Electric Cars

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We just bought a new Toyota Highlander Hybrid Platnum. It gets around 34 MPG on the highway and around 36 in town due to the electric motor. I'm still getting used to starting it and no sounds from the engine compartment.
That thing has more bells and whistles than any car I have ever owned.
I also have a 2015 F150 Platnum and I really like it.
While we were getting the new Highlander I looked at the Tundras. I was not impressed. My F150 gets better mileage, has more power, and has a lot more comfort features.
I know Toyota owners are some of the most loyal people around and they tend to keep them forever but I'll keep my F150.
Reading about two 2007 Tundra's that made it to the million mile mark sold me, we bought our 2007 Tundra with 244,000 on the odometer, I was concerned considering that when I grew up very few cars made it past 100,000 miles, my worries were unfounded. We've gotten up to 20 mpg with the Tundra, that's considered unusual, also it's my answer to a bucket list of having a V-8 powered vehicle before I go to the junk yard for old hotrodders. The only Ford I really loved, over the years of being a Ford truck owner, was my 1951 rat rod F-1 that I installed a 59 Lincoln Continental engine in, that beast would probably eat a number of fast cars of today for lunch.

While we were getting the new Highlander I looked at the Tundras. I was not impressed. My F150 gets better mileage, has more power, and has a lot more comfort features.
I know Toyota owners are some of the most loyal people around and they tend to keep them forever but I'll keep my F150.

I get where you're coming from there. I think I'd be of a similar mindset. If I were looking for a Toyota truck, it would probably be a Tacoma. But like you, if I were going larger, the F150 or even maybe an F250 might be a little more to my liking. I'm surprised that Toyota hasn't gotten into the 250/2500 or 350/3500 truck market. I think they could build a good truck if they'd go for it. Not sure the Tundra was one of their better efforts.

IMO The Tundra is built to a 3/4 ton. I have used mine heavily and never had an issue.
I have in my hand a load ticket from Copeland Landscape Supply for 2,380 pounds of organic garden soil that we brought home in our Tundra, the rubber axle snubbers still weren't touching, we have three mountain passes to go over getting home which the Tundra pulled at the speed limit. Yeah, when I climbed under the truck to see how things looked, it's built like a tank, the frame is like a 3/4 ton, the truck rides a bit rough but smooths out with a 1,000 pounds.
The only thing I miss is an 8' bed but the 6'6"box works out pretty good for hauling 2"by 8' lumber. I kind of miss the F-250 4X4 SC diesel, but then from the beginning we had lots of issues which made the extra warranty extremely worth while, in the end with just over 100,000 miles it started giving us starting problems and had a huge amount of oil in the coolant, we ended up donating the truck to Heritage of the Blind, would have cost us somewhere between &6,000 to $14,000 to get another Diesel engine in it, the Tundra cost only $9,000 and we're happy we got it.

I agree with the rougher ride. Tundra aren't sedan smooth unloaded. But pulling our 5th wheel, between 8 to 9000 lbs, it is much smoother. BTW mine does have the 8 foot bed. I've had 2 of those, first one got totalled by some chick in a jeep so focused on her phone she never let off for a red light I was stopped at. Buckled the frame on it. But a 8' bed and double cab makes it rough in a parking lot. Love the bed, I can lay a full sheet of plywood between wheel wells

... pulling our 5th wheel, between 8 to 9000 lbs, it is much smoother. BTW mine does have the 8 foot bed. ... a 8' bed and double cab makes it rough in a parking lot. Love the bed, I can lay a full sheet of plywood between wheel wells

That was something that I found a little confusing when I was looking at them. I wasn't wanting to pull a 5th wheel. I have an F350 for our big fifth wheel (39'er) but honestly, we were kinda thinking it would be nice to downsize big time and go to a much smaller travel trailer. Seemed like what they were rated to pull was all over the place and after a short time, I just kinda abandoned the Tundra without a feel for what it would or wouldn't do (safely). Maybe it's not as complicated as it seems.

Oh, I hear ya on the length. Our F350 is a crew cab dually. Has a turning radius of about an acre and a half and takes up way more parking space than most are made for. It's wide and it's long, too. Feels like driving an 18 wheeler everywhere we go. Oh, the cab is roomy and the bed is over 8' long. It'll haul stuff. But it's not a fun "daily driver" at all, at least not to me.

Have thought about a much smaller 5th wheel but since I broke my leg in 2015 (very nasty, couldn't put weight on it for 4 months, just the last year or so I can walk without a limp), my wife and I both decided we don't want steps inside wherever we live. We bought a ranch style house.

Our first RV was a 32' Jayco travel trailer... that thing was llllooooonnnnngggggg. But it was pretty comfortable. We had it parked in the driveway of our house in Louisiana after Hurricane Katrina came through and made our house uninhabitable. It was a year we spent in that. It was old and had issues, but it wasn't so bad, really. I'm not inclined to want to live in one fulltime anymore. I like a little more space. But since we don't live fulltime anymore, I don't feel like we need a 39'er anymore either. Looked at a few in the 23' or 24' pull behind size that seemed like they might work. I'm thinking more of either a quick trip someplace (kinda not so much now that covid has gotten so stupid) or having something as emergency shelter. An RV is excellent in that regard as it has most everything a person might need in a very compact space, and it's portable. Bed, toilet/shower, stove, refrigerator, water heater, small water tank, sewage tanks, heat... seriously, even a very small one seems like a good idea.

(Sorry, rambling a bit.)

Our 5er is 28' so its was manageable in most any place we went. (We had unknown roof damage that insurance wouldn't cover and now just want to get rid of it. I don't have time to do the repairs needed.) I loved the idea of having it for a bug out rig. And we kept it packed just for that. Dont plan to get another unless we decide to take a good long trip after I retire. I'd rather cut debt fast as I can right now

That's funny. GM almost did it right a very long time ago. They've never come that close since.
Back to electric vehicles.
I have never owned a ford.
But when they play a commercial that shows their electric pickup truck can back feed (power) a house during a power outage, my ears perk up.:eyeballs:
They will sell a lot of those down here, if it works.
It's like: "Buy a truck, get a free backup generator set! :thumbs:". Those are expensive.
An EV would make sense then.

Last edited:
Back to electric vehicles.
I have never owned a ford.
But when they play a commercial that shows their electric pickup truck can back feed (power) a house during a power outage, my ears perk up.:eyeballs:
They will sell a lot of those down here, if it works.
It's like: "Buy a truck, get a free backup generator set! :thumbs:". Those are expensive.
An EV would make sense then.
You can do the same with a golf cart and their batteries cost less, are easily disposed of when they die, and aren't prone to catching fire.

You can do the same with a golf cart and their batteries cost less, are easily disposed of when they die, and aren't prone to catching fire.
Yep. But not for very long compared to a V8 truck equivalent.
Speaking of fire; it seems that some people that bought a Chevy Bolt found out they actually got a Blazer:LOL:. (Sorry, couldn't resist!)

I will be interested in electric cars when I can buy a 20 year old one for $3k, with an S title, put a couple hundred bucks into it, and drive it for another 100K miles without issue.

Until then, I pretty much think they are just an attempt to make people like me not exist.

Latest posts

Back