Electric Cars

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was thinking about BH and wrote PHD. I normally run my PHD in neutral.

I have a 1981 Yanmar 18HP and it’s still going. Just hard to find parts. Only has a 500lb lift capacity though. Odd thing with this tractor is I push the clutch in, the PTO disengages.

My Mahindra 25hp is like a Cadilac comparatively and has a Mitsubishi engine

I wouldnt have an electric car if they were giving them away!!!
I dunno, if I didn't have to pay for it, maybe I'd drive it around town till the battery died and then have it hauled off to the junkyard. Or maybe use it as a backup power source for the house. I sure as hell won't be taking it where I normally drive to. That would be suicide.

I wouldnt have an electric car if they were giving them away!!!
At this point in time, I want to hedge my bets. I have a diesel, gas and electric.
But I do the have the best of the electric. Not one of the crap ones.

1711987941182.png

Well is looks like the Soletrac tractor is dead.

The idea was good, implementation failed, and the market spoke.

Fascinating, I didn't even know they had bothered to make one. I assume it was mostly chinese parts assembled elsewhere. Website is still up but not functional, click the store locater button and you ger the message
"Store locator deactivated - re-activate or create a store locator with Storepoint store locator software "
Soletrac

I got some flack last year by comparing the EV revolution to the inner-city transport revolution based on the Segway. I never thought it would end that badly, but I always felt it would contract until just a small minority of yuppies were using them commute to the shops and back. The sort of people that put in double glazing in temperate climes to keep urban noise out but forego upgrading insulation in the walls because that would be too expensive.

Fascinating, I didn't even know they had bothered to make one. I assume it was mostly chinese parts assembled elsewhere. Website is still up but not functional, click the store locater button and you ger the message
"Store locator deactivated - re-activate or create a store locator with Storepoint store locator software "
Soletrac

I got some flack last year by comparing the EV revolution to the inner-city transport revolution based on the Segway. I never thought it would end that badly, but I always felt it would contract until just a small minority of yuppies were using them commute to the shops and back. The sort of people that put in double glazing in temperate climes to keep urban noise out but forego upgrading insulation in the walls because that would be too expensive.
I get flack here for being open to a new technology. It’s in its beginning development.
My electric car is one of the best available. I do like having all 3 fuels of vehicles.
The Soletrac tractor probably could have done most of my tractor chores.
By immediately dismissing electric is like wanting to hang on to horse and buggy.

I get flack here for being open to a new technology. It’s in its beginning development.
My electric car is one of the best available. I do like having all 3 fuels of vehicles.
By immediately dismissing electric is like wanting to hang on to horse and buggy.
Nothing wrong with the horse and buggy, it's time may come back again soon.

Nothing wrong with the horse and buggy, it's time may come back again soon.
Gonna be a long ride to that grocery store with a gun department. :)

Road sign about 5 miles from BOL2.
When we move up to BOL2, I will be talking to the Amish neighbors about learning their "EMP Proof Technology." 😉
AmishRoadSign.jpg

BTW, the AG supply store 5 miles in the opposite direction has a large gun department.

Well here, knock yourself out.
https://www.alibaba.com/premium/electric_tractor_price.html
Just 4x the price for shipping, customs
Report back with your experience ok.

Hertz bet the farm on EVs...
https://www.breitbart.com/economy/2024/04/25/hertz-shares-crash-with-another-electric-vehicle-wreck/

Hertz Shares Crash with Another Electric Vehicle Wreck​

Shares of rental car giant Hertz plunged by more than 20 percent on Thursday after the company reported huge losses related to its investment in Electric Vehicles (EVs).

For months, Hertz has been struggling after going all-in on EVs. On Thursday, Hertz executives said it lost $1.28 per share in the first quarter, many times larger than Wall Street’s estimate of a loss of 45 percent per share.

The wider-than-expected loss came even though business was actually busier than expected for Hertz. The company took in $2.1 billion in revenue, slightly outpacing expectations.

In January, Hertz executives announced that they would sell 20,000 EVs from their fleet, which accounts for about 33 percent of the company’s total number of EVs. This week, Hertz executives said they would sell an additional 10,000 EVs from their fleet this year.

Hertz bet the farm on EVs...
https://www.breitbart.com/economy/2024/04/25/hertz-shares-crash-with-another-electric-vehicle-wreck/

Hertz Shares Crash with Another Electric Vehicle Wreck​

Shares of rental car giant Hertz plunged by more than 20 percent on Thursday after the company reported huge losses related to its investment in Electric Vehicles (EVs).

For months, Hertz has been struggling after going all-in on EVs. On Thursday, Hertz executives said it lost $1.28 per share in the first quarter, many times larger than Wall Street’s estimate of a loss of 45 percent per share.

The wider-than-expected loss came even though business was actually busier than expected for Hertz. The company took in $2.1 billion in revenue, slightly outpacing expectations.

In January, Hertz executives announced that they would sell 20,000 EVs from their fleet, which accounts for about 33 percent of the company’s total number of EVs. This week, Hertz executives said they would sell an additional 10,000 EVs from their fleet this year.
Well, a Tesla for $22K - $4K fed tax credit = $18K, time to get one?
People pay more than that for a fancy golf cart. 😲
Screenshot_20240607-123509_kindlephoto-522644775.png

Last edited:
I have no problem with the concept of an electric car.

Just don't force me to use one, when the technology is not there yet.

They are NOT a replacement for gasoline powered cars, and probably won't be for another 20 years.

Power generation and battery technology are lagging far behind. And consider cold weather and range issues, which in most cases make them impractical to own at present.

I have many neighbors who have EV's ... but they also have at least one gas powered car also.

My F250 4 wheel drive truck is 27 years old with 120,000 miles on it. I've never replaced a single part, with the exception of batteries and tires. Even with the seemingly impressive stats of electric trucks, I'd bet the ranch that they will never come close to matching the longevity, or the low cost of ownership of my old Ford. With almost 100 gallons of fuel capacity, I've got over a 1,000 mile range at 12mpg.
Like I always say, if you want an EV, go buy one. Maybe if we get the communists out of our government, we'll continue to be able to buy whatever vehicle we want.

My 85 C20 Silverado Chevrolet had @ 300,000 most of it pulling trailers with tractors and cars and other trucks on it when the engine started missing and closing plugs up from the pistons coming apart from long 85 to 100 mph trips pulling a load over the years.

Never did anything but put a crush sleeve in the rear end and tighten up the free play U joints at the same time and swing bearing, about 100,000

Rebuild the brakes and the Turbo 400 at about 200,000 not because it was down, but because of regular maintenance I do on all of the vehicles.

The pistons stated flaking at about 302,000 so it got a crate 200 hp 350 with Headers, Edelbrock intake and Holley 650 carb.

I took the front cap off and worked things over a little, put it all back together in about a week and it is going to hit 315,000 in the next couple of days.

Need a new AC setup the old compressors were crappy and the on on there is going away.

May just make it a winter truck and put 1 ton 4WD running gear under it.

I can build it for about $4000.

Probably take the 350 out and redo the 400 4bolt S.B. though with a lot more HP stuff.

I don't like any of the ignorant lies about saving the environment with solar or battery power.

If a person wants to build a windmill to power his personal property I am ok with that.

As far as I am concerned the behemoth windmills they use at most farms are crap.

There is no Green solution to power generation that does not have more trade offs than benefits as of now and not for the foreseeable future.

The global warming lie has made the entire field a scam artist playground.

I'd like an electric car because:

1. Gasoline is going to become a rare commodity that people kill each other over; I want no part of that lol.
2. Electric cars are super quiet and thus more stealthy; easier to bug out at night without anyone hearing me.
3. All that's needed to fuel it is a Solar Generator and the cable supplied with the car.
4. All that's needed to protect it from an EMP is a faraday garage/shipping container.
5. I'm a tree-hugging hippie who wants to do her part to help protect the environment lol.

Cons:

1. Limited speed...but there's things I could do to mitigate this risk (armor, run-flats, caltrops/smoke-screen/oil-slick).
2. Limited horsepower...but I'm a minimalist anyway. Not to mention electric car technology is advancing.
3. Limited range...but with a virtually infinite, portable fuel source, this is kinda negligible lol.
4. Small size...but this might actually be a Pro in some cases lol, (maneuverability, easy to hide, easy to clean).
If you were a tree hugging hippie then you apparently haven’t done your research on EVs and what it takes to produce the batteries. How about researching how child labor is used to help mine the rare earth minerals and the destruction of the earth to get it out of the ground, not to mention the environmental pollution from the tires wearing out at an accelerated rate because of the heavy battery packs.
if Hydrogen production would have been given the green light back when EVs were coming online then we would live in a more perfect world. Nothing is free of some sort of destruction unless you walk.
Sure pumping crude isn’t without its faults. Added to that the US doesn’t have the infrastructure put in place to support EVs not to mention all you tree huggers wanting to go total electric.
So, if all you “tree huggers” want to sell out this country then start learning Cantonese or Mandarin!

If you were a tree hugging hippie then you apparently haven’t done your research on EVs and what it takes to produce the batteries. How about researching how child labor is used to help mine the rare earth minerals and the destruction of the earth to get it out of the ground, not to mention the environmental pollution from the tires wearing out at an accelerated rate because of the heavy battery packs.
if Hydrogen production would have been given the green light back when EVs were coming online then we would live in a more perfect world. Nothing is free of some sort of destruction unless you walk.
Sure pumping crude isn’t without its faults. Added to that the US doesn’t have the infrastructure put in place to support EVs not to mention all you tree huggers wanting to go total electric.
So, if all you “tree huggers” want to sell out this country then start learning Cantonese or Mandarin!
Every time I see a Tesla driver I tell myself there goes another person lied to by “big brother “.

Latest posts

Back