Dominique Roosters

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redbeard

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
Man these birds are nuts! I love them. Dominique's are Americas oldest breed of chicken. They were made during colonial times. They have a rose bud comb and are incredibly cold hardy. They have been known to kill weasels, cats, snakes, and i have even seen my prize rooster kill and eat a mouse whole. Well i had a late male from this years hatch that i was saving to sell in the spring as a ready to go bird and my main rooster broke into his pen and killed him tonight! Not really sure how he even got in. When i went out to feed the crew my main rooster was stuck in the pen and my profits were murdered dead. Guess his free ranging days are over! If he ever got in with my cornish rooster it would be bad bad bad! Holy crap!

So sorry about the roo. We had a beautiful relative of Dominiques, Barred Rock. He was huge and loud, had to give him away. Last time we had both and will order more in Spring. Nice hardy dual purpose birds lay big brown eggs and good for meat too.

So sorry about the roo. We had a beautiful relative of Dominiques, Barred Rock. He was huge and loud, had to give him away. Last time we had both and will order more in Spring. Nice hardy dual purpose birds lay big brown eggs and good for meat too.
Thank you! Im impressed that you knew the barred rocks were a relative of the Dominique! not may people do and most that think they know it can't see the difference in the baring between the two. Very cool!

Thank you! Im impressed that you knew the barred rocks were a relative of the Dominique! not may people do and most that think they know it can't see the difference in the baring between the two. Very cool!

Yes we wanted to have hardy birds so we chose them. Our roo was named Rudy. He was a fighter too except he left me alone but attacked all other who went around him.

Yes we wanted to have hardy birds so we chose them. Our roo was named Rudy. He was a fighter too except he left me alone but attacked all other who went around him.
Ha! My main Dominique rooster attacks only me and during breeding season. He leaves everyone else alone. We have had some battles me and him. But he is great to his ladies and never roughs them up, a rooster can go after me all it wants but i have zero tolerance for an aggressive rooster towards my hens.

Ha! My main Dominique rooster attacks only me and during breeding season. He leaves everyone else alone. We have had some battles me and him. But he is great to his ladies and never roughs them up, a rooster can go after me all it wants but i have zero tolerance for an aggressive rooster towards my hens.

It is funny how sweet the hens are in this breed and aggrassive the roos are. But they are not any worse than the others really. We had some really mean bamtams. I love these birds they are quite and sweet most of the time. Hens that is,lol.

You must have been the one to feed him. That makes a big difference!

One would think..... But not mine, i feed him, still hates my guts. Same with my cornish rooster. Some birds, like people, are just **** heads.

Question of the two which would you suggest to a beginner. I had planned to go with Cornish. I'm not a complete novice but haven't raised chickens in years.

Latest posts

Back