Do you tip? Give a gratuity?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tip at places where one would normally tip. I took my girlfriend to a Japanese steakhouse recently. The bill was $59, the service and food were satisfactory, so I tipped 20% and it didn't bother me to do so. I tip cab drivers, bartenders, etc. I don't go to places that have doormen or room service or whatever, so I don't need to tip those people.

I worked as a bartender in college. I don't have boobs, so I didn't make that much in tips, but I still had to tip out the barbacks and bouncers. To this day I always tip a buck when I order a drink, or if it's not an even dollar amount I put the quarters in the tip jar and throw a dollar in on top. I remember how it was to depend on tips to buy groceries...

I tip at places where one would normally tip. I took my girlfriend to a Japanese steakhouse recently. The bill was $59, the service and food were satisfactory, so I tipped 20% and it didn't bother me to do so. I tip cab drivers, bartenders, etc. I don't go to places that have doormen or room service or whatever, so I don't need to tip those people.

I worked as a bartender in college. I don't have boobs, so I didn't make that much in tips, but I still had to tip out the barbacks and bouncers. To this day I always tip a buck when I order a drink, or if it's not an even dollar amount I put the quarters in the tip jar and throw a dollar in on top. I remember how it was to depend on tips to buy groceries...
Red flag on play . Lol
No boobs? Lol
II had a roommate who was the night shift head bartender at a well know steak house on the Res. In Jackson
That boy made $400 /$600. Every weekend in tips
Through him, I met all the wait staff and we had tip discussions at my house while we partarted. NONE of them. Not OnE, wanted to be paid a salary. They laugh about the tips saying the industry has the population guilt tripped into giving them bigger tips
It has been said that Europe pays a living wage with out tips. But if we implement that system here the food cost will skyrocket

If you do a simple google search you can find the price of a meal in the uk online and compare the pricing
We (uSA). And the Uk charge pretty much the same across the board for a meal. Exceptions being local specialties

Red flag on play . Lol
No boobs? Lol
II had a roommate who was the night shift head bartender at a well know steak house on the Res. In Jackson
That boy made $400 /$600. Every weekend in tips
Through him, I met all the wait staff and we had tip discussions at my house while we partarted. NONE of them. Not OnE, wanted to be paid a salary. They laugh about the tips saying the industry has the population guilt tripped into giving them bigger tips
It has been said that Europe pays a living wage with out tips. But if we implement that system here the food cost will skyrocket

If you do a simple google search you can find the price of a meal in the uk online and compare the pricing
We (uSA). And the Uk charge pretty much the same across the board for a meal. Exceptions being local specialties

I was working in a nightclub. It's a little different scenario than a restaurant. Boobs make a difference in tips! Women generally make around double what men make, in my experience. At the club I worked, all the waitresses made server wage, I think at that time it was 2.13/hr. Bar staff like bartenders, barbacks, and security made 4.75/hr., which was minimum wage at that time. What I recall was making 40-50 a night, while the female bartenders pulled around a hundred on a good night. Women didn't tip anybody well, and men didn't tip men well, only women batenders, and the prettier the better for tips. Now, when I worked at a pizza bar I did better compared to the women because I was able to build up a base of regulars. I had time most night to interact with them. I made less in total tips, a lot of weeks I worked 4 nights and made maybe 125 bucks in tips, but I made more per customer and I didn't have to tip out...

The huge push for larger tips has gotten out of hand. I hear many people say you should tip more because the cost of living keeps going up and the people need larger tips to help with the high cost of living. Well, if 15% was considered a good tip 30 years ago when you could get a full dinner at a casual restaurant for $10 the tip would be $1.50. If inflation pushed that $10 dinner to $30 that same 15% tip would now be $4.50. Looks like the tip already adjusted for the cost of inflation. Aside from exceptional service such as your beverage always topped off before it was empty, very polite and pleasant or fun personality, or sufficiently checking back to see if everything is OK or if anything else is needed I don't see a need to increase the percentage of the tip. But, around here the few mom and pop type restaurants I do visit on rare occasions if things are good I will tip 20%. Maybe 2 or 3 times a year I may go to places like Texas Roadhouse or the good Chinese place and then my tip depends on service. Good service is a good tip, poor service (where it is obviously due to a lousy server) is a small tip or even no tip if it was very bad. I will not reward a terrible server and I will mention the bad service to the manager on the way out.

I can't imagine why anyone would ever leave a tip at a fast food joint or a take away place. I've even seen people leave tips at a pizza parlor.

I don't tip at fast food restaurants even if they bring a tray with my food. A Pizza parlor is different. If it is a place where I am seated and a server takes my order and brings my meal, I will tip. If I am walking up to a counter to place my order, and carrying it back to a table, I will not.

I do tip cab or Uber drivers. I tip the girl who cuts my hair, and I am more than generous with bartenders. It doesn't bother me to tip. I have a very close friend who will penny pinch, and complain about the tax on the bill. "I'm not leaving a tip on the tax." Swear to God. I will shame him into it. What do you think you are saving? 50 cents? You should be tipping more anyway.

Last edited:
My whole problem with tipping is being TOLD I need to tip
MAN you do not know me, but here is a hint
If you ask me . Will move heaven and earth in my effort to do as asked
If you tell me, I will dig in like an old Georgia Mule and refuse to budge

Tip=gratuity =something I freely give as appreciation
Forced tipping=extortion = hold your breath. Homie dont play dat

Tipping has gotten out of hand, every one wants a tip.
I want to explore what a tip is and who , if anyone should receive it

I was with my preacher the other day and we pulled into sonic. We ordered and I handed the girl my card to pay
On the tip line I drew a zero
Matt was driving so he was the middle man. He noticed the no tip and asked
You don’t tip? I said sure I tip but I do not tip a person who is being paid a wage
Then he said she did bring the food to the window
I almost blew a gasket but stayed calm
My rebuttal was
If they took orders but did not bring the food to you the doors would not be open long. Seems to me delivery is part of the cost of the food

So let’s see about what us and is not part of your meal
When you walk into a restaurant
These things must happen or the business can not stay open
They seat you
They give you a menu and take your order
Deliver your meal
Give you a check
Collect the money
All of those actions are included in the price of your meal
Do not believe me? Subtract one of those tasks and the customer does not get his meal

So what is left that comes under the heading of a gratuity?
Filling your tea glass the 2nd time?
I refuse to pay 20% of my bill for you to pour me a glass of tea
I tipped a realtor once. There was some strategy in my buying a property. My realtor firmly insisted that I lower the offer by $20K. I was insistent I wanted the property and was willing to pay more. The realtor convinced me, the seller took the lower offer and I saved $20K. I tipped the realtor $2K in gold. He earned it.

I tipped a realtor once. There was some strategy in my buying a property. My realtor firmly insisted that I lower the offer by $20K. I was insistent I wanted the property and was willing to pay more. The realtor convinced me, the seller took the lower offer and I saved $20K. I tipped the realtor $2K in gold. He earned it.
That realtor was worth it. Although, with the price of real estate these days, I'm starting to get the opinion that the realtors get enough as it is...

That is
That it s what a tip us for!👍

I over tip if I have good service. If I get bad service/ no tip and let management know. A bad server is devaluing the restaurant. I waitressed for many years. I loved it, had fun and did very well.

Tipping a realtor? Never heard of such a thing. They're already making 6% on the sale. I got a haircut last week. It cost $10. No way was I going to tip for a 5 minute cut. I'm on a fixed income now days so money is always tight. Plus, it's not my responsibility to help make up someone's low salary. We spent $51 for breakfast this morning. I tipped my usual $2.00.

I always tipped in America.
Since they introduced minimum wage here I tip less, partially because I don't have it, and they are earning more than me. I do tip the younger waitressing staff, because their minimum wage, stupidly, is lower than over 18, and I feel they are being used. I am more inclined to tip for a good service, and I've noticed lately tipping coins say for lunch or dinner, is not done. We don't have a gratuity line on our dockets here, at least not where I live. As a former waitress i'm also inclined to make sure the right person gets it!

Latest posts

Back