Dogs ...all about dogs only

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My wife and I have been rescuing dogs for over 50 years.
From the shelter, from the side of the road.
We've had as many as 8 at one time before, that got down to one and then built back up to four at present. That's about all we can afford, being seniors on Social Security. Our veterinarian has very reasonable prices, but still 4 is all we can take care of.
When we adopt from the shelter, we choose older dogs, preferably 10 years or more. We look for dogs that have been passed by for a long time, also sick dogs.

The last two we adopted were heartworm positive, our county shelter provides all medication for free, and when they test heartworm free the adoption fee is waived.

Right now we have a full blood Black Lab, a Tri Color Hound, a mix of short haired Pointer and Tri Color, and a sweet little Dachshund/something (?) mix.
The 65 pound Lab is my lap dog.

Glad you started this because I have a dog story & didn't know where to post it. The set up:

My wife has a bad back, bad enough that she gets disability for it. She tried a chiropractor years ago but he scared her. Well it has gotten worse over the years & she went to one here. He helped right off so she keeps going back. The one thing that he suggested as a pillow with a large dent/imprint in the middle. That would stretch out her neck while she was sleeping. She bought one of the pillows ($37) & it did help. But then our dogs discovered the pillow & they LOVE IT & would constantly be on it. So she bought another one just for the dogs, who sleep with us by the way. Two mornings in a row I've gone in to wake her up & our youngest (Myshia) has been in the imprint. You see nobody likes the "extra" pillow, they only want the one that my wife uses. Myshia curls around my wife's head & she has long hair so my wife's head gets hot. She moves her head & Myshia gets the pillow. I told her this morning that she can have the pillow as soon as she can outsmart all of the dogs. My wife growled at me. I think it's as funny as all get out!

Cold puppy. It's hard to believe that just 1 week ago he was run over with a tractor and had major surgery.
20240427_075621.jpg

My avatar is my wife's mare, taken at dusk on the homestead with my game camera.
She is a rescue too, we've had her for 20 years now.
At one time we had three horses. The one in the picture, one we rescued from a kill pen, and one that was part of a large sheriff's seizure case of seriously abused animals.
Both of the others died and are buried here on the property.

My mud puppy. She is a digger. Our fenced in dog yard looks like the surface of the moon. It stormed last night and this morning she went out in the yard and dug in the mud. I don’t know if you can see how muddy/dirty she is. When she got up, there was a mud smear in the floor where she was laying. Look at her face and front feet. She digs a whole so deep, she can fit inside it.

Attachments

• IMG_1676.jpeg
    IMG_1676.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1481.mov
    23.5 MB
Last edited:
This is my more civilized dog. Her name is Karma. She is 70% Pittie, 20% cattle dog, 10% Shetland sheepdog. She is an almost perfect dog. All she wants to do is be a good dog. She’s obedient and never gets into trouble. We got her from someone standing in front of WalMart giving her away. I took her fearing what her fate would be and fully intended on getting her into a good home. I noticed she seemed to be an exceptional dog and ended up keeping her.

Attachments

• IMG_1265.jpeg
    IMG_1265.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1238.jpeg
    IMG_1238.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
This is Jax, he was a rescue Rhodesian Ridgeback. Great dog, well trained. I made him his own backpack to carry his gear cause he was a constant hiking companion.

I put him down at the end of last year because one of my neighbors shot him. Damn good dog, best I ever had.
20201005_091204.jpg
IMG_20171010_153355.jpg

This is Jax, he was a rescue Rhodesian Ridgeback. Great dog, well trained. I made him his own backpack to carry his gear cause he was a constant hiking companion.

I put him down at the end of last year because one of my neighbors shot him. Damn good dog, best I ever had.View attachment 128936View attachment 128937
Why did they shoot him????
My mud puppy! We have 4, all rescues, all live in the house and are in our bed. This might be my favorite thread!

View attachment 128939
Haha. That is one muddy pup. It’s hard to keep our floors clean in my house.

This is Teddy Ruxpin, a rescue pulled from a kill shelter, somewhere. Supposed to be mostly sorta Australian Shepard. Might be smarter than I am.
He loves everybody, unless he senses a threat to his pack, then it's Game ON.

1714334357717.png

My mud puppy. She is a digger. Our fenced in dog yard looks like the surface of the moon. It stormed last night and this morning she went out in the yard and dug in the mud. I don’t know if you can see how muddy/dirty she is. When she got up, there was a mud smear in the floor where she was laying. Look at her face and front feet. She digs a whole so deep, she can fit inside it.
My mud puppy. She is a digger. Our fenced in dog yard looks like the surface of the moon.

Our Badger is or was a digger too. I found a quick & easy solution. I bought a bag of quickcrete. Then I lined our fence with a very thin layer of it all the way around. When I finished I got the water hose & sprinkled water all around it. The quickcrete hardened in a thin sheet. No more digging out of the yard.

Our Myshia is about 4 months old now. She is supposed to be 100% dachshund. However I've come to the conclusion that she is 1/3rd dachshund, 1/3rd screech owl and 1/3rd woolybooger. She looks like a woolybooger, sounds like a screech owl (I've never heard anything but a screech owl hit that high of a note) & her other traits are of a dachshund. When we got her she weighted almost 4 lbs (she's a true miniature) & on day 2 she was attacking our other dogs (the smallest weights about 16 lbs). She has gained probably almost 2 lbs & maybe 0.25 of an inch in height but is only a few inches in length from out others. She's also fast! I figure that she can run so fast because there isn't much wind resistance. Oh & her ears almost drag on the ground.

Hey, I have brand new dog backpacks, soft sided water bowls... anyone - let me know if you're interested.
The story of the Beaver (Teddy/Theodore) and his soft sided water bowl is a whole nother thread :p

Our 15 month old pups. Siblings, male (Chess), female (Luna). 67% (top 3 breeds) of each of their DNA is Australian Cattle Dog, American Miniature Shepherd, and Siberian Husky. They are incredibly loving dogs. Both are rescues.

1 month Luna, Chess
IMG_5515.JPGIMG_5518.JPG

10 months Luna, Chess
IMG_6520 2.JPGIMG_6371.JPG

15 months Luna, Chess
IMG_7118.JPGIMG_6804.JPG

Luna is a true princess in every regard, and Chess is all male.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back