Dogs ...all about dogs only

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wish people were more responsible pet owners. My current mutt is a prue bred German short-haired pointer. A few weeks ago my wife accidentally ran him over with the tractor. Two vets said that he should be put down. I was going to do it, until he looked up at me and wagged his tail. I couldn't pull the trigger. So we drove another hundred miles and took him to an animal hospital. After 3 days in the hospital, major surgery and $10,000 he survived. He's back to his old goofy self now.
BLESS YOUR HEART!

What a great story!!!

My Daughters dog Roxy passed & we buried her on the farm.
1716694023491.png

This is my life. I don't have any pets but the female squatter who took up residence has a couple big ass dogs that help with facility security while slobbering all over, eating like the offensive line of a football team and begging her for constant attention. I get up, she sleeps in, and they just stare at me like somehow its my job to let them outside.

1716825583454.jpeg

OK, Myshia's little sister arrived a few days ago for a visit. (Myshia, mini dachshund, dapple long hair). Kako is her name (mini dachshund, black & brown, long hair). Kako started out overwhelmed because we have 4 dachshunds. But she quickly got into the swing of things. By the morning of the 2nd day she was "family" with everyone. They look a LOT alike btw. Myshia is a little taller, longer & has a longer nose. The 3 main differences are that Kako isn't an "eater" like most dachshund, she doesn't know how to scrap & fight (not around dogs her size at home) & she jumps on furniture (& people). Myshia doesn't jump at all really. We started picking her up from the start & are dumb enough to still do it. Anyway, when they fight Myshia quickly overcomes her sister because she is used to fighting our others who are triple her weight. Fun to watch. It's been a good visit.

I learned something. Two people & five dogs in a bed doesn't work. Normally Penny our 2nd youngest female doesn't sleep with us. I guess that she didn't want to be left out. While jockeying for sleeping positions the weakest of the herd loses out. I learned that would be me. Last night, not so bad. The night before, I woke up hanging off the bed & my body was twisted. I almost had to wake my wife up to help me get up & once up, every muscle in my body hurt from laying like that. Next time we have her I'm going to sleep on the couch. Fun visit though!!!! Oh & the sister can do that screech that Myshia does but not as high or as often.

Dogs...such great companions and family members. When I was living in Canada I had several dogs over the years, starting with a border collie, really smart, but too high-strung for me even the kids. Switched to Rotties and they became my favorite. My last Rottie (Luger... the kids called him Luger Booger) was the best dog I ever had, maybe it was finally getting the training right on my part. He loved adventures and I modified some old motorcycle saddlebags to fit him, he loved it, and I would pack extra stuff on him that I could not fit in my backpack. He would stand so proud when I put it on him like he was saying "Look at ME... Let's GO!". He loved to cuddle and was a great family protector. I miss that dog. Now I foster shelter dogs, once in a while, and train them so they have a better chance of being adopted. They certainly live up to the saying "man's best friend".

So I might say a Dane-Lab mix

Very beautiful baby boy 🥰
I am sure he is loved dearly
He's a little rotten ...
We have 4 rescues ... so we are just blessed they let us live in their house and sleep in their bed! lol

20190106_184042.jpg

Two dogs in a fray last night , I suppose with our resident " mountain lion " . One of the dogs is hopping along on three legs this morning . It should recover . I held in reserve a third dog " by for the toughest and most aggressive . Now I know I should have let her join the fray . The reason I held her in reserve was I was afraid whatever was in the darkness might be of human origin and I didn't want someone being ripped up . Anyone interested can see a picture of the big cat on this forum's " post any photo thread " .

Last edited:
Back