First Common Core H.S. Grads Worst Prepared For College in 15 Years

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weedygarden

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
https://thefederalist.com/2019/10/3...qbINhrcVUJXyyD8vFqT8fEfhY4apLJv-B7dw5EHREDYFs

Is anyone surprised? I am not! I actually know several teachers who quit teaching when CC hit education. When I was teaching and as the years passed, I always looked for better materials and lessons for teaching essential concepts. With CC, it seemed to be the worst thing I had ever experienced. Of course, it was about someone making money, and for the average public school student to be less competent.

My gut says nothing as important as educating our kids using government-approved methods, so CC is no mistake; the powers that be wouldn't accidentally screw up like this.

Ultimately, it comes down to parenting. Moms and dads teach their kids. School teachers augment what kids learn, but they should never be kids' primary sources of knowledge.

My gut says nothing as important as educating our kids using government-approved methods, so CC is no mistake; the powers that be wouldn't accidentally screw up like this.

Ultimately, it comes down to parenting. Moms and dads teach their kids. School teachers augment what kids learn, but they should never be kids' primary sources of knowledge.
When I did various interviews with children when I was teaching, I can tell you that many parents see no responsibility or interest in their part contributing to their child's education. I think I have shared this before. I asked children what was there favorite book at home? They had no books in their homes. Who reads to you? No one, we don't have any books.

I am not defending or accusing anyone, just sharing facts. Mothers get up in the morning, get ready to go to work, get their family ready to go to school, breakfast, maybe a little clean up. Out the door they go and at the end of the day, family comes home. Mom has worked all day and is tired as is everyone else in the family. Mom cooks dinner, often also does the clean up. It may be 7 or 8 in the evening. Children need to have baths and get ready for bed. Homework? Oh, maybe, maybe not. Some dads are involved at home, some are like another child and want to be cared for as well. Some dads are equally exhausted. Then there is house cleaning and maintenance, laundry, shopping.

Some people do not even think about it or consider it an important thing to do. It is the schools job, not theirs.

I just deleted a big rant. You are all welcome! You don't need to hear it.

When I did various interviews with children when I was teaching, I can tell you that many parents see no responsibility or interest in their part contributing to their child's education. I think I have shared this before. I asked children what was there favorite book at home? They had no books in their homes. Who reads to you? No one, we don't have any books.

I am not defending or accusing anyone, just sharing facts. Mothers get up in the morning, get ready to go to work, get their family ready to go to school, breakfast, maybe a little clean up. Out the door they go and at the end of the day, family comes home. Mom has worked all day and is tired as is everyone else in the family. Mom cooks dinner, often also does the clean up. It may be 7 or 8 in the evening. Children need to have baths and get ready for bed. Homework? Oh, maybe, maybe not. Some dads are involved at home, some are like another child and want to be cared for as well. Some dads are equally exhausted. Then there is house cleaning and maintenance, laundry, shopping.

Some people do not even think about it or consider it an important thing to do. It is the schools job, not theirs.

I just deleted a big rant. You are all welcome! You don't need to hear it.

Weedy this is not about teachers I have upmost respect for manyog them always did.

But the libs took over our school system long time ago.
The women threw the baby out with the bath water,imo. Jack boot fems and their secret immoral, tyrant leaders destroyed the family unit. The 1960s was the best of times and the worst of times.

Weedy this is not about teachers I have upmost respect for manyog them always did.

But the libs took over our school system long time ago.
The women threw the baby out with the bath water,imo. Jack boot fems and their secret immoral, tyrant leaders destroyed the family unit. The 1960s was the best of times and the worst of times.
It is easy to blame schools and teachers, but seldom is the blame placed on society and the family dynamics. If someone complains on the news about how bad the test scores are, well it means we have bad teachers and schools.

It is easy to blame schools and teachers, but seldom is the blame placed on society and the family dynamics. If someone complains on the news about how bad the test scores are, well it means we have bad teachers and schools.

I'm afraid good teachers like good cops will soon be a thing of the past. The ones who deserve the respect don't get it.

I'm afraid good teachers like good cops will soon be a thing of the past. The ones who deserve the respect don't get it.
I have seen the duplicitous and manipulative ones sidle up next to the principal and convince them of many things that were not true. One principal that I had for too long was all about people of color, because she, a Hispanic woman, "had been done wrong." I saw incompetent people put in positions that they had no business in, because of them being minorities and it was a position of power, and then ultimately, failure.

I have seen the duplicitous and manipulative ones sidle up next to the principal and convince them of many things that were not true. One principal that I had for too long was all about people of color, because she, a Hispanic woman, "had been done wrong." I saw incompetent people put in positions that they had no business in, because of them being minorities and it was a position of power, and then ultimately, failure.

Same thing for most places now. Including some medical schools. All liberal run.
Hard to beleive Emory University a world renouned hospital.

Shame they are so stupid they don't realize they are destroying their own futures.

@bkt Amen! I have said for many years that's it's a parent's job to educate their children whether they choose to do so themselves or hire it out. (And there is a price to public school.)
@Weedygarden Hope there's enough room on that soap box for two :D. There is something to be said for a stay at home parent. What I see is adults wanting to be children rather than children wanting to be adults. Parents are sitting playing video games until all hours. What are children to learn? I too know so many good teachers who have taken early retirement due to a combo of rules and regs and horrible behavior of the children.

As a homeschooling mom, I've held on to my pre- (or non-) CC material. My youngest has essentially 1.5 years to go, but I'm keeping core material in each subject and grade, just in case...
It is so good to see you here today! I have wondered what you have been up to. So sorry to hear about your son. Prayers for a good recovery.

Latest posts

Back