Fiber cement lap siding

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aklogcabin

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
We are getting ready to install new fiber cement lap siding on our new home. I've got the corner boards done n hopefully finish trimming out the windows today. Starting on siding tomorrow.
I've never worked with this product and been 45 years since I did lap siding. Any suggestions would be appreciated

We are getting ready to install new fiber cement lap siding on our new home. I've got the corner boards done n hopefully finish trimming out the windows today. Starting on siding tomorrow.
I've never worked with this product and been 45 years since I did lap siding. Any suggestions would be appreciated
Don't forget the silicone for the joints, and be careful not to put the nails to close to the edge of the board or it'll chip right off.

Soak a little piece overnight and see if it droops, if it does, send it back to home depot, the Chinese stuff is just particle board and fiberglass.

I didn't buy it at home depot. But they carry James hardy siding. Except in ak. Only place I could get it in the state was spenards building supplies. And they carry Alure brand. It's all cement. Except for the trim package. It's a composite wood chip with a primer. It will all get good Sherwin Williams paint. Acrylic latex. Yes caulk at end of boards but not at butt ends. Use 15# felt behind the joints. I've watched the stuff on James Hardy and Alure web site and a couple others. And I bought the siding holder upper tool, a camelion clamp that holds the boards while nailed.
I think I'm ready. And its supposed to rain next 2 days. You'll have that !
Plenty of other work. Maybe get the electrical runs in the attic finished up so we can get the vapor barrier, sheetrock n blown in cellulose insulation done. Be nice when whole home is insulated.
Winters coming fast here. Leaves are pretty much gone and getting into low 20 to low 40s. Rim of ice around the little pond down the road. Almost ice fishing season, yeah !
Thanks folks appreciate the discussion

We don't get hail . Forest fires are our thing. The Alure is 5/16" thick and hardy is 1/4" thick. So Alure is a 1/16" thicker if that matters. Just wanted something one n done. Don't want extra work in our future. And I believe that it helps in retail value and sale ability if that ever happens. Current plan is to live there forever with my beautiful wife and surrounded by our kids n grandkids. Just living the dream folks

Don’t you have snow yet? Three plus inches at the moment and I expect more to be added over the next couple days. Good times!

We don't get hail . Forest fires are our thing. The Alure is 5/16" thick and hardy is 1/4" thick. So Alure is a 1/16" thicker if that matters. Just wanted something one n done. Don't want extra work in our future. And I believe that it helps in retail value and sale ability if that ever happens. Current plan is to live there forever with my beautiful wife and surrounded by our kids n grandkids. Just living the dream folks
As I recall, the Hardy Board finish doesn't hold up. I wasn't going to mention it as you had already made your purchase. Now that you mentioned that you went with a different brand I'll post for the next person.

As I recall, the Hardy Board finish doesn't hold up. I wasn't going to mention it as you had already made your purchase. Now that you mentioned that you went with a different brand I'll post for the next person.
I have Hardy Panel on a couple of my buildings. 26 years old and in perfect condition (except it needs a new coat of paint).

On the alure website it mentioned that the way its face is finished better and it is smoother and lasts longer than hardy. Only brand we can get except alure won't warranty any products in Ak. So we get stroked again

Reactions: Neb
No snow yet. Don't be saying those things. My plan is to remove the transmission from my 76 f-250 and put a new torque converter n seal in. And rebuild the hydraulic in the plow. After the siding is done. Gotta get the rest of the level lines snapped on the walls n mark the stud location. Having a lazer level helps. Hoping to have a small crew of family to help out and only take a couple days. Wish I could work long days again. But working looooong days wore my ol body out. Oh well you'll have that, nothing but wins around here

I've read some good stuff and hardy. But my research says Alure is 5/16" thick, hardy is 1/4" . And that the face is smooter accepting paint better.
Hey all we can get sowe like the cement aspect after burning down once .
Looks like we will be ready to start tomorrow. Then fix plow truck and then this weekend our son is getting the cement walls of a new 30x40 addition to his house. Kinda getting busy around here

Latest posts

Back