Fly Fishing

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hashbrown

Peckerwood
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
In my early 20s I was a trout guide, manly fly fishing. I live close to really great trout fishing and haven’t really fly fished for trout in 20 years. I think I let people burn me out on something I enjoyed. I have a friend that has been after me to go with him so we are heading up Taneycomo in the morning. So I’m sitting here going through 25 year old flys wondering if I still remember how to do it. Guess I’ll find out in the morning.

F297CF7E-C358-4B72-80EF-8948F6DCBA14.jpeg
C6FCCD84-4FFF-4C03-9E82-1F25BAD276C5.jpeg

In my early 20s I was a trout guide, manly fly fishing. I live close to really great trout fishing and haven’t really fly fished for trout in 20 years. I think I let people burn me out on something I enjoyed. I have a friend that has been after me to go with him so we are heading up Taneycomo in the morning. So I’m sitting here going through 25 year old flys wondering if I still remember how to do it. Guess I’ll find out in the morning.

View attachment 77725View attachment 77726
Glad you were manly and not feminine - not sure how well lace works with fishing 😂 Sorry, couldn't resist. Hubby is a fly fisherman. We joke and after a day of fishing I generally ask him if he's a fisherman or a catcherman. He doesn't care - says the moving water is therapy. Fish on!

Glad you were manly and not feminine - not sure how well lace works with fishing 😂 Sorry, couldn't resist. Hubby is a fly fisherman. We joke and after a day of fishing I generally ask him if he's a fisherman or a catcherman. He doesn't care - says the moving water is therapy. Fish on!
Your Hubs is right. It's called fishin, not catchin. Amazing how much better frame of mind one is in after a day on the water.

@hashbrown I've fished Taneycomo, but that was clear back when I was a kid. I don't remember anybody fly fishing there. The trout were deep and everybody was using salmon eggs or little bitty spoons like a Little Cleo.

Good luck with the fly fishing. I used to catch sunfish that way, and I had a good time doing it. But I think I would be lucky to hit the ground if I aimed straight down nowadays. Fly fishing is too much work for me...

@hashbrown I've fished Taneycomo, but that was clear back when I was a kid. I don't remember anybody fly fishing there. The trout were deep and everybody was using salmon eggs or little bitty spoons like a Little Cleo.

Good luck with the fly fishing. I used to catch sunfish that way, and I had a good time doing it. But I think I would be lucky to hit the ground if I aimed straight down nowadays. Fly fishing is too much work for me...

This time of year the trout are pushing up stream to spawn, from the mouth of Fall Creek to the damn is a trophy zone. No salmon eggs or powerbait it's 95% fly fishing. At the base of the damn it's been mostly fly fishing as long as I can remember. If they are releasing water this morning it will be no fishing for us today, there is a good beer joint right there so it will be fun either way.

Do they sound alarms if they release water? I seem to remember that. But that was 40 years ago...

Yes sir, I got down there this morning and they’re releasing water so I’m at the Hungry Hunter for breakfast. I might go back and fight the current after a bit or maybe head up one of the creeks.

My police partner custom made some really nice fly rods. They were called "Henson" rods, and he made me a beautiful rod. I took a fly rod class for several weeks and look really bitchen casting it. Problem I have is I've never caught one darn fish with it. Yeah, I'm cool looking, but would starve if I needed to eat fish.

Yes sir, I got down there this morning and they’re releasing water so I’m at the Hungry Hunter for breakfast. I might go back and fight the current after a bit or maybe head up one of the creeks.
One of the things I remember most about Taneycomo was getting up into the upper end where the water was cold and clear, and looking down into the water. You could see big rainbows swimming around down there about 12 or 15 feet deep.. And they ignored everything we threw at them. I did finally catch a 10 inch baby trout. And then pops decided to head downstream into the warm water where we caught bluegills left and right. But those damn trout had a case of lockjaw or something. 3 days fishing for one trout...

My police partner custom made some really nice fly rods. They were called "Henson" rods... Problem I have is I've never caught one darn fish with it. ...would starve if I needed to eat fish.

Aaah, it's just a matter of finding the 'right spot', and sussing out 'what they're bitin on' when yer there.. Good to have a variety of ties 'common to [that] area', so you can quickly change-over and try somethin else.. 'Midges' seemed to almost Always get a bite, regardless of stream / season, but.. YMMV.. :)

We should go sometime.. 🤔 Somewhere-somewhere Kaweah River somewhere, Sometime? :)
jd

We were taught to bring a 5 gallon bucket, and fill with stream water. It will tell you what colored nymphs are there, and what is the color of the leaves and debris. This helps choosing the correct fly. Then again, don't listen to a guy who has never caught a fish with a $2500 rod!

A short mov and a pic. A buddy sent me this from last winter in PA. He only goes fly fishing. He called this trout a "Palomino". I accused him of raiding a koi pond.

Animal Big  a ( 9).jpeg

Latest posts

Back