Feral Swine - Washington State

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Talking about pigs. An acquaintance who lives about 3 miles from me has a visitor, a pot bellied pig that is staying at his house. He feeds it when it comes into the barn and it tries to hangout with the cattle but the cattle butt it away. Also about 3 miles in the other direction there was a pig that was hanging around a public fishing area, no one claimed it and somebody finally took it home. It was friendly and lonesome, people had been feeding it. Either pigs are escaping or people are dumping animals. I put my money on the latter. I even had something digging up my property out in the field a few years back, swear it was a pig, had several people look at the ground and they felt that is what it had to be. Sod does not roll itself up.

I'll bet you're right about people dumping their pets.

It's a shame, too, because pigs can be nice animals when they're brought up like pets, and they seem very intelligent and very social.

I've heard that people buy pet pigs that are, supposedly, a minature breed...and they turn out to be huge, so people dump them.

Poor animal.

I understand.

I must have had different experiences. I dated a girl in college who had a pet pig.

We would sit outside in her front yard, and this animal would rest his head on my lap. I used to take him for walks on a leash with his harness.

He was cute, and liked it whem people payed attention to him.

I don't know what breed he was...just that he was small (at least as far as pigs go).

When I get a pig that I'm raising to butcher is clip the canines at 10 month if a boar, they can be a dangerous animal around kids and adults, I keep the youngsters away from the pen unless an adult is with them, they are incredibly fast when attacking and have no qualms of turning ya into a meal, never know about them and perhaps the most unpredictable animal on the farm especially if hungry.

Either pigs are escaping or people are dumping animals.
Pigs have been escaping ever since Columbus brought them here (at Queen Isabella's insistence). All the wild hogs we have on our place in the Mississippi Delta are from escaped domestic pigs. People didn't fence them in, I can still remember a house a half mile from us that had yard pigs. Every once in a while a pig would get a wild hair and run away.

When I get a pig that I'm raising to butcher is clip the canines at 10 month if a boar, they can be a dangerous animal around kids and adults, I keep the youngsters away from the pen unless an adult is with them, they are incredibly fast when attacking and have no qualms of turning ya into a meal, never know about them and perhaps the most unpredictable animal on the farm especially if hungry.
About 20 years ago there was a guy in the next county that had pigs on some scrap of property with an old trailer, etc. The authorities got involved when it was reported they were being starved to death, apparently he thought they could live on turkey bones and feathers, he told the authorities it was "an experiment". I guess while the cops were there a rabbit ran into the enclosure and all heck broke loose. Pigs chasing that rabbit to eat it. A cop said he never saw anything like it. So a hungry pig is indeed a dangerous critter.

About 20 years ago there was a guy in the next county that had pigs on some scrap of property with an old trailer, etc. The authorities got involved when it was reported they were being starved to death, apparently he thought they could live on turkey bones and feathers, he told the authorities it was "an experiment". I guess while the cops were there a rabbit ran into the enclosure and all heck broke loose. Pigs chasing that rabbit to eat it. A cop said he never saw anything like it. So a hungry pig is indeed a dangerous critter.

They have killed and attacked humans, farm hogs and wild even if not hungry a sow with piglets are extremely dangerous.

Someone mentioned pigs on the loose, it was an old practice in Appalachia to allow pigs to free roam and feed off mast. They notched their ears to identify them when they went to hunt them up. Might have read this in Foxfire.

Pigs have been escaping ever since Columbus brought them here (at Queen Isabella's insistence). All the wild hogs we have on our place in the Mississippi Delta are from escaped domestic pigs. People didn't fence them in, I can still remember a house a half mile from us that had yard pigs. Every once in a while a pig would get a wild hair and run away.
A jug, a rocking chair and pigs under the porch.

Someone mentioned pigs on the loose, it was an old practice in Appalachia to allow pigs to free roam and feed off mast. They notched their ears to identify them when they went to hunt them up.
That's what brought Hatfield and McCoy feud to a head. Floyd Hatfield had a pig that Randolf McCoy claimed had McCoy notches in its ears. When Randolph took Floyd to court, the Justice of the Peace was "Preacher Anse" Hatfield who ruled in favor of Floyd Hatfield based on the testimony of Bill Staton, who was then murdered by Sam and Paris McCoy in retaliation for his testimony. Things spiraled out of control from there.

Iv heard yhat domestic farm pigs can get lose and with in couple years the offspring start looking and acting like wild boars .
Theres a small moutain community near by that some of the hunters traveled to East TN and caught some wild hogs brought them home and turned them lose . Im in the woods quite a bit and have saw no sign of them being in this part of Middle TN but TWRA say they should be here .
TN has taking the stance that wild hogs can not be hunted but if you own land you can eradicate them . That is supposed to keep hunting groups from spreading the population and bring populations under control .

Latest posts

Back