Dog Names!

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrocDundee

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
Mine's Knucklehead. His dad's a Labradoodle...French Poodle x Golden Lab. Mum's a Golden Retriever. Smart and a loving spirit. My best friend, actually. this pic was taken by security in the underground parking lot we use. It ended up on their header page of the mall. If he had the keys, he'd be off for a Big Mac at their drive in!

Attachments

• K'hed Sunnyside.jpg
    K'hed Sunnyside.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 4
In rural areas, like where I live, dog names are very important. I have about 100 acres, my dogs can be anywhere on it. Plus, sometimes they might chase a varmint off the farm by a mile or more.

A dogs name needs to be short, can be shouted and will carry on the wind a long ways. I have a list of such names. Some big hollows have an echo. I’ll stand on a hill and shout down the hollow… see which names travel well and echo back.

The best names are one syllable and can be shouted clearly. I do the same for my horses. My last 3 dogs… Ten, Joe, Sam. Last two horses, Bud and Kit. Even animals smart enough to recognize their name are still pretty dumb. Why make it hard for them by giving them names that are in fact several words? I've found that short simple names work best if you need to call the animal.

Last edited:
Right now we have a Tucker, but truth be known his full name is really Tucker U. A$$hxle. He is a good dog, but doesn't mind the way he should and doesn't come when he is called.

We have Four, all dachshunds or partly dachshunds.

The boy: Badger

The 3 girls: Violet, Penny & Myshia.

We had a daschshound named Kirby. I loved that little guy. He ran everywhere he went.

my German Shepherd is Otto , named after my best friend that died and loved dogs. He would have loved this one too
Livestock dogs are Axel and Rose
I'm VERY partial to that name!!♥️ My Dad was German, born in Germany, his nickname was Otto! I almost named Bear Otto!! 💖🙂😉

Dogs:
---
Terra (German Shepard)
Shep (Cocker Spaniel - ran into the E.R. where my wife worked, couldn't find owner, adopted)
Abby (German Shepard)
Cuda (Newfoundland)
January (Jack Russel Terrorist)
All are gone now.

Cats:
---
Samantha (Siamese-like)
OC ("Oh-See", stands for "Other Cat", generic orange cat)
YAFC ("Yaf-See", stands for "Yet Another Ef'ing Cat" - I named that one! generic yellow cat)
Ernie (generic orange)
Megan (Siamese-like)
Megan is still alive (22 years old - unbelievable!), others gone.

Horses:
---
Lenny (Quarter Horse/Thoroughbred)
Aries (Arabian, a.k.a. "Spook-a-Doodle" - due to easily frightened personality and wild eyes - one brown, one blue)
Both gone now.

Birds:
---
George (gray cockatiel)
Bob (white cockatiel - landed in the back yard one day, in the pouring rain, couldn't find owner, adopted - laid an egg once, so renamed to "Bobbie")
Gone.

Rabbit:
---
Buns Bunny (generic, was really large, named after the size of her butt)
Gone.

Fish:
---
Fred (Damselfish, was the first fish into the saltwater aquarium - a "starter fish" - that was supposed to die after a few weeks, but he was the last one out - over 20 years later)
Gone.

I had my 2 mares : Jenny and Daisy ..
I do miss them so much !!!! :confused:

My fawn Great Dane big girl born 2019 -- Maruska

And my 24 cats ..too late to post all their names :)
I can another day this week
***Here all my 24 cats***
names that are alive 2024

Blackie
Vladimir
Igor
TomTom
2 twin grey brothers : *Don and *Dan
2 white brothers: *Dmitri and *Boris

Kurt Cobain
Leo
Samou
DobyDoby

JackJack
Tiny

Bibi *White *
Black *Diamond*
Minette (Calico)
Ruben girl (black)

Lilli Rose
*Teddie White ( not deaf )
*Whitey pink nose (* deaf )
Gertrud dark goo goo
Softy Carolina
Ozzie Light

I forgot ..this one is a long story it happened long ago
I knew a guy who was going to be sent to jail
He knew me ..and he asked me if I can take his dog
*believe it or not the guy cried like a baby to loose his dog than to go in jail*
I did agree to take his dog forever but he asked me to give him news
and talk a bit on phone and send him photos of his dog
Since I knew the guy : I did accept
So his dog was a CKC Reg Rottweiler male of 5 years old
named : Maximilian / MAX
I had to go in basic obedience training classes with him ..all went well
I was lucky the dog likes me a lot..and I did love him much
He lived until 10 years old he did develop osteosarcoma fast
The vet said he was lucky to live that long cuz it happen often in that breed
I had him euthanize I stayed with him ...He is burry at my place ..😥
R.I.P. Max ...his owner died in Jail

Latest posts