Firewads

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just got back from the head smoke shop, bought 5 cartons. guess who has even MORE cheapo lighters? Habib likes me, always giving me free stuff.

On of my primary "go to" setups for heating.
Pour about half the jug of alcohol/ethanol into cast iron pot. Torch it. It only takes a second to get it going.
It'll raise the temp in the shop (a little over 4000 cu/ft) around 1 degree/minute. That matches the heating output of my 70,000 BTU propane heater that's also in the shop.
Alcohol doesn't produce carbon monoxide so it's safe to breath the air.

Resized_20221206_151924.jpeg
20220213_155345.jpg

Last edited:
i learned recently from a friend about buying loads of cheap paper coffee filters. he says they are the best and cheapest fire starters. seems like a pretty good idea. i rely on old newspapers or paper from amazon boxes or old mail, then some pine cones to start my stove. but one day there wont be newspapers or package fillers. or mail. having some of the plain paper coffee filters set aside is not a bad idea and they are cheap. pack of 100 runs around $1.50 or less. i use my wood stove for heat 7 months a year so for letw say 3 packs a year for $4.50, thats not bad.

i learned recently from a friend about buying loads of cheap paper coffee filters. he says they are the best and cheapest fire starters. seems like a pretty good idea. i rely on old newspapers or paper from amazon boxes or old mail, then some pine cones to start my stove. but one day there wont be newspapers or package fillers. or mail. having some of the plain paper coffee filters set aside is not a bad idea and they are cheap. pack of 100 runs around $1.50 or less. i use my wood stove for heat 7 months a year so for letw say 3 packs a year for $4.50, thats not bad.

There are lots of good uses for coffee filters. Always a good item to keep on hand. :thumbs:

We prefer to not mess with kindling when starting a fire. We start fires using whole, split pieces of 4" to 6" pieces. I doubt if a coffee filter could start such large logs without using kindling.

This just popped up on my You Tube menu. Looks like it is cheap, easy, and effective. I would use a prescription bottle, and put Gorilla tape around the lid, but IMHO any container system would work.

I would use a prescription bottle
I have boxes of them.
I keep telling myself I will find a good use for them so I keep em.
My wife gets her Rx from Amazon and they use really good bottles. Easy to open and the labels come off in one piece.
If you need some let me know.

I have boxes of them.
I keep telling myself I will find a good use for them so I keep em.
My wife gets her Rx from Amazon and they use really good bottles. Easy to open and the labels come off in one piece.
If you need some let me know.

I have made dozens of fire starting kits with prescription bottles. We too take maintenance medication, so there is no shortage and we have several sizes. Even the regular size (about 1" diameter x 2-3" tall) is sufficient for a pretty thorough kit. I include a mini Bic lighter, a couple of types of matches, a striker strip, a couple of birthday candles, a small piece (maybe 6" x 6") of aluminum foil folded. If you have the style that has a child-proof closure you can stuff a cottonball in the top. I always seal the closure with Gorilla tape, so they are waterproof, and will float. Admittedly, I have not tested them to see how long they will remain waterproof, but they are good for at least a few minutes.

Latest posts

Back