Eggnog, love it or hate it?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weedygarden

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I watched a video today and eggnog was discussed. Some people really do not like it. I do, and we always have it during the holidays.

One person said to drink it with a little 7-up added to it. That is how we have had eggnog ever since I can remember. I know that some people like to spike their eggnog.

What about you? Do you drink eggnog? Do you make your own eggnog from scratch? How do you drink it? Straight from the container, homemade, with 7-up or Sprite, spiked?

Well, certain kinds are good:
1672690367025.png

I will take small sips of it about every decade or so. I don't hate it, but I have no desire to drink it either. It reminds me a heavy creme fortified with lard, with a bunch of sugar added. While the taste is OK-ish, I can't get past the feeling that it's a heart attack served in a cup. I get the same feeling for things like fettuccine alfredo. I take it very easy with that stuff too - not too much, not too frequently.

Homemade and with some good rum. A little goes a long way. :)

Eggnog french toast, with lots of melted butter. When I flip the toast I put some butter on to start melting. when I put each slice on the plate I add more butter.

Last edited:
I'm with bkt, homemade with some rum. Little granddaughter loves the grocery store stuff, and we did buy 3 containers of it since November, which she polished off. But she has a weight problem, so I'm glad it's only available during the holidays.

My wife likes ir, so we always have it during the holidays. She has taken to adding a shot of bourbon to a glass.

I can take it of leave it. It would never be my first choice.

I make my own eggnog but I haven't used a recipe for it in forever.

How did I miss this thread? Oh, yeah, the foot injury, lol. I love eggnog, especially with vanilla rum... sure, it's rich, but I only see it on store shelves during the holidays, so no worries. If I had a good recipe, I'd make my own... I just finished a quart of Southern Comfort Vanilla Spice Eggnog yesterday, it wasn't bad, though definitely rich. I like trying different brands, as some are better than others. I usually buy it by the half-gallon if I can find it in that volume... :rolleyes:

I can't stand it. It must be an inherited thing. No one in my family, going back to my great grandparents, has liked it. My mom got a little quart container ten or 15 years ago at Christmas time because she was going to try and see if she liked it after probably 30 years since she had it. Nope. It rotted...

It’s not my first choice of beverage, but I like it. Made correctly, it’s very good.

I enjoy it a lot.
even though I drink it w/o alcohol to me its more like a milkshake of sorts :)

I used to love it.
I would have it cold, spiked, with espresso, etc.
About 7 years ago, I bought a quart and drank it over the course of a couple days.
Got sicker than I'd been in a long time.
Haven't had it since.
Once a person gets sick while eating or drinking something, it can ruin the taste for whatever it was forever. Been there.

I make my own eggnog but I haven't used a recipe for it in forever.
Could you post it?
We had eggnog French toast for breakfast. Different taste, but it was good
Did you add raw eggs or just use eggnog?
My mother would buy the half gallon square paper milk carton for the Holidays.

Latest posts

Back