• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Homesteading & Country Living and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Fence tool review

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always kept a fencing tool, fence pliers, like this on the tractor... When I had to do fence work, repair and such I found it handy at times to have 2 fence pliers to work with.. I had 1 cheap tool and one brand name tool.. I think the brand name tool was a Channel Lock...

At one time I had the fence tool my grandpa Gilbert carried in a saddle bag when he homesteaded around 1910 or so.. Don't remember if there was a brand name on the tool or not.. It was well used, but useful..

I keep a pair of wire pliers in my kitchen drawer- we refer to them as the kitchen utensil. They are handy for so many things. That’s one thing I had my own set of when I went to college. My roommate didn’t know what they were but picked them up out of the kitchen drawer and asked me if they were something that belonged in there. I explained- she got to using them too 😁

I have a couple of those tools too. The best tool that I've found for tightening loose barb wire is called Jakes wire tighteners, at jakeswiretighteners.com. I've used several hundred of them on our fences around here. Been using them for almost 10 years now and have never had a broken wire due to these clips. Some of our barb wire must be 60 - 75 years old and very rusty.

Some of our barb wire must be 60 - 75 years old and very rusty.

You might get a laugh... When I was a kid my uncle’s farm joined ours to the west. About 700acres, he also had a little country store, knew everyone, always joking around. His miles of fence were very old and in bad shape. (I worked on them 2 summers and didn’t put a dent).

His cows were always getting out, a constant (or the hogs). It happened so often people would joke, say ‘Jim’s cows fell out of the pasture again’! 🤣 Most of his wire sagging… ‘They must have tripped!’ I’ve actually had people driving by the house stop and say to me… 'call your uncle jim, tell him his cows fell out again over by the Jeff house or Moore place or'. 🤣🤣

He took it in good humor, he just had 'too many irons in the fire'. had a bunch of daughters who married and moved away... 700 acres is a lot for one man. I worked for him often. :)

Last edited:
You might get a laugh... When I was a kid my uncle’s farm joined ours to the west. About 700acres, he also had a little country store, knew everyone, always joking around. His miles of fence were very old and in bad shape. (I worked on them 2 summers and didn’t put a dent).

His cows were always getting out, a constant (or the hogs). It happened so often people would joke, say ‘Jim’s cows fell out of the pasture again’! 🤣 Most of his wire sagging… ‘They must have tripped!’ I’ve actually had people driving by the house stop and say to me… 'call your uncle jim, tell him his cows fell out again over by the Jeff house or Moore place or'. 🤣🤣

He took it in good humor, he just had 'too many irons in the fire'. had a bunch of daughters who married and moved away... 700 acres is a lot for one man. I worked for him often. :)
A lot has changed from back in the 'old days' :rolleyes:.
Back when we were putting up miles of barbed-wire onto wood posts, you only needed 2 tools, a hammer, and one of these:
515UHUnOpfS._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

Back when we were putting up miles of barbed-wire onto wood posts, you only needed 2 tools, a hammer, and one of these:
Actually with one of those you could get by with no hammer. Didn't work quite as well, but only one tool needed. I have the set me and my dad put up a bunch of fence with. Bought a new set as well, but the older set is better

Actually with one of those you could get by with no hammer. Didn't work quite as well, but only one tool needed. I have the set me and my dad put up a bunch of fence with. Bought a new set as well, but the older set is better
If you are driving staples into mockorange posts, you need a hammer :(.
You use the pliers to hold the staple so you still have all your fingers at the end of the day :oops:.

I've got several of these tools. They will drive a staple in an emergency, but I prefer a hammer too. The other necessary tool is a wire stretcher. I use a lot of the Jake clips to tighten loose wire. When there's a break in the wire the stretcher will pull the two wires together to be spliced.

Latest posts

Back