Doomsday Prep For Non-Paranoid People

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Americans speak English ?? :) In their dreams old boy :)
Well hell, Bill. Most people in England don't speak English, they speak Anglo-Cornish, Black Country, Bristolian, Brummie, Cheshire, Cockney, Coventry, Cumbrian, Dorset, East Midlands, Essaxon, Estuary, Geordie, Hartlepudlian, Janner, Kentish, Lancastrian, Mackem, Mancunian, Multicultural London, Norfolk, Northumbrian, Pitmatic, Pompey, Potteries, Scouse, Smoggie, Suffolk, Sussex, or Yorkshire!
And that's just England. Then there are all the Scottish, Welsh, Irish, and Island languages and dialects!

Well hell, Bill. Most people in England don't speak English, they speak Anglo-Cornish, Black Country, Bristolian, Brummie, Cheshire, Cockney, Coventry, Cumbrian, Dorset, East Midlands, Essaxon, Estuary, Geordie, Hartlepudlian, Janner, Kentish, Lancastrian, Mackem, Mancunian, Multicultural London, Norfolk, Northumbrian, Pitmatic, Pompey, Potteries, Scouse, Smoggie, Suffolk, Sussex, or Yorkshire!
And that's just England. Then there are all the Scottish, Welsh, Irish, and Island languages and dialects!
you missed out Devonian!!! ………………...and Somerset-ooh aar!!!

Well then, I must have really surprised an Englishman here in Germany when I guessed that he came from or near Stoke on Trent from his dialect. Didn't even know how many dialects there were, but it is funny to see them all listed up. Thanks for taking up for me Dr H.

Just another reason I like math over language. Math never changes, and is consistent, sure, you may figure out a better way to get the result, but the end result is always the same. Language is so subjective with way too many exceptions

you haven't heard anything until you hear a broad Devon accent, but its becoming rare these days, family friend still talks it and one or two who are no longer with us but most people seem to have a metropolitan accent which is no accent at all.

Too many of the kids here, speak with each other just like they text. Eh man,too cool. Can't just say hello anymore, it is not cool. Tip in words faster than I can type on the keyboard. One handed while driving, I've watched them in the bus also. Globalisation, one money, one language, one Gov't

the kids don't even talk to each other anymore, they text each other even when that person is standing right next to them waiting for the school bus in the morning.
With my hearing loss, even with hearing aids I cannot hear in a restaurant or busy place. My wife and I will text across the table with each other. I’m really thankful for the technology. As far as what the people around us think, couldn’t care less.

about a year ago wife and I tried to sit down for meal in one of our favourite restaurants, but the din was so bad everyone talking at once, we couldn't hear ourselves think and had to leave and haven't eaten out since.
what is it with humans they have to make so much noise??

Love the sort of accent you hear from Patrick Swayze or Daisy Duke its so musical.

it was a deja vu' moment when that Hot Fuzz movie clip came on, had the same problem when I was a conscript corporal,as we have several dialects here among us swedish speakers,I had to ask a fellow corporal to translate to me what the dude said,didn't understand a word,but the result was his weekend pass was revoked...

yup,even this ever so nice and friendly dude can be an ass hole if the need comes.

I have been known to take my ear plugs with me to eat out. Can't stand the yapping of all the women with high pitched voices and the need to be heard by those not even in her conversation and on the other side of the room....

Classic American Southern is different from working class "Southern" (which isn't actually confined to the South) more accurately called "Country" or "Redneck". It is dying out in most places in the South, although there are a few places where you can still hear it.

A few distinguishing features of Classic Southern is drawing out the end of syllables (Southern Drawl) and non-rhoticity - "r" is more like "h", and swallowing the "g" in words that end in "ng".
In a pure Southern accent, "car" is pronounced "cahhh" drawing out the non-rhotic "r"
"Water" is "wahhtuh"
"Hunting" is "Huhnt'n"

Forrest Gump had an approximation of a Southern Drawl, although not completely authentic.

In the South, classic Southern was once the equivalent of Received Pronunciation in England - spoken by the educated middle to upper class - both black and white, and has many similarities (not a coincidence). Not a working class accent. Some of the loveliest Classic Southern Accents I've heard in recent years were spoken by African Americans.

Me, I'm a half-breed: Redneck on my father's side and Classic Southern on my mother's side, so I drop half my R's and G's. LOL

The best example I can find of a lovely classic Southern accent: Bobbie Gentry. BBC gave her a TV show in the UK! Most episodes are lost.

Last edited:
Classic American Southern is different from working class "Southern" (which isn't actually confined to the South) more accurately called "Country" or "Redneck". It is dying out in most places in the South, although there are a few places where you can still hear it.

A few distinguishing features of Classic Southern is drawing out the end of syllables (Southern Drawl) and non-rhoticity - "r" is more like "h", and swallowing the "g" in words that end in "ng".
In a pure Southern accent, "car" is pronounced "cahhh" drawing out the non-rhotic "r"
"Water" is "wahhtuh"
"Hunting" is "Huhnt'n"

Forrest Gump had an approximation of a Southern Drawl, although not completely authentic.

In the South, classic Southern was once the equivalent of Received Pronunciation in England - spoken by the educated middle to upper class - both black and white, and has many similarities (not a coincidence). Not a working class accent. Some of the loveliest Classic Southern Accents I've heard in recent years were spoken by African Americans.

Me, I'm a half-breed: Redneck on my father's side and Classic Southern on my mother's side, so I drop half my R's and G's. LOL

The best example I can find of a lovely classic Southern accent: Bobbie Gentry. BBC gave her a TV show in the UK! Most episodes are lost.

There's an older African-American lady who I works for a company we partner with. She speaks with that "classic" Southern accent. Her name is Georgia and she pronounces it Geohhh-gia.

I have Barnwood builders on TV this AM, amazing listning to them talking about building LAWG homes using SAW-WED lumber, and fitting the RUFF around the stone CHAYMNEY for the FAYR PLACE. its much nicer, musical and easier on the ear than the NuYork accent.

I have seen some of these American home building programmes, they all seem HUGE properties, not what i'd be building at all.

Latest posts

Back