Does it seem like this to you, too?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When it gets over 75º we're too wiped out to complain, the only thing we can do is to find some shade and a cold beer.
Party with @Pearl's 100s! :woo hoo:.
Tip: You will need lots of beer:drink buddy:.
I plead guilty to being a southerner that complains about cold weather.:(

Party with @Pearl's 100s! :woo hoo:.
Tip: You will need lots of beer:drink buddy:.
I plead guilty to being a southerner that complains about cold weather.:(
100℉? I don't need a beer I need an ambulance, one with AC.

That Southerners complain more about cold weather than Northerners complain about hot weather?
Define "cold weather". I've met southerners who think temps under 65 is cold and they break out their winter coats. 🤪

Define "cold weather". I've met southerners who think temps under 65 is cold and they break out their winter coats. 🤪
Exactly!
Take right now for instance, the sun has set and the temp has dropped to a perilous 50° :oops:.
I can't go out without putting on my coat first.

I bet if I searched this forum that I'd find that you were disappointed with the 100ºF-plus temps that Texans experienced for many days this past summer. :) :) :)
...Being a confirmed gambler, I'd take that bet:thumbs:.
If she was disappointed, it is likely because she didn't hit her 108°, like last year.:(

So what you're saying is if a Southerner has to put on a heavy shirt, sweat shirt, or jacket over his t-shirt, it's considered cold weather? :D
Exactly!
As I type, I have a long sleeve flannel shirt over my t-shirt.
...And it still isn't enough to go out in the 50° temp.
When you get older like me, and your joints start singing the same tune as mine, you will understand why millions of retired people moved to Florida :).

Exactly!
As I type, I have a long sleeve flannel shirt over my t-shirt.
...And it still isn't enough to go out in the 50° temp.
When you get older like me, and your joints start singing the same tune as mine, you will understand why millions of retired people moved to Florida :).
How old are you? I am 70. If it was 50º, I would be out cutting firewood.

That Southerners complain more about cold weather than Northerners complain about hot weather?
Back to the original post.
I post a lot about acclimating to the hot weather...
We do.
We laugh like crazy when the Yankees invade down here for July 4th.
Oh no, they don't complain.... they melt!
76354-151b90dd9136ad1e6bf6ca687dc37b7c.data

Lived in both. Alabama, Texas, Louisian, yep they can’t take the cold. Lived in Rhode Island and North Dakota, yep, they complain in the heat. So who complains more? The south in the cold. That said, I’d love to see a northerner live in southern Louisiana in August to see how they handle it.

Lived in both. Alabama, Texas, Louisian, yep they can’t take the cold. Lived in Rhode Island and North Dakota, yep, they complain in the heat. So who complains more? The south in the cold. That said, I’d love to see a northerner live in southern Louisiana in August to see how they handle it.
I know I couldn't. 80ºF is my maximum.

When I moved from Canada to Venezuela, I whined like a 2 year old needing a nap. It was a consistent 30-32°C and I was half baked. Then I moved to Egypt and took up took up horse riding 25-80 km a day out in the desert at 35°+C . The second year the air conditioning in the Pajero quit and it couldn't be fixed. I got used to Pearl level heat driving around in a hot truck with my tongue hanging out.

Eventually when I go back to Canada, I found temperature has muscle memory. I was able to revert back to cold my first winter. We hit 100°F this summer and I didn't have a problem with it either. Given a choice though, I much prefer cold climes.

During my working career I worked in many hot places around the world, like the middle east, Asia, Africa etc. I also worked in cold places, like Antarctica and the north slope of Alaska. It's a tough call about what I prefer better, hot or cold climates. I guess I would prefer cold climates slightly better. But then when I worked in Russia, the warmer it got, the shorter the skirts got.

I live right in the middle. Does that mean I can complain about both? I don't think I complain either way. Temperature is part of the weather. It is what it is, and you take the hand life deals you. Absolutely nothing you can do about it. If it is so offensive move.

I do prefer hot over cold. I am still a desert rat at heart.

I prefer cold to the miserable humid heat of Florida. Or the dry miserable heat of the desert. As much as I love India I could never live there because of the heat. We were in Jaipur in March and it was way over 100 degrees already. Miserable weather. But the Florida humidity in August is the worst

but I wouldn't want to live in Alaska either

Latest posts

Back