East and West DPF Member Meet & Greets... Late August!

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nevada would be an excellent Western location
Reno would be perfect!
Rib Cook Off

DATE: Wednesday, August 28–Monday, September 2, 2013
EVENT HOURS: • Wednesday–Sunday: 11:00am–9:00pm
• Monday: 11:00am–5:00pm
• Kids' Area is open every day
RIB VILLAGE HOURS: • Wednesday–Sunday: 4:00–9:00pm
• Monday: 12:00–5:00pm
LOCATION: Victorian Square, Sparks, Nevada on Victorian Avenue, between 14th Street & Pyramid Way.

http://www.nuggetribcookoff.com/mobile/

I m interested but ill have to see what old anorak is doing
Old-anorak will be with us on the East side. She was worried about being able to bring everything she needed. I have all the equipment she would need for camping and would be happy for her to use them. I don't know where you are located but we will try to have a local meet somewhere in south La. before the big meet so we can discuss all our options on the best and cheapest ways to get to the big meet. We would like as many members there as possible. It would be alot more informative and more fun.

I do declare we are going to have ourselves a fine time. I let Alabaster know that since I was home most of the day, I could make phone calls for each region to find spots and find out the information needed on them. In my humble little old opinion I think this first meet is going to be more getting to know each other and forging offline friendships and alliances instead of hard core wilderness survival training. Yes I'm sure there's going to be some of it, but I think there needs to be plenty of getting to know each other and building the village, so to speak. Let's face it, in the times coming, some of us may need to run further than we thought and we may need those contacts we make now in other states.

I would suggest something for the group Clyde is in. Someone with the knowledge, make some purchases of meat rabbits on craigslist and give lessons on how to slaughter and then butcher your meat. I don't know, this may be something that needs to be taught in each group. I'm suggesting rabbits because they are quieter than chickens and easier to clean up after the deed is done. Just something to think about.

Another thing; How to really cook over a fire or with coals, and not just charring chunks of animal flesh. I mean baking bread, stews, and all of that. Dutch oven cooking. Skills to know.

Let me know.

I do declare we are going to have ourselves a fine time. I let Alabaster know that since I was home most of the day, I could make phone calls for each region to find spots and find out the information needed on them. In my humble little old opinion I think this first meet is going to be more getting to know each other and forging offline friendships and alliances instead of hard core wilderness survival training. Yes I'm sure there's going to be some of it, but I think there needs to be plenty of getting to know each other and building the village, so to speak. Let's face it, in the times coming, some of us may need to run further than we thought and we may need those contacts we make now in other states.

I would suggest something for the group Clyde is in. Someone with the knowledge, make some purchases of meat rabbits on craigslist and give lessons on how to slaughter and then butcher your meat. I don't know, this may be something that needs to be taught in each group. I'm suggesting rabbits because they are quieter than chickens and easier to clean up after the deed is done. Just something to think about.

Another thing; How to really cook over a fire or with coals, and not just charring chunks of animal flesh. I mean baking bread, stews, and all of that. Dutch oven cooking. Skills to know.

Let me know.
You are so right Old_anorak. I will be bring some of the food we cook in south La. I need to get a good size cast iron dutch oven with the legs. I have almost all the other cast iron but the one with legs got broken. Let me know if there is anything you need me to bring for the cooking you plan on. I will be pulling a trailer, so I can put extra stuff we might need. I have no doubts that the other guys from here in south La. would be willing to bring whatever stuff I don't have. We are just that kind of people around here.
I'm like you in thinking we will have a great time. It will be so nice to be able to talk face to face with the members we have just been able to type to. At least we can put a face to who we post to. Also like you said, there might be some menbers the will have to leave where they are living now. Some of us have extra room that we could take in others that need a place to survive when TSHTF.
Anyone from south La. that want a local meet set up, PM me and we can start getting things together. I've talked to some others from here and we are all in the same frame of mind. We will all get our COONASS WISDOM together and bring it with us, so you Yankies can see how brilliant we really are.LMAO

we have only one vehicale here.so if someone will be going through the town i live in.it'd be greatly apreciated if i can ride with ya..im still working on getting things togeather that i can bring along..i still have a camping list that my dad use to use when ever we wen camping.and still gotta locate it.it'll have things on it that can be brought along.and it might give me some ideas as well.

If the meet and greets go well, then off shoots can spring up from that for different things. Weekend classes in how to forge blades, weekend classes in how to forage wild plants, etc.... So everyone is not overwhelmed and running round like chickens with their heads cut off and not enjoying anything or really learning anything because it's too much at one time.

If the meet and greets go well, then off shoots can spring up from that for different things. Weekend classes in how to forge blades, weekend classes in how to forage wild plants, etc.... So everyone is not overwhelmed and running round like chickens with their heads cut off and not enjoying anything or really learning anything because it's too much at one time.
Good idea Old-Anorak. I wasn't thinking about trying to have to much. A few things would be nice and the rest of the time we could just mingle and learn more about eachother. I think one of the things most members would be interested in would be caning. I'm willing to bring my pressure canner and some jars with lids. I've been caning for years but I can always learn more. It will be hard for me to learn more, it's the reason I can't go back to school to get another degree. My brain is so full of info that I just can't put anything else in there. LMAO. We was ben smrt here in da sout, we was jus not tak to good. I wood slel mor gooder, butt I was go to scool jus to et ma lunc. Boy I was good to dat to. I was made strat a's in lunc.
I think this meet will be the best thing since homemade soap.

You are so right Old_anorak. I will be bring some of the food we cook in south La. I need to get a good size cast iron dutch oven with the legs. I have almost all the other cast iron but the one with legs got broken. Let me know if there is anything you need me to bring for the cooking you plan on. I will be pulling a trailer, so I can put extra stuff we might need. I have no doubts that the other guys from here in south La. would be willing to bring whatever stuff I don't have. We are just that kind of people around here.
I'm like you in thinking we will have a great time. It will be so nice to be able to talk face to face with the members we have just been able to type to. At least we can put a face to who we post to. Also like you said, there might be some menbers the will have to leave where they are living now. Some of us have extra room that we could take in others that need a place to survive when TSHTF.
Anyone from south La. that want a local meet set up, PM me and we can start getting things together. I've talked to some others from here and we are all in the same frame of mind. We will all get our COONASS WISDOM together and bring it with us, so you Yankies can see how brilliant we really are.LMAO
Heh cajon ..getting that coonass wisdom together ought not take as long as finding a dutch oven will it?... lol. Let me know what all we dont have that we need.

Heh cajon ..getting that coonass wisdom together ought not take as long as finding a dutch oven will it?... lol. Let me know what all we dont have that we need.
I will try to get a PM going where all the guys from La. can get together and be on one post. That way we can share all our ideas. The local meet will be pretty simple. The big meet willbe much more complicated. I think with the local meet we can come up with all the things we will need for the big meet. I think the big meet will be great. I haven't talked to Alabaster lately to see what he has come up with. Alabaster was the one that came up with having the big meet in Ky. he found a park that would be great and right in the middle of all the members on the East side. He is finding out more info on the park. He has a few other great ideas on the meet. I'm waiting to hear from him. I think he is on a camping trip right now. Will hear from him when he returns. Hope he's OK.

Water bath canning may be easier to teach over an open fire than pressure canning. Give me just a sec Bill and I'll get that park info for you. I do know it is on the extreme east border.

Ok my buddies I really really want to attend this meet & greet in August. It's so hard for me to plan anything way ahead since I am the primary caregiver for my mom and dad. But I want to go so bad that I am going to try to move heaven and earth to go. I don't know how my two grown kids will feel about mom going off on her own. LOL I think they think something will happen to me. Like that will happen. LOL Heck get me under a light pole and they'd let me go quick. LOL I know I will need help in what I will need to bring other than a tent and sleeping bag. It would be nice if I could get together with one of the other ladies going and maybe work with them cooking etc. I'm really a green horn when it comes to this in the wilderness so I can use all the help I can get. I'm willing to do my part but I'll need help in knowing what it is. Sorry I guess I'm not much good to anybody but I'm willing to learn all I can.

Junebug, if we are at the same one, feel free to hang with me. If we are at different ones, I'll be more than happy to help you figure out what to take with you. It's easy to learn and even easier when you're willing to do so.

Junebug, if we are at the same one, feel free to hang with me. If we are at different ones, I'll be more than happy to help you figure out what to take with you. It's easy to learn and even easier when you're willing to do so.
old anorak my plan was to go to the east meet and greet since I'm in North Carolina. I hope that is where you and mastercajun will be since I've felt a kinship with the both of you and you both have been such an inspiration to me with prepping. I read everything you both post as well as the others who post and I'm at the point where I'm letting myself get overloaded. I have a tendency to give all or nothing and that can be a downfall for me at times.

I'll be at the east meet. There has been talk of splitting things 4 ways to lessen travel on some of the members, but nothing's been decided yet. At this point I'm hoping I'll be walking then.

I'll be at the east meet. There has been talk of splitting things 4 ways to lessen travel on some of the members, but nothing's been decided yet. At this point I'm hoping I'll be walking then.
You will my friend. Try to use the crutches and wear the brace when up on your feet if at all possible. When sitting prop your legs up to reduce swelling. Ice it down at least twice a day for 20 minute at a time and maybe just maybe you can stay it off a little bit longer. Oh and if you do split up the east side then I want to go where you and mastercajun will be no matter what. I feel like I've found 2 people that I'd be happy to call my friend and even to call my sister and brother.

Discussing the meet with the wife at this moment. She seems receptive. Fingers crossed!

God Bless you my friend and thank you so much for saying that. Your right we are a family here and I'm so proud to a part of it and humbled at the same time.
Well, Junebug and Old_Anorak it looke like I will have TWO sisters to take care of and protect. Which is just fine with me. So, don't worry, big brother will be there for you.
I guess we will have to make a list of things that will be needed at the meet. That way if anyone has extra stuff they can bring for the ones that don't have everything they need or can't bring it all. I haven't had time to check out the park that Alabaster found but will do that now. From what I hear it is a real nice park.

I hope you make it Wiredog, cause you're bringing the pig for the hog roast.
113.gif
By the way I volunteered you for that. I'll cook it.
4.gif
You know you love me.

OK. It seems that there has been some wires getting crossed. I'm getting confused, so let's get some things ironed out. This is how I understand it as things are now...

-The weekend is the 23rd- the 25th of August. It's the last weekend of the month.

-The places are being worked on... Depending on how many meets there will be. I would like to do 4 locations. If anyone can think of a solid reason to do more or less, I'm open to discussion for sure. Let's clear this up by the 1st of May. That way we can get cracking on exactly where we'll hold these meets.

This is all that I know for sure at this point. If there is other "Absolute" info, please post it up so we can all be in the know. The private messages are cool for some things, but if it pertains to these events, please keep info here so we can all keep up with what's going on and what is being changed.

I wanted to set an "Schedule" for the events(Or classes, etc) so that it could be productive, but totally volunteer. If people want to literally just hang out by their campsites, I'm fine with that too. I was figuring it is a good way to get to know someone if you're learning in a team environment. It's like going to school when we were kids. We can make teams depending on who signs up for what classes.... Or..... We could make it just a weekend of fun and good times. I'm okay with that too. Absolutely! I think getting to know each other and networking is a great idea. My thoughts on the schedule was that it would be volunteer. If people want to learn to fish, trap, can food, make shelter, or take a CHP class, they would have that option. We could schedule 2 events per day that people can sign up for if they choose to. If I'm alone in that thinking, so be it. I have no argument at all to making this a vacation entirely. I think it would be rather relaxing, actually!

Let's get the # of meets settled in the next couple of days. After that, we should be able to settle on locations within another week. Once we set the locations, all we have to do is decide what, if anything, we are going to plan on doing while there. After that, all we gotta do is go and have a BLAST!!!

ps- I hope this is okay with yall. I'm just trying to clarify all the details. I by no means intend to "Take the reigns" or act bossy by trying to dictate what we should be doing and when. I just want to simplify it as much as possible.If I'm coming off as pushy, let me have it. Tell me what you want to do and let's make it happen.

Me too. Me too.... I think once we have an annual meeting under our belts, people will start coming out in droves. I think that the first bunch of us that go will pretty much be the pioneers, but once everyone hears how much fun it was, they wont be able to resist!

Latest posts

Back