 years per the warranty, but since the covers are still wrapped in plastic and the elastic is not stretched, they are good as new. I placed 4 bullet proof vests in my police K-9 car, as extra protection, and I may do the same with the new car purchase, since I don't believe I will be wearing one anymore...although I wore one daily for 25+ years.

I have several sets of concealable and external armor, a few helmets, and a pile of rando plates and panels. I love to buy up 'expired' armor and used plates that were too heavy for someone who had enough money to go ceramic or composite. Shits getting expensive now too, so I am glad I threw my money at it when I did.

I have several sets of concealable and external armor, a few helmets, and a pile of rando plates and panels. I love to buy up 'expired' armor and used plates that were too heavy for someone who had enough money to go ceramic or composite. Shits getting expensive now too, so I am glad I threw my money at it when I did.
Brother, you are not kidding regarding the prices!

I have 3 "Second Chance" Threat level 2 vests. We were required to have them replaced every 5 years per the warranty, but since the covers are still wrapped in plastic and the elastic is not stretched, they are good as new. I placed 4 bullet proof vests in my police K-9 car, as extra protection, and I may do the same with the new car purchase, since I don't believe I will be wearing one anymore...although I wore one daily for 25+ years.
Yes, I still have my first 2nd Chance - I got it when I was in the Army, right after Grenada (better late than never) so '83. Haven't worn it in decades. One of these days I'll shoot it and see how it does. (Not while wearing it! LOL) My bet is it will work fine.

Now I have Lvl III soft armor for myself and wife, and some LVL IV plates that are really too heavy for more than a static position. At my age any fights against high power rifles is probably going to be pretty short for one side or the other. Plus if I had to run in plates I'd probably tip over and be like a turtle on it's back, "Help me, I've fallen and I can't get up!" ;)

Back