Do you store water in 55 gallon containers?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Our water storage is a 1,100 gallon concrete cistern we built in the early 1980's, it's spring fed, come from underground up on the side of the mountain behind us, the cistern is at the top of our property giving us a gravity feed system, 25 psi at out home, what a blessing it is not to have an electric pump, controller and pressure tank to deal with, it's also good not to have watt hours to pay for pumping water. I also have a 1,100 gallon black poly tank that needs a hole dug next to the cistern, when things dry out a bit I'll get some help to get it added to our water supply. I also have about 6 55 gallon blue and white food safe tanks that I need to rig up a flow through constant fill system to store water in, my feeling is that you can never have too much good water on hand.

Last edited:
What do you use for cappibg them? Our water delivery bottles like those. But I don't have caps to close them up after refilling them.
I pick up any used ones as well. After I take them to the car wash and blast them out I put some purex in them with some water and slosh around then dump before filling with good water.
To cap the ones i use often i put a quart freezer zip lock over the top and then secure with a heavy duty rubber band. This also keeps the bottle clean if you have to pick it up and set it in a dispenser.

Latest posts

Back