Fitness? What do you do for fitness, if anything?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When we lived up the mountain, seemed we were going to get wood, splitting and stacking, hauling it in to burn. Then the yard (1 acre) and taking care of it etc. Always seemed active. We now live just out of town and I seem to do a lot of sitting. I started jogging and was actually doing it nearly every day until time change. It’s dark when I go to work and dark when I get home. I do stretches nearly daily but that isn’t exercise. I’ve been trying to figure out when I can do something in the house to exercise.

3 things helped me.

#1 - I lost 25 pounds.
#2 - I wore an overnight brace.
#3 - I started using Spenco "Total Support Max" insoles in all my shoes and boots. I recommend them for anyone who has PF...
Other than loosing weight, he did about the same. He wasn’t/isn’t overweight.

Something I used to do when I traveled for work might help others. I was in seattle and saw a karate school in a strip mall offering free classes. Then again in another city. When I got home I bought a Gi to wear and took a few local classes for free. Afterwards I’d pack the gi when I traveled. There were always free classes, basic karate or another discipline, took a few self defense classes and the like. Even did ti chi a few times. It was a cheap way to get some useful exercise. For me it was easier to exercise if there was a bigger purpose.

In those days I often flew with a handgun and would go to shooting ranges in cities where I worked. It was common to meet people involved in martial arts. Who knew of free classes, reduced rates could be arranged.

I consider my job is my main workout and walking my dogs as much as my feet let me.
I'd really like to start jogging again but my feet..uggh ...I think the plantar fascia in both are toast..they kill me daily.
I gotta get this resolved...
My place keeps me active n moving too..garden n critters..
I had PF years ago. I stopped jogging and did some stretches I saw online and it eventually went away and I haven't had it since. I've only run a couple of 5K's since then and I'm usually sore the next day b/c I don't really train for them. I doubt I'll do another one though b/c now my hips are getting arthritic. PF really sucks. I think I also used topical magnesium cream on my feet if I remember correctly. I'm glad to be rid of it.

I had PF years ago. I stopped jogging and did some stretches I saw online and it eventually went away and I haven't had it since. I've only run a couple of 5K's since then and I'm usually sore the next day b/c I don't really train for them. I doubt I'll do another one though b/c now my hips are getting arthritic. PF really sucks. I think I also used topical magnesium cream on my feet if I remember correctly. I'm glad to be rid of it.
I've had it off n on b4 as well. I guess when I was younger, I was able to recover from it faster.
A few years ago right b4 I turned 50 , It started sneaking back..then menopause hit...then thyroid n bp went wackadoodle...it slammed me on my butt pretty hard.
However..I'm a Taurus right..way too stubborn to not rise up n get stuff right in my world. Life might knock me down physically but I'll rise from it stronger spirituality..just with a gimpy limp..lol..roarrrr
I think I'll look up those inserts tho..

This is timely with all the new years resolutions that will be dropped in a couple of weeks? I think the problem most people have is consistency. And why do they lack consistency and mental discipline? Mental obstacles.

Most people are full of temporary ambitions? They make lofty goals and get gungho. And they overdue things for a temporary basis. The mental obstacles build and gain power and momentum.

Probably the most common mental obstacle is time. Beginners think they have to dedicate long tracts of time to exercise. You only need ten minutes. You almost certainly don't need more than thirty, unless you're on roids! I did a college paper on Bulgarian weight lifting years ago. They cut strenuous activity short because natural testosterone falls off a cliff after thirty minutes of high intensity exercises. You might feel good about yourself to start, but you'll have planted mental obstacles that will kick your butt off the routine.

Another common mental mistake is prioritizing aerobic over anaerobic exercises. It's much easier to get your blood flowing and realize positive changes doing anaerobic exercises with less time and fewer mental road blocks. Equipment can be fun (and music) and a way to vary, but calisthenics is a good start. And a simple bench and dumbbells can be all you ever need?

Simpler is better. Shorter is better. Above all is consistency? Don't start a routine with mental obstacles. Fine tune and continue learning to optimize your consistency with routine and minimize your road blocks?

Latest posts

Back