Exploding head syndrome

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just Cliff

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
For those of you that have not heard of this:
Exploding head syndrome is a condition in which a person experiences unreal noises that are loud and of short duration when falling asleep or waking up. The noise may be frightening, typically occurs only occasionally, and is not a serious health concern. People may also experience a flash of light. Pain is typically absent.

I have had this since I was a teenager. Sometimes it is worse than others. At first it was quite un-nerving. Being a teenager I never said anything to anyone for fear of being put away in an institution. As I got older and learned to deal with it, how to separate real noises from the ones in my head. I was in my early 30's before I found out I wasn't alone and it actually had a name. I still didn't tell anyone about it.
I bring this up because about 4:00 am today. It got my attention. I have not heard any explosions in a while and the one this morning got me. I grabbed my gun and cleared the house, looked outside to see if there had been a car wreck or a large branch had fallen on something. All was well so I sat and smoked a cigarette and drank some water to calm down. I went back to bed about 5:00 am.
Anyone else have this?

I have never heard of this. Sorry you have it. While your initial blurb describing it say is is not a serious health problem, remember that being frightened enough to clear your house with a firearm at 4:00am could have bad results if you have a family and do not live alone. Is there any treatment? Maybe it's best to seek that out (if there is any), than to silently suffer on your own. I pray you can get it sorted out somehow, and be rid of it once and for all.

I have never heard of this. Sorry you have it. While your initial blurb describing it say is is not a serious health problem, remember that being frightened enough to clear your house with a firearm at 4:00am could have bad results if you have a family and do not live alone. Is there any treatment? Maybe it's best to seek that out (if there is any), than to silently suffer on your own. I pray you can get it sorted out somehow, and be rid of it once and for all.
It didn't really frighten me. 30 years of running toward gun fire and clearing buildings at night by myself kinda takes the fear part out. It was just an unfamiliar explosion sound. My wife was in bed and she knew to stay still as the first thing I did is reach over to see if she was in bed. She's had years of experience with my night time excursions.

Yeah that’s me. Both falling asleep and waking me up. It’s been so long that I can’t honestly say when it started. I wouldn’t say it scares me, and I don’t think I’d call it either an explosion or metallic sound. More like something just snaps suddenly inside my head. Really hard to describe...

Never heard of that, but I guess you can get used to it, although it sounds annoying. As a teen, I would sometimes sleepwalk. But that went away.
Better check that restless leg, Sentry, and make sure that's what it is. Husband was diagnosed with that many years ago. It would wake me up at night. The doc recommended doping him up at bedtime. Glad they didn't. Turned out it was that he wasn't getting enough oxygen at night, and his legs would shake. Found that out during a sleep study. Those drugs would of killed him in his sleep. Now he sleeps using 3 liters of oxygen, and no more leg shaking.

I've read about this fairly recently, stumbled across an article somewhere. Read it because I have had this for a couple few years, not a long time. I experience both, light flashes or loud booms or whatever you want to call it, just as I am trying to or have drifted into slumber. Fortunately I am usually closer to sleep than wakefulness and can go back to sleep. It's not every night, not frequent either, but it is bothersome at times.

I've read about this fairly recently, stumbled across an article somewhere. Read it because I have had this for a couple few years, not a long time. I experience both, light flashes or loud booms or whatever you want to call it, just as I am trying to or have drifted into slumber...
Just be glad it isn't ghosts.
The human brain is capable of receiving much more input than just our 5 senses.
The good news is, you have to be where they are, and they have to be angry.
Like being in a room full of people, most are happy.
If there is just one person in the room that's mad, that's the only one you hear.
Everyone experiences the 'exploding head syndrome' or ghosts when they are in what's called "twilight-sleep".
Awake we're fine, asleep we're fine.
Something special happens during the transition from one to the other.
This is well documented with hypnosis. Ordinary people can do 'impossible' things when their brain is in this mode.
Back thru history you read of mediums etc and they all have to go into a "trance" to do their thing.
Seeing a pattern yet?;)

Stay out of the 'Twilight Zone':(.

Last edited:
Gotta be honest 42, I don’t buy into ghosts and mediums. I understand and believe that both are very real for lots of folks, just not me. And DEFINITELY no offense intended to anyone who believes contrary. I totally respect that!

Gotta be honest 42, I don’t buy into ghosts and mediums. I understand and believe that both are very real for lots of folks, just not me. And DEFINITELY no offense intended to anyone who believes contrary. I totally respect that!
Oh, me too.
If anybody asks me;
I ain't heard nothin'
I ain't seen nothin'
And every one of my 4 brothers ain't heard or seen nothin' either:rolleyes:.
They'd say "It's all in your head, and that means you're crazy".

All I can say is, don't do something to pissoff the 'residents' here:
800px-Hatch_Plantation_at_Arcola_004.JPG

...and spend the night:eek:.
(BTW, my 92-year-old mom still lives there. They get along good:).)
Now back to exploding heads:blow up:

Last edited:
Mediums are largely trying to experience what their small psychez otherwise don't allow them to do when fully conscious. I'm kidding.

I don't think this is spirit stuff (exploding sounds and flashes of light). I think it is electrical and physiological.

IMHO, Mediums invite spirits that don't walk with positive force. I used to believe ghosts existed but now I believe it differently.

Latest posts

Back