Dried beans….cook now or later?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilmissy

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Just sitting here thinking about pressure canning some meat to get it out of the freezer, then it hit me. Dried Beans. Are you storing them as is? What happens if you need to conserve water and need beans? Beans take soaking, rinsing then cooking. I am thinking it might be smart to cook some up in the instant pot then freeze drying them for storage. has anyone else cooked them up and tossed infreezer or dehydrated them?

I have some dehydrated cooked beans, some in canning jars (canned), and some dry. My typical mode is to store them dry and have a dozen jars on the shelf of PC'd. When I'm down to a couple jars, I can up another batch. That doesn't address the above water issue, but it uses less than soaking and rinsing.

I've never tried freezing or dehydrating them. But I do can them so they're ready to go. Doing pintos makes refried beans a snap. Just open the jar, add some seasoning (or add it before canning) and mash.

There are a few different ways of canning beans. I find it's much easier to just do the no soak method. 1/2 cup dry beans to each pint jar or 1 cup per quart and fill with water to about 1 inch. Lids on and process. Don't remember the times at the moment, but I think it's similar to meats. You can add salt or other seasonings if you prefer. The canning process takes all the other work right out of them. The beans will cook and soak up all that water while processing and come out pretty thick in the jars. If you want them more juicy then cut back on the amount of beans a tablespoon or so less, depending on just how juicy you want them. Just don't add more beans or the jars may explode

I start with a half gallon of dried beans, soak them, cook them with a ham bone and spices, eat them till the neighbour downwind complains, and can the rest for later. (90 min)

Latest posts

Back