Dumpster Diving/

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice! Care to share the source, in general?
Source?

My son heard the local high school was eliminating archery from the phys-ed program and volunteered to take them out to the dumpster (not).

If you are asking about makes and models wait until daylight when I get a chance to 8nspect for myself.

;)

Ben

A town I lived in had public dumpsters placed in many convenient spots. There was a monthly fee tacked onto your utility bill. It was your responsibility to take your own trash to the dumpsters. While I didn't, often, climb in I brought enough treasure home that DW started hauling the trash to the dumpster.

...My son heard the local high school was eliminating archery from the phys-ed program and volunteered to take them out to the dumpster..

Solid head on those shoulders on That one.. :cool: Recently at my current gig, they announced they were going to be 'cleaning out storage', and would soon subsequently-announce to the Employees when / what they planned to 'Trash', so'z everyone could get a chance to look stuff over / 'stake a claim', before it was Actually tossed.. Well..

..I had 'a gut feeling' that Some of the clean up / out was just 'happening', so I began to check the dumpster, nightly, and, holy-cow.. Can't believe some of the stuff they had Already Tossed.. :eek:

..Besides a bajunch (like 25 or so..) of Perfectly Good 'Lab-coats' - nice heavy-duty 'anti-stat' / flame-proofed, etc ones - which just needed a Wash, and they'd be perfectly useable as 'Painting / Oil-change / Butchering, etc Smocks', if nothing else, there was:

ABB.jpg

..Little 'wireless anemometer' - brand flippin new, "..Measures Wind Volume, Velocity, Temperature Dry Bulb/Wet Bulb, Humidity, Baro Pressure, Elevation and Wind Direction.." - something I would probably Never 'drop the bux on' - but Invaluable data to help learn Long-range Shooting Calc'ing-with.. Cha-Ching! :cool:

..And, about a Dozen or so of these-style of plastic Cases (used to ship a - now obsolete - Product in..)..

Casey-Jones.jpg

..Which have All-manner of "Other uses", of course, ie: No one would look at this..

ThorLabs.jpg

..and think This was inside..

G17-Inside.jpg

:cool: (..'course, That's one of our 'Umarex trainers' for the photo, but.. Simply shows that the 'real thing' fits Quite nicely, and No One's gonna think that's a "pistol case", etc..

And there were Other cases, a Bunch of '80-20' (machinists will know that stuff.. :cool: in various sizes / threaded-nut inserts / plates, etc, for them - Lots of 'scratchbuilding goodies'...

..But the 'Crown Jewel', was when I saw This puppy sitting on a table in the shipping / dock area, that's used to 'stage trash' before it goes out..

Sureline-5400.jpg

..So I Asked, 'Uhh... is that.. Getting Tossed??' And I was told 'yeah, the Controller is not working, so.. Just take it, if ya want it, it's pretty much garbage'.. 🤔

Yah - the only thing "wrong" with it, was the 9V DC 'wall-wart' - to Power the Controller - was missing, so.. Of course, it's not gonna 'turn on'.. 😆

Now - once I determined this was 'the only thing "wrong" with it', well.. I could just Hear 'Jiminey Cricket' saying 'Now, jd - you should really Listen to that little 'Angel' on yer right shoulder, and Let them Know this.. Right??'

..But then the 'little devil' on my Left says 'Well.. if the "Engineer" - who Insists that we're "better off" sending all our machining to China ( :mad: ) can't be bothered to take all of 2 minutes to 'troubleshoot' this - Before - I veritably 'rescued it' from the dumpster (ie: if I had just not 'been In that day', etc..) well.. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 🤓

I think something about 'Never interrupt your Enemy (and/or Dumb Boss ;) when he's making a Mistake' goes here... Right??!! 😈

So, Heck yeah I "Dumpster Dive".. :cool:

jd

Location, location, location... Some dumpsters reek, next to restaurants, gas stations, medical offices. I wouldn't stop for those.

I know a guy who stops at small construction dumpsters in neighborhoods. Like someone refurbishing an older home and have a dumpster in the driveway. They are great for scrap wood, tile etc. Also, the people in the neighborhood sometimes dump items in it after hours. Things normally found at a yard sale. He actually sells this stuff at flea markets. He's retired and it became a hobby.

I would have been tempted to take the veggies home and dehydrate them.
The discussion was had, wifey was not onboard with the dumpster/food concept. words were exchanged and the couch looks like a long lost friend for a day or so.

They are great for scrap wood, tile etc.
I have seen so much scrap wood in dumpsters at building sites. I want to grab it up, take it home and put it in with my fire wood. Hard to do when there are workers on site. I should go back later when everyone is gone, but it is tricky.

The discussion was had, wifey was not onboard with the dumpster/food concept. words were exchanged and the couch looks like a long lost friend for a day or so.
I know how it is. I have conversations with people and I am viewed as a crazy person for things like this. No, I am just a practical person who believes in prepping.

Latest posts

Back