Experiment Started! (Just how good are rabbit coco pebble)

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UpTown Family Rabbitry 2

Friend
Neighbor
I am taking a botany class this quarter and one of our main assignments is to do an experiment on basil plants and document the affects it has on their growth. There was a list of experiments that we could choose from(CO2 injections, petting the plants, playing music, adding moss, etc.) or if we wanted to we could make our own. I pitched the idea of adding rabbit manure to the soil and explained its (supposed) benefits and surprisingly/luckily my team was very interested.

We sadly could not mix the manure into the soil as the plants were very young and had just been transplanted into new pots, so we instead had to put a layer on top so that when they are watered the nutrients flow throughout the soil.

Conducting the experiment:

We have 16 basil plants, 8 are the experiment group and 8 are the control group. The experiment group was treated on 10/18 we will measure once the high, and number of leaves. At the end of the quarter, we will clean and try the plants to get over all weight. I will post the experiment specs at the end of the quarter (I don’t have access to them outside of class time). I will also be taking general notes of the overall appearance of the plants.

I am very excited to see the outcome of this experiment. I have always heard about the wonders of rabbit poop, and have used it in my garden for 10+ years, but I have never been able to do a side by side comparison before.

First... When you look up the term ...black thumb... in relation to growing plants there will be a picture of me.... However when I lived in the bush I did the work to plant a lot of native wild and domestic versions of fruit trees and bushes...

The soil was quite sandy. So I would drill a maximum depth hole with the post hold digger on the tractor.. Fill to the brim with rabbit or donkey barn cleanings.. Mound the dirt from the hole around the top and finish with local land fill compost.. Someone with more experience, luck, and expertese would plant the bush.. I would finish by staking a wire cage 4' tall around the plant.. This to keep the moose from browsing it to the ground as soon as you turn your back...

I was told rabbit or donkey barn cleaning could be used right away where chicken barn cleaning needed composted at least over winter before use... Good luck..

I am taking a botany class this quarter and one of our main assignments is to do an experiment on basil plants and document the affects it has on their growth. There was a list of experiments that we could choose from(CO2 injections, petting the plants, playing music, adding moss, etc.) or if we wanted to we could make our own. I pitched the idea of adding rabbit manure to the soil and explained its (supposed) benefits and surprisingly/luckily my team was very interested.

We sadly could not mix the manure into the soil as the plants were very young and had just been transplanted into new pots, so we instead had to put a layer on top so that when they are watered the nutrients flow throughout the soil.

Conducting the experiment:

We have 16 basil plants, 8 are the experiment group and 8 are the control group. The experiment group was treated on 10/18 we will measure once the high, and number of leaves. At the end of the quarter, we will clean and try the plants to get over all weight. I will post the experiment specs at the end of the quarter (I don’t have access to them outside of class time). I will also be taking general notes of the overall appearance of the plants.

I am very excited to see the outcome of this experiment. I have always heard about the wonders of rabbit poop, and have used it in my garden for 10+ years, but I have never been able to do a side by side comparison before.

Was wondering... how fresh are the rabbit pebbles? Reason i ask... fresh rabbit manure has ammonia levels almost as high as fresh chicken manure. Ammonia will burn plants, fresh chicken manure will definitely burn plants. Seen it happen to hay fields several times.

In the past I've read it can happen with rabbit manure. I had rabbits for a year but didn't need their manure for months so it wasn't an issue for me.

Looked tonight but didn't find an ag report directly comparing rabbit with chicken manure, (chemical analysis). I use auburn, texas a&m university ag departments. Both are excellent with tons of info available to the public. Most university databases are open to the public, clunky to use though, helps if you use the correct terminology when searching.

It's been a few years since i read up on rabbit poop. Maybe you can find some data. This is the tx a&m extension service portal.

https://agrilifeextension.tamu.edu/

Latest posts

Back