Dry Milk

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Country Living

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
We've used Honeyville Grain's whey-based Milk Alternative for years and have not been unhappy with it. However, I'm hearing the Provident Pantry dry milk is actually dried milk. I would be interested in comments from any of you using dry milk, especially the PP milk.

I do keep some powdered milk stored but it's not something I use if regular milk is available. I usually just pick up a box at the store when I'm grocery shopping if I happen to think about it. I don't have a brand that I'm partial to.

I use the Augason Farms milk too. We have dairy goats but when our girls are dry I use the AF milk for cooking. I'm not fond of it for drinking unless it's in something, like hot cocoa but I'm pretty sure it's because I don't like skim milk. It just tastes watery to me. I also use the AF milk and other ingredients for mixes when camping /traveling so we only have to have water. We have also tried a few experiments at meals in a jar with it.

As a kid to save on money dad used to give us, or try, dry milk. I could taste the difference every time no matter what he tried. Same for milk that has gotten warm then chilled again I can taste it. He finally gave up trying to get the dry milk past me.

As a kid to save on money dad used to give us, or try, dry milk. I could taste the difference every time no matter what he tried. Same for milk that has gotten warm then chilled again I can taste it. He finally gave up trying to get the dry milk past me.
Milk has improved a lot in the past decade or so. I still don't like powdered milk but freeze dried milk is much better.

I have and use Carnation dry milk... Not that we drink it but use it one or more of my bath products ...
What can I say. ;)

I store dry milk, but typically only use it when I'm out of milk or making hot cocoa mix. I buy Auguson Farms. We do use a lot of hot cocoa...at home and at our school. I use 2 cups of dry milk, 2 cups powdered sugar, and 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder.
What do you wash it down with? Sounds kinda dry! Lol

When I was growing up, my Dad would do the milking and the chores in the morning, and I did them after school! We got 10 quarts per day barring the occasional accident or when the cow got into the bitterweed or wild onions. After milking we strained it through a towel and put it in the refrigerator. Then we'd take it out, stir the cream back into the milk(at least 2 inches at the top of the jug) and drink. When I went into the Navy, whole store bought milk tasted like water!

Latest posts

Back