Easing into Retirement from a financial perspective

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UrbanHunter

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Most people eventually retire, or die early, I don't know a lot of people who made an different exit plan. Planning for retirement can start very early, with the really smart ones starting in their 20s... For full disclosure, I'm not that smart. But no matter what season of life you are in you need to understand your needs and what you can honestly expect after you stop working everyday.

INCOME: My understanding is that there are only a few sources of income once you reach retirement and even that depends on your age and your employment history.
Here is my short list:
Social Security Insurance
Military Retirement
State Employees Retirement Plans
Federal Employee Retirement Plans, CSRS (no new people after 1986) and FERS
Railroad Retirement Plans
Corporate Retirement Plans, usually big companies (think IBM, GM, the Airlines ...) or Hospitals
Then there are the self funded programs:
401Ks, Conventional and ROTH
Thrift Savings Plan (TSP, 401K for Federal Employees)

EXPENSES: Expenses vary for Retirees:
Taxes, the one sure thing in life is death and Taxes
Federal (we will all deal with this one)
State Taxes ( This varies greatly by state)

Medical Expenses - Varies by how old you are
Medical Insurance -
Medicare - It's not free, they just take it out of you social security check, if you are not collecting social security they will send you a bill.
Long Term Health Insurance

Housing
Rent/mortgage
Property Taxes ( This is assuming you own property, you still have to pay even if it's "Free and Clear".
Maintenance

Utilities
Power
Gas
Water
Waste Water
Trash Collection
Phone
Internet
TV

Transportation:
Vehicle Payments, Insurance, Maintenance, Fuel
No Drivers License - Uber, Taxi, Bus, Bicycle (and maintenance)

Food, this can vary greatly, but you still need to think about eating
Groceries
Gardening supplies
Animals
Animal feed and supplies

Clothing and shoes, nothing lasts forever

Entertainment: This could be a TV subscription, occasional trips to a movie or theater, Hunting & Fishing licenses and gear, or Traveling...

Now for the hard part, get an honest assessment of what your income and expenses are now and what they are going to be when you retire...

Once you get this information you can put it into a spreadsheet and start to see if you are going to be eating steak or dog food, if you start early enough you can make changes to improve you situation in retirement.

Most people eventually retire, or die early, I don't know a lot of people who made an different exit plan. Planning for retirement can start very early, with the really smart ones starting in their 20s... For full disclosure, I'm not that smart. But no matter what season of life you are in you need to understand your needs and what you can honestly expect after you stop working everyday.

INCOME: My understanding is that there are only a few sources of income once you reach retirement and even that depends on your age and your employment history.
Here is my short list:
Military Retirement
Corporate Retirement Plans, usually big companies (think IBM, GM, the Airlines ...) or Hospitals

Medical Insurance -
Medicare - It's not free, they just take it out of you social security check, if you are not collecting social security they will send you a bill.

Housing
Rent/mortgage
Property Taxes ( This is assuming you own property, you still have to pay even if it's "Free and Clear".
Maintenance

Utilities
Power
Gas
Water
Waste Water
Trash Collection
Phone
Internet
TV

Transportation:

Groceries
Gardening supplies
Animals
Animal feed and supplies

Entertainment: This could be a TV subscription, occasional trips to a movie or theater, Hunting & Fishing licenses and gear, or Traveling...

Now for the hard part, get an honest assessment of what your income and expenses are now and what they are going to be when you retire...

Once you get this information you can put it into a spreadsheet and start to see if you are going to be eating steak or dog food, if you start early enough you can make changes to improve you situation in retirement.
We have a fiduciary advisor that manages our investments for us. He has finally convinced The Princess that she can finally retire. We will have to pay for health insurance for two years until she is eligible for Medicare.

We don't have any debt and live a simple life. Getting out of debt and staying debt free was critical in making retirement a reality for us.

Just my 2 cents.

Ben

You are right about it being the "hard part".
When I calculated it, I factored in 4% inflation (more than twice what was normal) just to be safe.
...And then lately, 'somebody' showed me what 9% inflation is like 😡 gaah.
Start investing early, and a lot!

I'm not retired yet, but about 39 years ago a guy (JD) I was working with as school bus mechanics "retired". About 3 months later I had lunch with JD and I asked him, "How are you doing in retirement?" His answer put me to the floor, "Not bad, I'm mowing lawns to make ends meet..." That got me to thinking, the last thing I want to do is go into the lawn care business in my late 60s!
I went back to college and changed careers, but I was now in my mid 30s, complete family, student loans, and just starting out a career. At 42 I went back to get an MBA, more loans...
We were frugal, eventually bought a home, but we were running 20+ years behind.
After 20 years we had put all the kids through college, paid off our student loans, and got the house paid off but now the retirement clock is really running short.
One thing that I did was participate in a 401K, at first I only put in enough to get the matching from the company. But, we were paying all our bills, so every time I got a raise I put it into the 401K. It was over 10 years before I "took home" a raise, and my wife was very unhappy about that.
Today, we are very short (employment wise) and I would retire, but would prefer to pad my accounts and have a little more income before pulling that trigger.

I have made a number of mistakes, but my best estimate is that my retirement will be about 4 times what it would have been if I had kept working as a bus mechanic. It's been a hard road, but I'm glad I made the changes when I did..

Figuring for now or the near future isn’t too bad. Planning to cover expenses years in advance is more concerning to me. I listened to some older folks, 70s-80s, who I always thought were doing ok. $600/month Social Security may have seemed like enough when they first retired, but I don’t know how they manage now. Debt free, but still, life happens. Vehicle expenses, food……… planning ahead can not be underestimated.

A couple things I want to add to your "income" section.
Our situation. I retired at 53, wife at 57. She held out longer as her job was providing our medical benefits.

I saw an early retirement coming for me as:
A) What I worked on my entire career wasn't going to last for another decade or more due to becoming obsolete. Its replacement is something they can hire young people to do at half (or less) of what I was being paid.
B) We have some elderly, disabled family members that were going to need more extensive care than what my wife and I could offer when we had careers. We didn't want to put them in assisted living.

So, instead of dropping anything more than what was offered via matching contributions into a 401K/403B, I opened a non-retirement brokerage account with a large financial institution (think Vanguard or Fidelity).
I put my money in there. It's invested so I'm getting returns. Being non-retirement, I could withdraw without the penalties associated with an early withdraw from a retirement account. This account is used when we need money for expenses.

For those who don't want or expect to retire later in life, consider the aforementioned.

If for some reason, you retire before age 60, also be advised:
"Rule of 55" - You can withdraw from your retirement account at age 55 without penalty. Rules apply. Look it up.
You can withdraw at age 59.5 from retirement accounts. Look up the requirements

One other income area that just came to mind.
After I retired, I obviously had more time. I started going through buildings, shops... to do some cleaning, organizing and purging.
As for purging, a small amount went in the trash. There was A LOT of items I've accumulated over the years that I just don't want or need anymore. I sold some. It provided a fair amount of pocket money.

I'd say, if possible.......semi-retire first. That's what hubby and I did. However, it seems we are working just as much now as before. LOL! The difference is that we can say NO if we want to. That is a very freeing feeling and our view of retirement is very different than how some others see it. I don't want to be in a rocking chair in front of the TV every day. That'd drive me nuts! On the flip side, we can party like it's 1999 on the weekends and it's all good. However, our definition of 'party' is pretty lame..... That's OK though. We are happy with it.

I agree zoom. We have accumulated a lot of stuff over the years. If we wanted to, we could raise some quick cash and hardly make a dent in our stuff.

we just quit our jobs just before 50 and bought a farm LOL
No retirement planning but we are doing what we want. It all depends on what sort of lifestyle you want to have . You know you look at "typical expenses" for retirement in the US, and it is WAY too high imo. You really don't need that much money. First, they include stuff like rent. By the time you retire you really should not be renting or paying a mortgage....that's just bad money management. You should not have a car payment either. You should be done with expensive traveling ( no point at old age, you can't do much anymore anyway).

If you are willing to do without a lot of "modern conveniences" you can do without a lot of stuff most people spend money on

So , all depends on what sort of thing makes you happy. I can live just fine the way we live on very little . Just trying to get to social security age before we totally run out of cash....

Biggest money problem for us: vehicle maintenance and repair

For several things you mentioned, I agree.
Medical is the exception. Plan on $200,000 per person (in cash) in unfunded (not insurance covered) medical bills per person from retirement to death.
For several things you mentioned, I agree.
Medical is the exception. Plan on $200,000 per person (in cash) in unfunded (not insurance covered) medical bills per person from retirement to death.
that depends on the person too. We have medicaid right now and it's fine. I don't plan on having expensive procedures or medicines to keep me alive past my expiration date....I have never had a cancer check and will never have treatment for that for example unless it is a simple one time surgery. Again, it depends on your personal needs and requirements. I will never go to an old folks home. There is a 9mm with my name on it for Alzheimer....

Social Security is one of the most complex of the simple things the government has ever created for us and it will impact 99% of working Americans.

AGE 62: 62 is the earliest age you can collect regular Social Security (not to confuse with SSA Disability Payments) and you are penalized for every year before you reach Full Retirement Age (FRA~67). The Average SSI payment is $1500/month, but the penalty would reduce that to $1200/month. But, if you keep working they deduct $1 for every $2 you earn, so if you are earning more than $36,000 per year you will receive nothing for applying for SSI early and still working (but you will get a bill from Medicare)

FRA ~67: If you start taking SSI at FRA you can keep working without penalty, but you will owe income taxes on it and they will start taking Medicare out of it. Typical tax rate would be around 22%. So if you are gong to be receiving the average payment of $1500/month, your actual usable income would be $998 (-22% taxes and $172 Medicare). remember you are responsible for paying your income tax and they won't do it automatically. But an extra $998 per month would help someone pad their nest egg. The other thing is that if you are earning more than you were making in your youth, the SSA will replace one of your low earning years with your current earning (so you payments should go up a little each year because of changes to your lifetime earning record).

AGE 70: If you wait until you are 70, the Average SSI would increase from $1500 to $1800/month. There is no benefit for waiting beyond 70 to start collecting SSI.

Work-Arounds:
Investments and annuities, if you have investment income it does not count as earned income and is not held against you if you start taking SSI before FRA.
Family owned Businesses, this is a gray area in my book, but I know people who own a family business, they put the business in the younger spouses name and the other spouse collects SSI before FRA, but claims no income, so no penalty.
I think that rental properties could be used as a work around using LLCs that exclude the person who is collecting SSI.

So which choice has the best outlook? If you only live to 85 it does not matter because your lifetime earnings from SSI will be the same (Average ~$340,000). If you die before 85 you would have been better off taking it as early as possible. If you live beyond 86, then you would be better off waiting till you are 70 to collect. It comes down to a personal choice and a gamble betting on how long you plan to live....

This is not financial advice, but just my sharing what I have learned from personal research.

Social Security is one of the most complex of the simple things the government has ever created for us and it will impact 99% of working Americans.
AGE 62: 62 is the earliest age you can collect regular Social Security (not to confuse with SSA Disability Payments) and you are penalized for every year before you reach Full Retirement Age (FRA~67). The Average SSI payment is $1500/month, but the penalty would reduce that to $1200/month. But, if you keep working they deduct $1 for every $2 you earn, so if you are earning more than $36,000 per year you will receive nothing for applying for SSI early and still working (but you will get a bill from Medicare)
FRA ~67: If you start taking SSI at FRA you can keep working without penalty, but you will owe income taxes on it and they will start taking Medicare out of it. Typical tax rate would be around 22%. So if you are gong to be receiving the average payment of $1500/month, your actual usable income would be $998 (-22% taxes and $172 Medicare). remember you are responsible for paying your income tax and they won't do it automatically. But an extra $998 per month would help someone pad their nest egg. The other thing is that if you are earning more than you were making in your youth, the SSA will replace one of your low earning years with your current earning (so you payments should go up a little each year because of changes to your lifetime earning record).
I refuse to get off my soapbox about collecting at 62, and will always mention my 2 brothers that paid into SS their whole life, and were waiting until FRA to draw, when they died, and never got a penny :mad:.
Don't be one of them.:(
The govt wants you to, and will dangle the 'carrot on the stick' in front of you to lure you further down the road to stretch their funds.

First I'll say this: If you can see into the future & know that you can pick up a job after retirement, use that "vision" to buy stocks that will double now. I say that because you do not know that you can work later in life. Health is something nobody plans for. I had my first heart attack at 57. So do not plan on working late in life because you might not be able to.

I hate what I'm going to say now but here goes.... I owe my ex wife because she taught me how I didn't want to live. My finances "turned around" the day I paid off my lawyer for the divorce. I no longer lived broke payday to payday. From that day on I controlled my finances to where I was never really broke & I started looking forward to the day that I could invest in "something".

Neb was dead on when he said (We don't have any debt and live a simple life. Getting out of debt and staying debt free was critical in making retirement a reality for us).

We have lived debt free for 38 years (except for a car & house, which we paid off early) & invested for the whole time that we could legally put money into an IRA. For every dollar we put in we have over $11 dollars to show for it. We haven't needed the money (we sill live on our income) & have never touched those retirement accounts. My goal was to just have enough to get by. We not only achieved that goal but zoomed past it.

I truly believe that anyone can become wealthy IF they have 3 things going for them. 1. They have to work together 2. Commitment 3. Don't be stupid, & don't try to double your money overnight.

Being broke when your young is GOOD! You learn a lot from it. And if your lucky you learn that you don't want to be broke when your OLD. I urge everyone to think & plan for ...........someday.

Here is my short list:
Military Retirement

Medical Insurance -

Housing
Rent/mortgage
Maintenance

Utilities
Power
Gas
Water
Waste Water
Trash Collection
Phone
Internet
TV

Transportation:

Groceries
Gardening supplies
Animals
Animal feed and supplies

I just wanted to thank you UrbanHunter for that pretty darned complete list. I never broke it down like that (which proves that your smarter). My total goals were pretty simple: 1. I don't want to live payday to payday & 2. I don't want to be poor later in life so what options are open to me? That's it, that everything in those 2 sentences. And the crazy, insane thing is that I was lucky enough that my basic plan worked far better than I dreamed.

Everybody's situation is diffferent. My wife made enough that we decided I could make us more fixing up the property than working 10 years ago.

Last year we decided to start pulling my SS early. Reasons being If she passes first, I go up to the max (she is already done paying FICA this year. If I pass first, she gets nothing extra.

Right now my SS has been building up in the bank, extra for her. My pension starts next month. I did choose the lowest amount for her to get 100%.

Everyone has to make the right choice for them. I know a lot of people aren’t in as a fortunate situation as me. I hope this helps someone for ways to think about this.

I didn't "ease" in to retirement. One day I was working, the next day I was retired. I kept track of all of my investments, including SS on a regular basis. So there was no surprise about what my income would be. I retired 9 years ago at 57. I bought the ranch a few years before that, and I built the house, barns, out buildings and installed the solar, well and pump all out of pocket. And lived off savings until I started drawing SS at 64. The wife quit her job of 14 years because her company was forcing masks and pushing the government poison shot.

Been retired since 63 in jan 2015. Was out of debt at 52 never borrowed anything again.

Invested in some heavy hitter stocks over the years and made more than the two IRAs by a good bit.

Did not make the one investment I knew the day I passed on that would have made me an astronomical amount of money so we all do stupid things.

I will never spend the trust, I think the current criminals will get everyone's and we will own nothing just as they say.

They already took all precious metals once so unless you transfer it all to a non agreement economy they will do as they please with it.

If you know what to buy and when to trade you can do it, if you do not get a high yield broker and go for return.

just thinking out loud here...yesterday guy i know died...he was from a farming family here...parents long gone as they were older than my parents..more like generation of my grandparents..anyway was older brother of school mate i grew up with...dead at 70 years...! means longest he could have drawn SS is 8 years...i am drawing it....i have some very long life genes in my family but theres a few that are not....soooo..3 out of 4 grandparents lived into 90's my granny died at 99.5years in 2020..i say lets go fishing hiking and hunting!..and some gardening

just thinking out loud here...yesterday guy i know died...he was from a farming family here...parents long gone as they were older than my parents..more like generation of my grandparents..anyway was older brother of school mate i grew up with...dead at 70 years...! means longest he could have drawn SS is 8 years...i am drawing it....i have some very long life genes in my family but theres a few that are not....soooo..3 out of 4 grandparents lived into 90's my granny died at 99.5years in 2020..i say lets go fishing hiking and hunting!..and some gardening
It is definitely a crap shoot and I think that is why it creates such a discussion. My thinking its take it when you can get it because a bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush... Being the devil's advocate, that might be why the Gov't encourages people to wait till their 70, every year you wait increases that chances that they don't have to pay out anything....

Just kind of a fully story from way back when but it shows what people could do. My first roommate invited me to his parents home. He gave good directions but it was a very rural area, as in very few street numbers. So I pulled in at a farmhouse when I saw someone. This very old guy walked up & I quickly found out that he didn't speak english (obviously German). I got nowhere until I said my roommates name & he pointed next door. Sure enough that was where he lived. I told him that the guy had point me here but didn't speak english. His answer "Yes I know, that's my grandfather. They settled here 40 years ago & stay to themselves. They only go into town twice a year & only buy salt, a few odds & ends & cloth to make their clothes. Everything else they raise or grow. He added that they live like they have nothing but are really wealthy, as in a good bit more than a million dollars.

Of course that's an extreme example but it shows what can be done.

For the last 25 years of my working life my salary alone supported a disabled wife, three horses, eight dogs, and 50 or so chickens.
There wasn't anything left over for "retirement savings".

But the only debt we had was the mortgage on the farm. We never had credit cards, paid cash for everything.
I managed a warehouse, and started collecting SS at my regular retirement age, 66, but kept working full time. There is no penalty on income after you reach regular retirement age.
I worked until age 67.5 and would have stayed longer except the warehouse was in the ghetto of the murder capital of Florida. I just got tired of carrying a .357 magnum in my lunch box.
Used what was in my 401K to pay off the mortgage. Now completely debt free. Under an administration with a sane economic policy we would be above water.

At age 75 I work three days a week delivering auto parts to make extra money.
100% of my SS check goes into the household account along with the wife's. Her's is only a third of mine because she didn't work as long. Every bit of that is needed to live, especially now with Dementia Joe at the helm.
I don't get one penny of that. If not for my job, my sole income is a small pension from when I worked at Georgia Pacific. Not even enough to keep gas in my truck.
So, I work to have spending money and especially to pay for my annual trips to the reunions of my Army infantry division.
I've got to get my butt in gear and apply for service connected disability from the VA.

My advice to young folks is always simple. Don't blow your money on cruises, the latest cars, fancy vacations, the newest in electronic gadgets. Save, save, save. Invest the most you think you can, then invest more.
Trust me on this.

When my mom turned 67, she and dad went to the Social Security office to sign her up. The lady that got her signed up told dad to sign up also as he was 63; that it wasn’t worth it to wait. Mom got 2 checks. The second one was required to be sent back when she died. Dad turned 89 last month and is very proud that he’s gotten into Uncle Sam’s shorts for money beyond what he’s sure they expected. LOL

Retirement is Something that you need to think through in more than the financial level.

It involves relationships, plans, health, work/exercise level and a lot of other things.

I retired at 63 am 72 and have been getting about 5 to 7,000 a month for the 9+ years plus dividends and other considerations, ONE OF THE MAIN things is I have a ton of insurance payments, but I will never pay a penny for any type of medical care or home health care and more than 10 times the Funeral cost in life insurance.

I HATE INSURANCE because it is not what it was designed to be.
It was supposed to cost everyone the same dollar as long as they paid into it.
If you never used it then you lost some of the money but got some back in most policies.
As you were young you never used it most times then as you got older you would have built up some and would not cost as much as you paid in.

When the government let insurance companies start raiding the trust funds and merging haphazardly all of that changed.

Anyway, You either live life and really have a life or you can scrimp squeeze every dollar and hide in the dark like a hermit till you die never having been or done, or enjoyed your life.

The money I have in the bank gives me no enjoyment, what I spend on the kids, on a good meal, on a fast car, a good gun, anything that gives me enjoyment make MY life, money is far down the list of enjoyable things for me.

My wife is just the opposite she worries about every cent that goes out to the point of sweating when we spend money to spray for bugs or to service a car.

I have foregone a lot of material things that could make our life easier and better because of her fear, but it does not bother me except when it involves one of the kids because material things are just tools to me and I can do without them even if it means working a little differently.

Money is not love, it cant give you love, it cant feel your pain, it will leave you in a second and if you are in love with it it will break your heart beyond repair.

I wonder what everyone who is afraid to lose their money will do when the "You will own nothing and be Happy" day comes!

Retirement is no problem if your expectations are not beyond a meager existence that is a class lower than your working level was.

Latest posts

Back