Flying predators?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jessica

Friend
Neighbor
Hello everyone ! I was wondering what you use as deterrents for flying predators ? I have secured my coop to my satisfaction but during the day my two hens have full roam of the yard . I've only had them for about 7 months and with spring approaching I'm concerned about hawks mainly. I have started hanging cds around in the trees (I read the reflective light helps keep them away ) but any other tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated !

Hawk, owls, kites (small hawks) buzzards are not but they will sure clean up the mess that the others make. I only found a few feathers and 2 yellow feet from the last hen I lost.
CDs probably won't help after any preds get used to them. The only way your hens will be safe is in a coop surrounded with weld wire and with netting or chicken wire across the top.

I had crows raiding my nest boxes and eating eggs once. I bought green neon fishing line and hung it over the chicken pen with a little slack so it moved in the breeze. Large birds hate line or netting that will interfere with their wings. I had no more problems with crows or any bird predator. I do the same thing when I plant corn in the garden. When corn first starts to come up crows will walk down the row, pull up the little stalks and eat the seed. They usually don't bother other garden plants. Neon green fishing line has lots of uses. :)

Last edited:
Oh wow that's awesome ! Very doable ! Thanks for the tip!
I had crows raiding my nest boxes and eating eggs once. I bought green neon fishing line and hung it over the chicken pen with a little slack so it moved in the breeze. Large birds hate line or netting that will interfere with their wings. I had no more problems with crows or any bird predator. I do the same thing when I plant corn in the garden. When corn first starts to come up crows will walk down the row, pull up the little stalks and eat the seed. They usually don't bother other garden plants. Neon green fishing line has lots of uses. :)

Latest posts

Back