Dog Escaped ... Teachable Moment

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thankful_k

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
So I take the dog to the vet last Saturday morning ... I have to actually put her in the horse trailer now, I think she's more comfortable, and she poops (scared) and it doesn't have to get all over her.

So I have to take the leash off while she's in the trailer, because if the leash gets out and tangles on something or slips under a tire ... game over.

Anyway, I get her back and park the trailer in front of the house and go to put the leash on her and put her back in the pasture ... and she slips by me and escapes!!! Arrrrrrrrgggggghhhh!!!! I want to absolutely beat her little butt! She knows I hate this! After two minutes of calling, forget it ... she's on safari, and she'll either come back or she won't. I need to get down to get hay in Weatherford, and I don't have time for this. I text the neighbors to be on the lookout ... then lock the gates to keep the goats in and I head out.

Six hours (and an emergency brake job in Weatherford, they started grinding) later, I get back. Sure enough ... she's there .... and I am furious with her. I know I can't punish her, because she'll associate returning with punishment, and just stay away longer next time. Suddenly, in a rare moment of being smarter than the dog 😐 I have a flash of inspiration: Don't LET her back in! Make her WANT to come back in.

Hmmm ... okay, young lady. You want to be outside? There you go. You're outside ... stay out there. So I piddled around in the pasture, cleaning up, raking, etc., in full view, completely ignoring her, for about a half hour, then went inside, watched TV for a while. She's still out there, probing and sniffing around the fence. Let's sweeten the deal. I got out a full tray of chicken gizzards (her favorite) and set the tray just inside the fence out of reach. Then I disappear for another hour. Then I go back out , this time with a hunk of cheese. I break off just the tiniest smidge, about the size of a BB, and give it to her through the fence. Then I hold the big chunk right up to her nose, even let her lick it, and then lay it on a brick just in side the fence out of reach, and let her stare at it for about 5 minutes while I stare at her.

When I opened that gate she couldn't get in fast enough :)

I didn't let her have the cheese (too much salt), but I immediately led her to the gizzards which she devoured promptly.

Latest posts

Back