Does it seem like this to you, too?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Right now in Twin Falls County ID (0630 MST) it's 13º F; I believe it's a cold as I've ever been. Back in Maricopa County AZ in the early '90s, we had three days in a row which broke and set a new record, which was broken again the next day: 120ºF, 121ºF, and 122ºF (50ºC).

Been there, done that; I'd be willing to compromise on 75º days and 55º nights from now on.

This was taken 4 months ago. I really hate that much heat!
20200905_140831.jpg

Shame on you breaking my heart😃
I think on September 5th he was just being greedy :mad:.
You are supposed to share that with the 'less-fortunate' people up north.:(

I spent most of my youth in south-western AZ and remember summer nights that never got down to 100F. Spent a lot of days doing road service tire work when the retreads just wouldn't stay on due to the high road temperatures>120F... but it was a dry heat. :) I don't love the heat, but I don't hate it either. I do hate humidity, you just can't get cool when it's warm and the humidity is >90%..

As for cold, I don't like the cold much (think of a Chihuahua), but I like to hunt in the snow. But, once it gets into the negative double digits, I find it really hard to sit quietly in a tree.

Now, I really hate it when it is 33F and raining... I mean I really hate that, if my ears get wet in those conditions I am going to get sick... Like I said, think of a Chihuahua. - Gripe completed :)

Yes, I am a certified DESERT RAT.... can't deny that label.

Down to -20℉, sneakers, jeans, short sleeve tee, and a baseball cap, if there is no wind. I'm currently living on the water. The humidity make all the difference. I'd rather be in a dry -20℉ than a moist 20℉.

I didn't know Jersey had any 600 acre tracks. Thats pretty cool.
There was a time when NJ had more horses than Kentucky. Once you get away from Newark airport area, Hudson County and the NYC area, Jersey is beautiful, natural and history rich. Most think we are a little sibling to NYC.

I left Manahawkin nj in a snow storm one night. Missed the ben franklin bridge into philly, ended up in delaware!!! Yes, i cursed the snow that night!

Speaking of which... today.

Alabama declares state of emergency for 25 counties ahead of winter storm
Updated: Jan. 14, 2024, 2:34 p.m.

Gov. Kay Ivey on Sunday issued a state of emergency for 25 Alabama counties as the state this week faces a threat of winter storms.....

https://www.al.com/news/2024/01/ala...cy-for-25-counties-ahead-of-winter-storm.html
-------------------------------------------

Many homes below the 34th parallel aren't built for long periods below 20 degrees. There are a lot of pre-fab and mobile homes. Then, there are no plows or salt trucks. 4 inches of snow will turn all paved surfaces into a skating rink... for 100's of miles. This storm will kill people.

I lived in buffalo ny twice, stationed in chicago. Below 20? a joke up north. I once washed road salt off my truck at diy car wash when it was -6. Those self wash places in ny had heated water. Fill the truck with gas? Sure, I had a parka from maine, lined snow boots and gloves rated for saturn.

Also in buffalo i survived the worst heat wave in 2 decades. temps hitting 95/7, 80 at night. Talk about a bunch whiny b*s. All I heard was complaining, for 10 days. Then another month whining about how hot it had been! So I’m not buying the ‘more than’ one bit!.🤣

Last edited:
I’m a lifelong Floridian.
I never complain about the cold, because when it’s 105 in the shade in July and August I’m praying for a cool breeze.
And the beauty of North Florida is even when it’s in the 20’s at sunrise it’s still in the 50’s or 60’s by noon.

Example - this morning when I left for work at 6:45 it was 33 degrees.
At 1:30 when I went to lunch it was 67 degrees.
Leave for work in a sweatshirt and a flannel jacket, come home in short sleeves.
I love it y’all !!!!!

Latest posts

Back