Erosion for a small-scale homestead?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Razputin___

New Friend
Neighbor
Sitting on around 4.5 acres with lots of hills sometimes reaching around 50 degrees. I've been thinking a lot about erosion. For example, there is one small portion of land that is flat but surrounded on one side by fairly steep slopes (probably 50 degrees, steep enough that I don't want to run the mower up them). The other side goes uphill, so rain would be going down that slope, into the flat area, and further down the steep slopes. It would be a good spot for a chicken coop as it is near the house and flat, but I'm worried about further eroding the land there. Is this a legitimate worry if I had animals there, or am I worrying myself too much? I could just put the chickens on the flat top and still have plants on the hillside, would this be adequate?

A photo would be a big help. What's growing on the slopes now? Are you seeing signs of erosion? If it were a problem before you got there you should be able to see the evidence. There are several ways to deal with erosion depending on soil type.

From experience I wouldn’t put a chicken pen on flat ground at the bottom of a slope. Every time it rains it’ll turn into a stinking muddy mess. I put my pen on a slope on purpose and left the coop floor as dirt. Every time I get a big rain it cleans out my coop and pen, let nature do the work. Plus, my chickens don't live in a mud puddle.

If you really want to understand what can be done with erosion the usda has good info. Here’s the ‘Terrace engineering handbook’

coon trap (5).jpg

Attachments

• Terrace engineering handbook 17011.pdf
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back