Fly Fishing

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't gone fly fishing in years. Now that the wife is retired, she used to commute to Alaska for work, we're going to do a lot more fishing. We live in an area with a lot of trout streams and lakes, plus salmon and steelhead. Down on the Snake there's also sturgeon and large catfish. I'm planing on making my own lures; spoons, spinners etc. I've also started making a wooden drift boat too. I have an aluminum jet boat right now.

Supposed to be 9 degrees in the morning, could be the perfect morning for a big brown. Got my junk ready to go and there shouldn’t be many folks around the dam in the morning being that cold.

B0417FFF-CB8A-4B43-A93A-5AB8085F15A2.jpeg
C17C5EBD-DDF2-4C38-ACD8-4668E494160F.jpeg
3A44714F-DF59-4CDA-A9EB-36F04244B7EB.jpeg

Last edited:
I need to get back into fly fishing. It's been a few years for me.

I have a nice Sage 6wt rod, an Orvis 5wt, and a Reddington 4wt. While the Sage is a very nice rod, it's a very stiff action and 6wt is a little much for Colorado. So I only use that one for lakes with high wind. The Reddington I think is my favorite, despite being the cheapest of the bunch. That light 4wt and it's limp action is great for smaller Colorado streams. The Orvis is the best overall general purpose rod. You could use it for most anything, except ocean fishing.

I like the Orvis Battenkill Bar Stock reels, and that's what all my rods are equipped with now. I think it's a BBS II on the Reddington and Orvis rods, and a BBS III on the Sage, but I'd have to go look at the reels to know for sure. Don't know if Orvis still even makes that model, but it was a pretty decent middle of the road reel back in its day. With the size trout we have in Colorado (other than the lunkers found in large deep lakes), reel choice doesn't really matter. You can easily get by with a really inexpensive one. Stripping a trout in by hand is not a whole lot tougher than stripping in a fly. You don't need an expensive drag system. If you ever hear your drag system kick in, that probably means you have it set too light (when stream fishing - lakes are different).

I also have a portable fly tieing bench that I built, which hasn't been used for two decades. It's down in the basement somewhere, alongside all my other abandoned hobbies. :(

I need to get back into fly fishing. It's been a few years for me.

I have a nice Sage 6wt rod, an Orvis 5wt, and a Reddington 4wt. While the Sage is a very nice rod, it's a very stiff action and 6wt is a little much for Colorado. So I only use that one for lakes with high wind. The Reddington I think is my favorite, despite being the cheapest of the bunch. That light 4wt and it's limp action is great for smaller Colorado streams. The Orvis is the best overall general purpose rod. You could use it for most anything, except ocean fishing.

I like the Orvis Battenkill Bar Stock reels, and that's what all my rods are equipped with now. I think it's a BBS II on the Reddington and Orvis rods, and a BBS III on the Sage, but I'd have to go look at the reels to know for sure. Don't know if Orvis still even makes that model, but it was a pretty decent middle of the road reel back in its day. With the size trout we have in Colorado (other than the lunkers found in large deep lakes), reel choice doesn't really matter. You can easily get by with a really inexpensive one. Stripping a trout in by hand is not a whole lot tougher than stripping in a fly. You don't need an expensive drag system. If you ever hear your drag system kick in, that probably means you have it set too light (when stream fishing - lakes are different).

I also have a portable fly tieing bench that I built, which hasn't been used for two decades. It's down in the basement somewhere, alongside all my other abandoned hobbies. :(

I bow hunted in Colorado every year in my younger days, I always took my rod and caught trout out of the mountain ponds. I would cook trout for everyone at least one night of the trip, or creek chubs thats what the guys called them because they were so small. They were always good and a hell of a lot better than eating out of a can!

Fishing always got me out of being down in the dumps, when I was young, even if I didn't catch anything and if I did it was always a real plus, the taste of sea run cutthroat trout always seemed better than trout caught out of a stream, most of the time stream trout were freshly out of a hatchery, their meat was always white, it would take a few years of being in the stream eating bugs, small fish and eggs for them to get pink flesh and a good taste, salt water caught fish never had that problem, they always tasted good to me. Sad thing is that I haven't been fishing in such a long time, I don't know where all my fishing gear is.

Fishing always got me out of being down in the dumps, when I was young, even if I didn't catch anything and if I did it was always a real plus, the taste of sea run cutthroat trout always seemed better than trout caught out of a stream, most of the time stream trout were freshly out of a hatchery, their meat was always white, it would take a few years of being in the stream eating bugs, small fish and eggs for them to get pink flesh and a good taste, salt water caught fish never had that problem, they always tasted good to me. Sad thing is that I haven't been fishing in such a long time, I don't know where all my fishing gear is.

We rarely catch a pink meated fish, and I wont hardly eat the white meat trout. The white meated stockers taste just like the fish food smells! The trout with the pink meat are a much more colorful fish you can always tell the difference.

Well, the DW will either be thrilled or or not. The 5 wt and 6 wt fly rods are in the foyer again (it's the only place tall enough)

Gets me out of the house :). Now to find my flip magnifiers again so I see the flipping flys.

Well, the DW will either be thrilled or or not. The 5 wt and 6 wt fly rods are in the foyer again (it's the only place tall enough)

Gets me out of the house :). Now to find my flip magnifiers again so I see the flipping flys.

Isn't that the truth, I keep glasses tied to my vest or I can't see the damn line!

Latest posts

Back