Favorite Books and Authors

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weedygarden

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I have been wanting to start this thread for a while, and then I saw that today is National Book Lovers Day – August 9, 2019.

I know that I will miss or forget some of my favorite books and authors, but I will start! I know my list is far from complete.
-------------------------------------------------------

The Bible

The Power of One, by Bryce Courtenay

Pearl Buck's books--I don't know if I have read all of them, but I have tried to. The Good Earth was the first one that I read, when I was in h.s.

The Road, by Cormac McCarthy

John Steinbeck's books--I haven't read all of them, but I have read all that were in certain libraries.

Laura Ingall's Wilder's books

Ernest Hemingway--The Old Man and the Sea,

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, by Betty Smith

Malcolm Gladwell--Outliers, The Tipping Point, What the Dog Saw

51p0%2BC-iEoL._SX322_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

My all time favorite southern humorist. I had all his books but loaned some out didn't get back. I still have several left.

Love southern humor.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/147413.I_Haven_t_Understood_Anything_Since_1962

I Haven't Understood Anything Since 1962
by
Lewis Grizzard
4.03 · Rating details · 226 ratings · 14 reviews
Lewis Grizzard remembers 1962. But a lot's happened since then, and he's in the mood to discuss it all, in the inimitable style that's made him the most popular social commentator to tickle people AND tick them off. From being PC to watching MTV, from rednecks to black militants, from singing the praises of the South to sounding off on the problems of just about everywhere ...more
GET A COPY

Car if nothing else just pick the one who makes you laugh the most.

I like Lewis Grizzard but this lady is funny too.I may buy her books.

I'm talking about our own home grown member authors, they are great!

I'm talking about our own home grown member authors, they are great!

Oh,:oops:. I don't read much online because of being up and down so much posting and doing other things. I listen more than I read like youtube etc,.
I like physical books that I can pick up and put down without being online all the time. But I'm sure we have talent here in writers like everything else. We have it all .:cool:

I mentioned this book in my first post, and I don't know why, but it has come up for me and remained in my thoughts for several days now, more than a week. I have heard more than one person, all men, say it was their all time favorite book. I have a copy of it, and perhaps I need to re-read it. It is a thick book, and so good. Has anyone else read it? It is about a boy and his growth into manhood--boarding school, bullies, bed wetting, boxing, working in mines, a white man working around Afrikans.

It has been made into a movie, but I have never seen it. I think I will have to find a way to watch it soon.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/122.The_Power_of_One
(The Power of One #1)
by
Bryce Courtenay
4.32 · Rating details · 81,589 ratings · 5,331 reviews
In 1939, as Hitler casts his enormous, cruel shadow across the world, the seeds of apartheid take root in South Africa. There, a boy called Peekay is born. His childhood is marked by humiliation and abandonment, yet he vows to survive and conceives heroic dreams, which are nothing compared to what life actually has in store for him. He embarks on an epic journey through a land of tribal superstition and modern prejudice where he will learn the power of words, the power to transform lives and the power of one.

Weedy: You know this isn't fair. It is like asking which child you love the most. I'm not sure I can even narrow it down to fiction or non-fiction.

I think for fiction it would be John Grisham's A Painted House, and for non-fiction it would be Ron Chernow's biography of Ulysses Grant.

There are at least a dozen authors whose works I have consumed. I have read everything they have written. Sadly some are gone. In fact too many are gone. I miss them desperately.

I have been wanting to start this thread for a while, and then I saw that today is National Book Lovers Day – August 9, 2019.

I know that I will miss or forget some of my favorite books and authors, but I will start! I know my list is far from complete.
-------------------------------------------------------

The Bible

The Power of One, by Bryce Courtenay

Pearl Buck's books--I don't know if I have read all of them, but I have tried to. The Good Earth was the first one that I read, when I was in h.s.

The Road, by Cormac McCarthy

John Steinbeck's books--I haven't read all of them, but I have read all that were in certain libraries.

Laura Ingall's Wilder's books

Ernest Hemingway--The Old Man and the Sea,

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, by Betty Smith

Malcolm Gladwell--Outliers, The Tipping Point, What the Dog Saw
I knew Pearl Buck when I was a little kid.
I spent many days over many years at her house as my mother was her cleaning woman.

I knew Pearl Buck when I was a little kid.
I spent many days over many years at her house as my mother was her cleaning woman.
Amazing! I am so envious! Her parents were missionaries in China which is where she got her background knowledge of China and Chinese people.
My mother had a copy of The Good Earth. It survived and I read it in h.s. and thought it was the best book! I loved it! I did a book report on it, and most of my classmates were farmer's children. I couldn't even make it as interesting as it was and as I could now. I fell in love with that book and have read it a few times since. I need to read it again! I have read several, if not all of her books, but that was a few decades ago.
When I was in college, I had many Chinese friends, and I tribute that to Pearl Buck.

I am currently working through Jane Austen's writings and movies, and have a ways to go. I have never read her books or watched her movies, but I am going through all of them now.

Weedy: You know this isn't fair. It is like asking which child you love the most. I'm not sure I can even narrow it down to fiction or non-fiction.

I think for fiction it would be John Grisham's A Painted House, and for non-fiction it would be Ron Chernow's biography of Ulysses Grant.

There are at least a dozen authors whose works I have consumed. I have read everything they have written. Sadly some are gone. In fact too many are gone. I miss them desperately.
I know there are many books and authors that I love. I never limit myself to just a few. I used to do lots of reading in the summers as a child, and there are many well loved books in this world.
Because I don't remember the whole story within a while after reading it, or watching a movie, I re-read and re-watch movies, sometimes too many times.

Because I don't remember the whole story within a while after reading it, or watching a movie, I re-read and re-watch movies, sometimes too many times.

And sometimes we watch them and read them over and over because we enjoy them so much. There are some movies where I know the dialogue. That is perfectly O.K. with me.

And sometimes we watch them and read them over and over because we enjoy them so much. There are some movies where I know the dialogue. That is perfectly O.K. with me.
Me, too! It is a great thing to do when traveling, to have a well loved friend of a book along. I did have a student whose mother said she would never read the same book twice to her children or to herself because there are so many good books in the world. I guess she needs to age a little.

When I was in h.s., I worked at the library in town. The librarian would take books to shut ins. One woman always had one or more of Daphne du Maurier's books out. I never knew the woman who was older and never left home, but count on the fact that she probably finished one of the books and started a new one right away.

One of my favs is "The Enchanted April" by Elizabeth von Arden. One of the things I like about it is the story of how it came to be. Her critics claimed she couldn't write anything nice so while vacationing in Italy, she wrote what became her most successful book and it is lovely.
I typically read non-fiction: one I recently finished was by Della T Lutes "Country Kitchen." A memoir of food and meals and family stories that went with them growing up in the 1870's (humorous.) Also, I had a list of 'new to me' words when I was finished reading it. I like to learn.
Old journals. (I have a GG uncle's from Civil War.)
Oh yea, Weedy - Man at Sea was good. Daphne du Maurier - I think a couple of hers were made into A. Hitchcock movies. I've read 3 of hers I think - dark. And believe it or not, I've never read the Little House books - I need to! I like Austen - strong vocabulary and word accuracy lends to the stories.
And on occasion, I like to pick up my "Complete works of Shakespeare" a read a spell. A true wordsmith.

Latest posts

Back