Food, when no food is available

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was in this redneck dump called the wooden nickel on the state line between TN and KY.
Some washer was getting his butt handed to him in pool and lost his payday and decided to take it out on me, who can't even play pool and wasn't even in the game! this was a BIG guy, and I'm 6'4"!
he'd already tenderized me and grabbed me up in a bear hug and was going to ram me into a wall full of junk, so I did the only thing I could and clamped down on his ear! When I hit the wall "CHOMP!" there wasn't no sewing that back on! He dropped me and stood there with his lip quivering and said:
"You bit my ear off...Oh, mamma is going to be so mad!" I didn't wait to hear the rest of whatever he was going to say, I grabbed up some kind of jug or a lamp and beat him in the head until it broke and split!
I should have taken the hint the first time I was in there, I saw a guy get his face bounced off a table like a basketball, the second time there was a stabbing, and that was the last time I ever went in that place, it attracted a strange crowd whose idea of fun was jumping their trucks over 6 packs, seeing how much weight they could lift with their "things" and telling stories about things that "die funny."
last place I would be going.
I dont like people at the best of times, give me animals any day.

I might know someone who knows someone who will feed a small family if someone in that family is able and willing to use force in defense of the group. Also I have dog food for a good dog or two.
I have cats. is that a deal killer?

Rough crowd there Mag
last place I would be going.
I dont like people at the best of times, give me animals any day.
I was young and dumb and just turned 19 and wanted to hang out with my buds and meet chicks.
My "BUDS" were not my buddies and those kind of chicks can stay right where they are! See Doc?
the monkey did learn to tie a knot!

My chestnut tree is young, about ten years old, it is covered with nut, anyone know the best way to eat them.

My chestnut tree is young, about ten years old, it is covered with nut, anyone know the best way to eat them.
There are chestnut trees in a park close to me and I have walked many miles in that park. I went home one day and looked up about chestnuts. Evidently there are chestnuts that are okay to eat, and chestnuts that are not good for humans to eat. If I thought those chestnuts were edible I would have collected a bunch.

"Yes, some chestnuts are edible, but others are poisonous:
Sweet chestnuts
These are edible and can be eaten raw, dried, or roasted. They are a good source of vitamins B and C, as well as minerals like magnesium, potassium, and iron. Sweet chestnuts can be used in many recipes, such as stuffing for poultry, cake fillings, and nut roasts. Some say that they taste best after aging for a couple of days, as the starch turns into sugar and they develop a sweeter flavor.
American chestnuts
These are also edible and have a crunchy, sweet taste. However, American chestnuts are self-infertile and require pollination from another tree to produce viable nuts.
Horse chestnuts
These are poisonous and can cause digestive issues like nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, and throat irritation if eaten. "

I've told about my mother and her family growing up, eating weeds that grew around their ranch. My cousin told me her dad said they would eat roots, boiled into a stew. Grandma told me they found weeds that were okay to eat like salads or greens. Mom's sister said she would never eat it again. I wish I knew what roots they ate now.

A prolific weed is kochia, also known as a tumble weed. Each plant produces thousands of seeds from their green flowers.

"Kochia leaves and growing tips are edible cooked. The plant is very salty tasting. Seeds are also a garnish called tonburi with a texture similar to caviar. In fact it is called “land caviar,” “field caviar,” and “mountain caviar.” In Japan tonburi is a delicacy. Seeds are dried, boiled then soaked in cold water for a day. They are rubbed by hand to remove the outer skin. The seeds are a glossy black-green. Plants produce about 15,000 seeds each though three times that is possible. Distribution is by… tumbling."

kochia.jpeg

Fiy

If you and me are in a shtf type of situation all food is exhausted and I am starving
Be afraid, be very afraid and keep an eye on your thigh. Just telling the truth
With out government their is no law as we understand it. The only law that applies is the instinct for survival
The law of nature, the strong prey on the weak.
I am not a cannable but I do have a strong will to survive.

I don't want to survive if I have to eat dead humans, bugs, or even my German Shepherd. If all our other animals , all the rabbits , all the deer, and all the plants that you can eat around here are gone, I think it is no longer worth it to stay alive at all
Life is not THAT great that I have to hang on to it at all cost, especially since everyone IS going to die eventually anyway

"Walk with God, You will never be lost" what part of that quote condones cannabilism....​

Some things I never ever joke about.

See the first james wesley rawles book "Patriots" to see how they delt with cannibals....I think they were to easy on them.
The Bible neither condemms nor condones cannibalism
I am not advocating for it. I am just pointing out a fact

The Bible neither condemms nor condones cannibalism
I am not advocating for it. I am just pointing out a fact
If you and me are in a shtf type of situation all food is exhausted and I am starving

The best ideal is to make sure you have a way to produce more food, not just for you to live,but for all the Generations to come after you.
That is the core of HOMESTEADING.

Zombie thread. But I'll play. ;)
Edited in the interest of thread tranquility. But it was funny. ;)

Last edited:
Evidently there is some thread straying so I will make this attempt to set it back in the right direction.
Wasn't it during the Great Depression that many folks who were poor didn't know any different because they kept on living just as they had been?
If we were to learn from history, shouldn't we aim to be food self-sufficient or only rely on a few close neighbors to meet our needs so that if/when said scenario occurs, we can keep on keeping on? I think that's why many of us are here and read these things - for ideas or gems we might be missing.

Evidently there is some thread straying so I will make this attempt to set it back in the right direction.
Wasn't it during the Great Depression that many folks who were poor didn't know any different because they kept on living just as they had been?
If we were to learn from history, shouldn't we aim to be food self-sufficient or only rely on a few close neighbors to meet our needs so that if/when said scenario occurs, we can keep on keeping on? I think that's why many of us are here and read these things - for ideas or gems we might be missing.
Yes, exactly. Though it's hard without totally dropping out, which isn't feasible for most of us. The Amish have it figured out pretty well. But not many others, unless they are like in a Kentucy hollar. You have govt and corporate intrusion into every aspect of life. And now they tell us everyone's ID was stolen, and you should lock down your credit account. Instead of saying no more private collection of personal data.

Anyway, vee vill learn to eat de bugs, and like it.

Yes, exactly. Though it's hard without totally dropping out, which isn't feasible for most of us. The Amish have it figured out pretty well. But not many others, unless they are like in a Kentucy hollar. You have govt and corporate intrusion into every aspect of life. And now they tell us everyone's ID was stolen, and you should lock down your credit account. Instead of saying no more private collection of personal data.

Anyway, vee vill learn to eat de bugs, and like it.
There needs to be an all of the above button - I agree and am mad, and it's sad.
I've seen soooo many prepping sites suggest candy, chips and other processed cr@p (sorry) be stored in preps because you will need the "comfort." I call BS on that one. We can live with far less dietary variety - not as enjoyable perhaps. Folks get cranky when you deprive them of their hohos and twinkies and $20 coffees.
As far as the data breach - no words!

Latest posts

Back