Do you "TRULY" believe most preppers are serious...???

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are many, maybe most in this thread "So Far" that are little more then weaseling out of responsibility. No offence "SHEEPDOG", I simple picked yours as it was at the bottom of posts so far. But it is an example of how "Current prepping think functions. EVERYONE gets a socially acceptable excuse for halfheartedly working at prepping.
We are all different
We all have different lifestyles
We all live in different locations
We all have different financial abilities
We all have different physical abilities
We all have different family situations
etc. times 100
excuses.

The simple truth is that to be serious, requires work, study, focus, effort, commitment, etc. X 100.

So, people sell out to "Good Enough". Everyone wants an "EASY" checklist, of prepping things. Few, very FEW are truly committed to survival.

Hell, the truth is most have zero firsthand experience with experiencing Survival. What passes for survival is one parent is layed-off and trawing unemployment. People are going to be in shock at in-your-face survival in the future. We have been existing in a social illusion.
Being a person of limited means I do say "good enough... for now".

I have to stay focused on the most important preparations first. In my case that is ensuring The Princess is not destitute when I pass. That rules out relocating my family to a remote location that would be safe in the event that MAY happen.

I am serious when an opportunity presents itself. At the earliest opportunity I elected to have ALL of my teeth pulled to eliminate my need for dental services. I followed through by getting used to eating without dentures. I need a pocket knife to eat apples and radishes fresh from the tree and garden but I can handle most everything else.

In the end only the " searcher if hearts" can determine if we are serious.

Just my 2 cents

Ben

I feel prepping, preparedness, is not just storing a bunch food, but being ABLE to survive! So I feel, NO, a lot of preppers are not serious!!
I posted this because I practice survival skills. In a post apocalyptic world I will give it my best! I will not be part of a group holed up with someone else in the leadership position! I am always prepared for things like the current ice storm that is happening. I want for nothing, I do not need electricity! I practice for SHTF survival! ALL prepping is smart, NO prepping is not!

I guess you have to buy cases of canned salmon, canned beef stew, B&M Brown Bread, and instant mashed potatoes and be ready to kill a starving individual that might seek something from your stash to be considered a serious prepper.
No really. But that is a very common excuse for being unprepared. And arrogantly assuming others would not help others. However, a primary foundation of "OLD SCHOOL" prepping theory, was and continues don't be don't reside near unprepared humans.

New theory is flawed, study old prepping theory. You are welcome to attack me any time, just expect a counterattack. Something your "dear friend" Bearfoot Farmer Learned.

I guess you have to buy cases of canned salmon, canned beef stew, B&M Brown Bread, and instant mashed potatoes
Yes, having four and half years of food in storage is slightly more than half what the Bible advises. Especially if slightly less than half of the food is buried in a static climate-controlled environment, of 34 to 36 degrees.

No really. But that is a very common excuse for being unprepared. And arrogantly assuming others would not help others. However, a primary foundation of "OLD SCHOOL" prepping theory, was and continues don't be don't reside near unprepared humans.

New theory is flawed, study old prepping theory. You are welcome to attack me any time, just expect a counterattack. Something your "dear friend" Bearfoot Farmer Learned.
So, what you're saying is a person should move if a neighbor is not a prepper?

In regards to the remainder of your post, I have no idea what you're talking about. Would you like to explain so I and others will understand.

To me, serious prepping (or survivalism) is about being prepared with the capabilities/resources that are required for long term survival through very severe crises.

The first step in getting that prepared is being objective about what that requires and objectively assessing how well prepared you are now.

The first step(s) in failing to get that prepared are to:
1) Subjectively assess you are already well enough prepared - when you are not
2) Imagine up scenarios where what you have will be all that you need - when it is not
3) Ignore human history and adopt normalcy bias that tells you things that severe never happen or will never happen to me. Go further than that and ignore all the signs that things are heading that way every day
4) Assess that someone/something else is going to save you (like a community group or someone you know or some higher being) - when they will not
5) Decide that it is not worth you trying - and while everyone dies sometime, most underestimate how horrible death in a very severe crisis might be
6) Decide that it is not worth anyone trying - based upon the fallacy that preparedness for very severe crises is impossible for all

Like many things in life, failure is easy, success is hard.

That is why the world is full of people who fail and indeed more often then not, fail before they even try.

Most failure occurs inside peoples heads.

Quitters never win and winners never quit.

Last edited:
Like others have mentioned, Prepping is just a new term. I grew up around my grandparents who all lived thru the great depression and worked their ways out of it. Farmers who raised their food, built their own buildings and some equipment, repaired what ever was tore up and needed fixing. I learned much of what drives me to this day from them. It's a way of life. I'm not as self suffeicent as they were, but I strive daily to get there. Not sure I ever will, but I'll work toward that as hard and as long as I can.

Hardcalibers your 6 points are accurate IMO. And this part is well stated and 100% accurate.

"Like many things in life, failure is easy, success is hard.

That is why the world is full of people who fail and indeed more often then not, fail before they even try.

Most failure occurs inside peoples heads.

Quitters never win and winners never quit."

So, what you're saying is a person should move if a neighbor is not a prepper?
I did NOT say or imply that. Humans currently, "MOST" humans currently; live in a social "agreed" structure, where-in there are rules of behavior, and legal ramifications for failure to comply. But under that is the hard truth that humans are animals. Yes, we play nice, most of us play nice, largely because we don't want to go to prison. I am a very nice person, but I am keenly aware of what I would do if starving, or my loved ones were starving. I will become a vicious animal, and so would you. This is why when things get very-very ugly you don' want to be near starving, thirsty, unsheltered humans.

I am a very nice person, but I am keenly aware of what I would do if starving, or my loved ones were starving. I will become a vicious animal...
You probably won't get too many post-apocalypse brunch invitations. Maybe as the main course. Open carrying your viciousness is strategically inferior to concealed carrying it.

I've been called a prepper by family members and told them I'm not a prepper. I simply live traditionally and sorta naturally. I think it's wiser - maybe it's just wiser for me. On that same note, I think part of living traditionally is being prepared to a certain extent. If by living so, I have a better chance at survival, so be it - a natural consequence.

(Wanted to give input prior to reading the other posts so you got my un-swayed thought.) Now will read the other posts.

You probably won't get too many post-apocalypse brunch invitations. Maybe as the main course. Open carrying your viciousness is strategically inferior to concealed carrying it.
I expect only the elite will be giving and accepting warm meal invitations.
I live (8) Months of the year with serious monsters that desire me as the main course.

I will not choose life with 11 neighbors I don't know, holed up in my cabin.
You might be even happier moving where you would have eleven "MILLION" neighbors, where-in you might be friends with a very few. That is how hundreds of millions (maybe BILLIONS) of people live today in massive cities.

You might be even happier moving where you would have eleven "MILLION" neighbors, where-in you might be friends with a very few. That is how hundreds of millions (maybe BILLIONS) of people live today in massive cities.
60+ years and I've never worried about being eating by a predator. There ARE other predators, potentially more deadly , but thats another discussion. There are reasons a prudent man goes armed. For people, It's not millions, but it's more than a few. We all choose our own path to peace and happiness :)

Last count for the county was
  • 830,639 (1 April 2020)
The other side of the county is 40 minutes by car.

The township is more manageble:
Screenshot 2023-02-01 at 8.13.48 PM.png

Last edited:
always seemed to me that the seriousness of each prepper depends on their personal level of awareness of whats going on that can impact their lives.
Being seriously prepared should cover that and much-much more. There are many things that are beyond our awareness. I never understand why so many chose to under prioritize prepping.

Back when I was working I would have to occasionally travel to customers facilities for final acceptance testing. I would live out of a suit case for a week or more at a time. Many rimes I looked out of my hotel windows with a view of ticky tacky houses in a matrix as far as I could see. I would look at that and think "there isn't enough land left over to feed all of those people. It frightened me to think of an EMP happening while was surrounded by all of that humanity hundreds of miles from home. Really scary.

That my dear brothers and sisters is why I surrendered my office key and passwords to retire and eliminate that threat from my life at the first opportunity. It was an entertaining job where I was able to interact with some of the greatest engineers and scientists in the world but not worth the stress of being surrounded by a sea of humanity far from home. I don't regret retiring.

James Burke Connections The Trigger Event that shaped me so many years ago.

Ben

Pretty sure we have some-what competing schools of thought going on in here. A few people are saying (with a lot of words) that to get their seal of prepper approval, you need to live a survivalist lifestyle.

Then there's the people who have a threat model somewhere below endless global apocalypse. They do a SWOT analysis on their life and take steps to improve their odds of survival according to their threat model.

Anybody who takes an active on-going approach to prepping is serious about it. They just have a different threat model.

I think of genuine survivalists as Olympic preppers. Their entire life revolves around it, and they're good at it. They live a humble life and put all their resources into their passion.

Then you have the parks and rec summer league. Those are the people who make an ongoing commitment to being prepared, while still managing to have other aspects to their lives.

Then you have the BBQ preppers. These are the ones that buy a case of baked beans and water as Costco the day before a storm hits.

Almost forgot. Then you have the "professional" preppers. These can be differentiated from the Olympic preppers by only being in it for YouTube fame and sponsorship money. It's 50/50 if they would break in the first 3 days or survive by using their former YT fame to become a post-apocalyptic cult leader.

Put me in Parks and Rec :). Lori might be there too, she told about cans of chili at costco and gave the expiration date on the can. The couple that have the farm she boards Star at have been a good influence on her too, they are at least parks and rec preppers.

Many times I looked out of my hotel windows with a view of ticky tacky houses in a matrix as far as I could see.
40 some years ago I had to go to Detroit. Arrived about 4:am and no busses were running, it was a long expensive cab ride to the hotel. There were thousands of single-story homes about five feet apart, the size of a two car garage, each exactly the same. I figure they were built in the 40's & 50's. My thought was what if a fire combined with high wind hit those.

Pretty sure we have some-what competing schools of thought going on in here. A few people are saying (with a lot of words) that to get their seal of prepper approval, you need to live a survivalist lifestyle.

Then there's the people who have a threat model somewhere below endless global apocalypse. They do a SWOT analysis on their life and take steps to improve their odds of survival according to their threat model.

Anybody who takes an active on-going approach to prepping is serious about it. They just have a different threat model.

I think of genuine survivalists as Olympic preppers. Their entire life revolves around it, and they're good at it. They live a humble life and put all their resources into their passion.

Then you have the parks and rec summer league. Those are the people who make an ongoing commitment to being prepared, while still managing to have other aspects to their lives.

Then you have the BBQ preppers. These are the ones that buy a case of baked beans and water as Costco the day before a storm hits.

Almost forgot. Then you have the "professional" preppers. These can be differentiated from the Olympic preppers by only being in it for YouTube fame and sponsorship money. It's 50/50 if they would break in the first 3 days or survive by using their former YT fame to become a post-apocalyptic cult leader.
WE call the BBQ preppers "French Toast" preppers. Get the Eggs, Milk and Bread, it's gonna snow/rain/weather.

Prepping is a lot like using the everyday carry. It is called everyday carry because you carry it every day.
After 51 years you rarely talk about it or let it show because it has been there and will be there.
I have been prepping for a bit over that 51 year stretch. I've got more than a years worth of water stored, a pair of streams and a good well . I have multiple good shelters that are stocked with food and tools for making staying alive easier. I have several stoves and fuel to feed them. I have good friends and limited family that are prepping in similar ways. We don't talk about it much but if somebody needs help a single phone call is all it takes. If one of us is unloading wood or groceries from a trailer we stop and help. That is what friends do.
If you don't think that we are serious you will have to ask yourself which is worth more to you; satisfying your curiosity or being with your family and friends.

If I used nothing but the number of people that have bought and then sold land near me that came with lots of big talk about the homestead they were going to build and include myself in the numbers ... out of 10 me being 10% of that number, I'd calculate that 90% do not take it seriously.

Seems like a big pitfall for preppers is to climb up on a high horse and look down on anybody who doesn't do it their way. The higher the horse, the harder the fall.
It can also be argued that the biggest pitfall for unprepared people is that, at some point when discussing/considering more comprehensive preparedness, they will decide it is better to focus upon what is wrong with preppers rather than if more/better preparedness is a good idea or not.

It is easier to be critical of preppers than it is to make a case that preparedness is a bad idea and not worth doing. It is easier to label preppers advocating for greater preparedness in others as arrogant, than it is to accept that with greater preparedness comes lower risk - and that those that choose not to get well prepared are actually tacitly accepting elevated risks of many, many more severe undesirable events happening to them (and those around them).

The biggest risk for well prepared people is not arrogance bringing us unstuck (like falling off a high horse). The biggest risk for well prepared preppers is that nothing will happen during our lifetime (and/or where we are located). In that case, preparedness could be argued to have been a waste of time, money and effort - but most more seriously prepared people have already been prepping long enough to accept that risk. Most serious preppers have woven the path of their life choices, occupations, hobbies and prepping activities together so that they are mostly inseparable anyway.

Part of having a survivalist mindset is thinking that if nothing happens, then great, nothing happened and things stayed peachy......it was never the worst that could have happened.

Seems like a big pitfall for preppers is to climb up on a high horse and look down on anybody who doesn't do it their way. The higher the horse, the harder the fall.
That is the way "You" see it. That is also the way most see it. In my opinion the only preppers looking down on other preppers (get ready, this will shock you) are preppers who are not very prepare at all, or more likely only slightly more prepared than those who experience intimidation.

Preppers who are really prepared, can in my observation can be divided into two types.

1.) Those who never say anything reference prepping.....NOTHING. You would actually assume they had ZERO interest in prepping for survival.

2.) Those who seriously care about others, love others, but are keenly/vividly aware that in a long-term serious SHTF event, they will be essentially helpless to help others without endangering their loved ones. And as the result, they push other preppers to get substantially "more" prepared.

My personal most profound experience at attempting to help someone in threat of eminent death, was a drowning person, who was "fighting" to drown me while attempting to save them.

Last edited:
the biggest reason people wont prep is our society has this woven lifestyle of living pay check to pay check mentality .its a broadbrush statement but fits much.

as example you can buy a 50# of oatmeal for $42.50 in fall of 2022.....it was $26 in 2021. this will feed you breakfast daily for well over a year. yes...i have tested this out. was $26 now $42.50 dollars folks for one meal a day for a year PLUS!

we view large bags of items as why so much or thats to much since industry has steered away from the large bulk items in favor of smaller portions to gain more profit .in past bulk bags were discounted for volume and i been seeing that discount going away. but still for me its easier to get bulk..i dont want to go to town for dribs and drabs of goods myself.i have much better things to do..like fishing or gardening.

it goes on and on.

p.s.just checked 50# of white rice is $25

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back