Foldable bike for emergency transportation

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angie_nrs

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I have just starting looking for a decent foldable bike to store in my trunk to use if I'm out of town. I like to stay pretty close to home, but it simply isn't always possible. I have a conference in a couple of months and it's about 2 hours away. Not only would it be nice to have a bike for some exercise while I'm there, but it could also serve as a mode of transportation if I needed to get home but the grid went dark due to an EMP. I know the chances of that happening while I am far from home are slim, but I'd still feel better knowing I could cover more miles using less calories than walking.

I'm looking at the Schwinn Loop. It's about $430 and has decent carrying capabilites. I think I'd do what the 1st reviewer on Amazon did and attach a crate to the back of the bike. Of coarse, I'd have to make sure I bring the crate with me when I travel with the bike. It sure would be nice to be able to transport my most important belongings with me and cover a good amount of miles in a much shorter period of time as opposed to walking and carrying my stuff.
1675621801572.png

Does anyone here have a foldable bike? If so, could you provide details? Pros vs. cons......

Never had a folder, but generally speaking the ergonomics look like your run of the mill city cruiser. Pedals are more or less directly under your butt, for efficient power delivery, and the handle bars look like they keep you in an upright position. Find a bike shop that has one and take it for a test ride. That's the only way to know for sure if it has the right proportions for your body, mainly arm length since those handle bars are fixed/welded to the stem.

That looks neat Caribou. I would definitely consider that if I was looking for something with a motor.

Weedy - I grew up riding a 10 speed. The only thing with those bikes is that I'm not entirely proficient in fixing them if there were gear issues or a chain slip. However, our uneven landscape makes having a several speed bike much more rider friendly. That said, I typically value simplicity over comfort so if I could find a quality fold up bike that was a single speed, I'd certainly consider it. I'd rather walk a bike up a hill than have gear issues that I didn't know how to fix.

Weedy - I grew up riding a 10 speed. The only thing with those bikes is that I'm not entirely proficient in fixing them if there were gear issues or a chain slip. However, our uneven landscape makes having a several speed bike much more rider friendly. That said, I typically value simplicity over comfort so if I could find a quality fold up bike that was a single speed, I'd certainly consider it. I'd rather walk a bike up a hill than have gear issues that I didn't know how to fix.
Considering the intended use-case, I'd go for a basic multi-speed like this. A single gear change could make a significant difference in your endurance. Recreational cyclists are usually comfortable with a pedal cadence around 60rpm. You'll naturally need to use a lower gear when going uphill to maintain the same muscle force. You'll be going slower, but your legs won't wear out. Think of it like lifting 10lbs 10 reps vs 100lbs 1rep.
Then consider you may need to do some light-duty offroading. You'll be glad you have that shifter.

It's never a bad idea to learn simple bike maintenance either. Most of the time you only need one or two tools to do every kind of road repair. And YouTube has limitless tutorials for learning all of them.

Considering the intended use-case, I'd go for a basic multi-speed like this. A single gear change could make a significant difference in your endurance. Recreational cyclists are usually comfortable with a pedal cadence around 60rpm. You'll naturally need to use a lower gear when going uphill to maintain the same muscle force. You'll be going slower, but your legs won't wear out. Think of it like lifting 10lbs 10 reps vs 100lbs 1rep.
Then consider you may need to do some light-duty offroading. You'll be glad you have that shifter.

It's never a bad idea to learn simple bike maintenance either. Most of the time you only need one or two tools to do every kind of road repair. And YouTube has limitless tutorials for learning all of them.
I learned bike maintenance on a single speed. Going to a 10 speed had a learning curve but not major. As a teen I wound up assembling bikes, wagons, etc, and my boss has me replacing broken spokes and straightening bike wheels.

Edit: If you have a bike, get a spoke wrench. Even if you don't know how to straighten a wheel or change a spoke having the right tool will make it easier for someone with the knowledge.

One of the major factors I'm seeking right now is compactness. Of coarse, I'd like something sturdy and not too expensive. It's a challenge trying to get everything I would like in one bike. The Loop has folding issues (since one of the pedals doesn't fold in) but it seems to be a pretty solid bike with decent reviews.

I have a bag that fits any bike (around the handlebars) that I can put things in such as a gun and/or a small bike repair kit. I like the rack on the back of the Loop. I have a backpack in the car at all times, but it sure would be nice to be able to cart around some extra stuff such as an extra set of clothes, water, snacks, etc. Having some extra gear could make the difference in getting home quickly.....or not.

We had a foldable that we carried in our truck while out of town working. sold it and got a foldable electric bike. Looks almost the same, it is zippy for sure and will work in a pinch, so we think. But to pedal it is a bit awkward but not bad.

I went ahead and ordered the bike. I also ordered some accessories including some tire boots to fix a tire and also some extra inner tubes. I watched some videos on how to fix a flat. I didn't even know about tire boots until I watched the video, so now I'll be prepared for a flat tube and a flat tire. I already have a small air pump so now I just have to find it.

Now I'm looking for a large waterproof bag to put on the rear rack b/c I think that would work better than a crate, both in terms of aerodynamics and also in keeping things waterproof, clean, and secure. So, I'll probably wear my backpack, have a bag on the back and also have my gun bag on the handlebars. I also have a small fix it kit that attaches under the seat. I like the idea of being able to haul a decent amount of gear if I need to.

I'll feel much better taking this bike to my conference. If it doesn't serve as a 'bug out' bike, it'll still be fun to ride around the small town for exercise. I'm familiar with the area, so safety isn't a major concern, but I'll be prepared for that anyways. If I had to use it to get home, I should be able to be home in 12 hours or so. Hopefully that won't be necessary.

I'm excited to try this bike out. I've already been thinking about where I want to ride it, now that I can pack it into my trunk and drive to trail areas. If I like it as much as I think I will, then I might have to buy one for hubby so we can both hit the trails. He doesn't really like to ride anything without a motor, but maybe I can convince him to go if I put ice and beer in the rear bag.:drink buddy:

Latest posts

Back