Dog Attack

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mosquitomountainman

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
This was a first for me. We had been swimming at a local reservoir. I was not swimming myself but Scott was in the water (15 to 25 feet deep) and I was basically stripped down to a swim suit in case I had to go in after him (he can't swim as well as he thinks he can). We had left the swimming area and my wife and I were watching the kids on the playground. Both of our dogs were on leashes and laying under the picnic table. A car drove up and when they opened the door two dogs jumped out. The smaller one ran over and began barking at our dogs. Our border collie jumped up to meet them but was on a short leash and still under the table. The big dog (pit bull) saw our border collie and headed straight for her. It grabbed her by the neck and wouldn't let go. The owner was pulling on the collar by then (he'd was there almost as fast as the dog) but the dog wouldn't release his grip. I grabbed an empty Snapple bottle and slammed the pit bull in the head as hard as I could. It released it's grip and the owner dragged it off. By then I was really angry and"advised" him to get his dog out of there. (I said a lot more than that but this version is the family friendly one.) He and his family left in a hurry. My dog had a cut ear but is otherwise okay.

Lessons learned. First, this stuff happens awfully quick. I had less than a second of warning and the whole thing was over within 3 seconds. Second, I'm glad I had a thick glass bottle. My wife couldn't find the kind of tea I usually drink which comes in a plastic bottle and bought Snapple as a second choice. Makes you realize that God is looking out for us even when we don't have a clue what's coming up. Third, a lot of things can go through your mind in a very short time. First thought was the 9mm I usually have nearby. Didn't have it! I had my Ruger 357 magnum due to bear danger where we were (camping). No way could I conceal it on me so it was in the van 50 yards away and even as I thought of it I realized I couldn't use it in that situation. Too many people nearby and lots of rocks and concrete for bullets to bounce off of and too many innocent people that it could hurt. Next thought was the extendable steel baton I keep in the driver's door. (50 yards away in the car). I was ready to use my fist when I thought of the bottle so I used it. In hindsight the baton would have been perfect and it will soon become a close companion of mine. I had also switched out knives when my spring assist knife's handle broke last week. The knife I was carrying is good for whittling but not for quick action. A knife wouldn't have been the best choice anyway. To much danger to unintended targets.

I'm making a decent sheath for the baton. It will be my constant companion from now on. I had mentally rehearsed for people problems and large predators but not for dog attacks. That has changed as well.

The caretaker was there and got the vehicle license number of the dog's owner. He was going to log it and notify the sheriff's department. They have our contact information if they want to follow up.

Thank the guy upstairs for giving you the presence of mind to react quick enough to retaliate and save your dog.
I was once on camera speaking with a reporter about my police dog when some Cholo let his pittbull go, trying to attack my dog. On camera, I told the guy he had two seconds to get his dog, or I was going to put him down with my .40 cal. He did, I didn't have to shoot, but it created a firestorm with the reporter. I simply said this dog belonged to my police department, was only the dog's caretaker, and had a fiduciary responsibility to keep the $20,000 dog alive. That seemed to work and got praised by many.

I will be the first to admit I have a dog (Akita) that I would never trust at a dog park. She loves her owners and family. Other people she is not familiar with she will barkm never attack, but if there is a smaller breed dog, cat or whatever she will go after to kill and not just attack. I know what my reality is. Every dog owner should also know what their reality is.

We have been told by other people that our border Collie reacts differently to people when she is home and we aren't. She's "not very welcoming" in their words. We got her at the animal shelter and I tested her very carefully for aggression toward other people and animals. She was not aggressive and avoided dogs that were.

I had a GSD once that was not aggressive is in starting fights but on the other hand he never turned one down if the other animal started it. We got him because my first wife liked to walk and there were a couple of dogs that were very aggressive toward her. The "authorities" wouldn't do anything about it despite numerous complaints. She didn't want me to shoot them so we got the GSD. He was being given away due to his aggression toward other dogs. After talking awhile we decided to take him. It was true that he never started a fight but it didn't take a lot of provocation to get him into one. He never lost a fight that I'm aware of. One fight was against five other dogs. The problem dogs never caused problems again. Our son hit one with bear spray but it quickly learned to stay out of range when he was around. Our GSD whipped the other problem dogs so soundly that they never left the porch when my wife walked by after that.

He finally met his match against a cow buffalo (bison) in the neighbor's pasture. Wow, what a fight that was. I finally got him separated and on the other side of the fence. The next time he was in that pasture the herd (7 at the time) came after him and he trotted for the safety of the fence. That's the only time I ever saw him turn down a fight. He eventually died of old age. He had hip displaysia (sp?) and was nearly blind. He got in the habit of barking whenever he heard the train seven miles away or if an airplane went over. We always joked that never once did a train or plane come through the yard while he was there.

P. S. I swore that I would never again own an aggressive dog. That's why any dogs we have had since then have been carefully screened.

Last edited:
Be VERY careful with the bites. They hide well. Watch them very closely for infection. They can get very nasty in a hurry.
Glad everything played out and you got the dog off. This is the reason I no longer take my dogs to public areas. Ruined two great dogs because of it. They never trusted other dogs again. Keep us posted on how your pup is doing please. Prayers to your pup that there’s little to no pain and fast healing.

Last edited:
I will be the first to admit I have a dog (Akita) that I would never trust at a dog park. She loves her owners and family. Other people she is not familiar with she will bark, never attack, but if there is a smaller breed dog, cat or whatever she will go after to kill and not just attack. I know what my reality is. Every dog owner should also know what their reality is.
Sorry, Dani. I wouldn't trust your dog either. Our dear Crosby was attacked by an Akita. Crosby was a gentle, playful, friendly, caring soul. I have seen other Akita's. I see an Akita, and I am ready to leave, right now. They are not dog park animals, at all. The owner of the Akita that attacked Crosby had to get on a plane to go get him. She is an idiot. After her dog attacked Crosby, come to find out, dog had gone after many others. Her response, "He is a good boy." B.S. He is a dog breed, bred to fight. After he attacked another dog, at a dog park, other dog's owner took her to court. Judge told her to NEVER take her dog to a dog park again.

I hope your dog is O.K. and kudos to you for reacting so quickly to stop the threat. Two lessons learned.

First, thank God the dog didn't attack one of the children.

Second, as you stated, things can go sideways in a heartbeat. Your world can be turned completely upside down in the blink of an eye. You can never be to prepared.

Latest posts

Back