Everyday carry (edc)

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I am just around home I don't carry much and sometimes I don't carry anything if I'm wearing shorts. With the temps being in the upper 90s and 100s it's shorts, a T-shirt, and flip flops unless I'm working or plan on going somewhere then I wear jeans and I always have a knife in the pocket.
Workin worund the house normally my phone, knife, and a bandana or 2

Glock G30S. Everything else goes in my 1 ton ford.

My light is nothing fancy nebo brand I think. But it’s bright and has worked over a year now and smaller then a bic lighter

Take a look at the Olight EOS 150 on Amazon. It is smaller than a Bic Mini lighter, and it is rechargeable. Has a high and low setting and it twists on. Won't break the bank either.

I like that. And it’s cheaper then what I paid for the nebo light I’ll order one and check it out

I have been very pleased with mine. I use it frequently, and haven't had to charge it for a couple of years. I'm guessing it is about 50 lumens on low, and 150 on high. You just twist it to turn it on, so you can't accidentally push a button. Hope it works out for you.

I don’t really carry a lot of items. Year round my cell and the keys to all my outer cabins, sheds, and gates. When the bears are awake I chest carry my 454 casull, and in the winter I’ll alternate between chest carrying a 45 or IWB 9mm. In the winter I’ll have a headband light on my head as it’s dark most of the time.

I've been carrying LED Lenser flashlights for more than ten years. They are around 200 lumens and were costly when I bought them. My first one came from Snap-on so you can imagine. I like the fact all three still work same as the day they were new. Only downside they don't function well with rechargeable batteries in them. I probably use 3 to 4 sets of 3 AAA batteries a year in the one I keep on me all the time. The other two last a few years each or until my daughter gets ahold of one!

I've been carrying LED Lenser flashlights for more than ten years. They are around 200 lumens and were costly when I bought them. My first one came from Snap-on so you can imagine. I like the fact all three still work same as the day they were new. Only downside they don't function well with rechargeable batteries in them. I probably use 3 to 4 sets of 3 AAA batteries a year in the one I keep on me all the time. The other two last a few years each or until my daughter gets ahold of one!
I do like the rechargeable lights my self and I have lost mine a few times when my son comes up “ hey daddy lemme see your light” but so far it has survived and I do like when it’s dead an can just plug it in with my phone or watch at the same time

I don’t really carry a lot of items. Year round my cell and the keys to all my outer cabins, sheds, and gates. When the bears are awake I chest carry my 454 casull, and in the winter I’ll alternate between chest carrying a 45 or IWB 9mm. In the winter I’ll have a headband light on my head as it’s dark most of the time.
I don’t have to worry about the 4 legged critters here to much it’s the two legged kind that gets me nervous

I don’t have to worry about the 4 legged critters here to much it’s the two legged kind that gets me nervous
Around here you have to watch for slithering and 4 legs more than 2! About a dozen years ago I made the mistake of going out without a sidearm and faced off with a bear just feet from my front door. He was not a little fella either. 700lbs was my guess and he had a tag in the left ear and was gray faced. Later on a guy killed him just off my property and had him weighed 719lbs!!!!!!!!!!!

Around here you have to watch for slithering and 4 legs more than 2! About a dozen years ago I made the mistake of going out without a sidearm and faced off with a bear just feet from my front door. He was not a little fella either. 700lbs was my guess and he had a tag in the left ear and was gray faced. Later on a guy killed him just off my property and had him weighed 719lbs!!!!!!!!!!!
That’s one heck of a bear !!

That’s one heck of a bear !!
Imagine standing face to face with him 20ish feet apart for 5 minutes waiting to see what he was going to do! He finally ambled off. His back was about chest high on me and I'm a touch over 6 foot tall. I was sort of frozen in fear to be honest.

Imagine standing face to face with him 20ish feet apart for 5 minutes waiting to see what he was going to do! He finally ambled off. His back was about chest high on me and I'm a touch over 6 foot tall. I was sort of frozen in fear to be honest.
You must be up in Alaska or a state similar ? We’ve got black bear here in Tennessee but nothing like that 400lbs is a big bear around here but the dogs usually have a good race with something like that

You must be up in Alaska or a state similar ? We’ve got black bear here in Tennessee but nothing like that 400lbs is a big bear around here but the dogs usually have a good race with something like that
Southern Va actually The tag in his ear was put in in 1976 IIRC he was a smart old fella. Very unusual to see one that big in the area came real close to being a record. They have his picture up at Hanks store or did anyway. That's where he was checked. I haven't been in there in several years now.

Southern Va actually The tag in his ear was put in in 1976 IIRC he was a smart old fella. Very unusual to see one that big in the area came real close to being a record. They have his picture up at Hanks store or did anyway. That's where he was checked. I haven't been in there in several years now.
I would like to see that I didn’t think it’d be that close to where I live haha.

I've saw several large black bears in the smokies and over in NC on the Blue Ridge Parkway. One I would bet was pushing 500lbs. Way bigger than others I seen.
Their around
I guess I’m going off of hunting experience when I say 400lbs No doubt they’ll get that big up in cades cove or in the park. They don’t like people hunting up there to much haha

I guess I’m going off of hunting experience when I say 400lbs No doubt they’ll get that big up in cades cove or in the park. They don’t like people hunting up there to much haha
Not to many of them live long enough to get over 400 IMO. Most of them killed in my area are between 150 and 350. If you never smelled a fresh killed bear be happy it's not a smell you can forget! Toss up which smells worse gutting a hog or skinning a bear.

Not to many of them live long enough to get over 400 IMO. Most of them killed in my area are between 150 and 350. If you never smelled a fresh killed bear be happy it's not a smell you can forget! Toss up which smells worse gutting a hog or skinning a bear.
Been around both many times the the far worst Is a coyote I use to do a lot of trapping in my younger days and that was the worst smelling critter I ever run across. It’s about the same for the bear here 200- 350 anything above is considered an old bear

My current daily EDC (on person):

Watch
Wallet (with built in bottle opener)
Cotton Bandanna/Kerchief
Keys (with Olight i3E EOS light)
Cell Phone
Face Mask (immunocompromised, not taking any unnecessary chances)
Antibacterial Wipes
Medic Alert Bracelet
Continuous Glucose Monitor meter
*Blood Glucose Test Kit with test strips, alcohol wipes, and lancet
Insulin Pen
Knife (usually Buck Vantage, sometimes a Ruike or Kershaw)
S&W Shield 9mm
Spare magazine with Hyve extension (10 round) in prototype pocket pouch I made
Spare 8 round magazine in belt pouch
Blue Tooth Ear Buds
*Custom pocket pouch with SAK, BIC lighter, Rite-in-Rain notebook and pen, comb, band-aids
*And recently added an Altoids tin (with Altoids in it, lol)

(* Only if my pants/shorts have cargo pockets or if I'm wearing a coat/vest. Otherwise added to below.)

If I'm going to be out for a while (anything longer than 2-3 hours away from the car), I have a sling bag that I use to carry other essentials (for me) like water, snacks, PSK, IFAK, Leatherman, bigger flashlight with extra batteries, Sharpie, and other goodies.

With my laptop bag ( which doubles as my purse), I have my laptop, 2 notepads, pens, masks, house keys, work keys, my "wallet" which is just a pencil case, some deodorant or perfume, phones, and whatever useless receipts or papers I haven't thrown out yet.

If I don't have my bag with me, I like to wear a fannypack. I think I'll get more of them. They're very useful. I usually keep my phone in there and some loose change if necessary.

Take a look at the Olight EOS 150 on Amazon. It is smaller than a Bic Mini lighter, and it is rechargeable. Has a high and low setting and it twists on. Won't break the bank either.

Mine came today, small but bright :). Thanks for the recommendation.

I "Never" have a wallet or keys, or money on me. I have 6 to 8 feet of 550 cord in my left front pocket, a Myerchin knife (with Marlin Spike) on my belt. And "Generally some type firearm in my right back pocket. And that is it. Sometimes a wristwatch, generally not. In the winter I'll sometimes wear a "Streamlight" 4AA flashlight on belt.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back