"FOREVER STAMPS" as hedge against inflation.... Postage going UP again..

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We pay our bills online. Me buying stamps will have no effect on the price of stuff sent to me.
If you purchase online, their shipping cost is included to product cost. you/we just pay postage or shipping indirectly.

I paid bills online; I stopped when one of my banks made an expensive (to me) mistake.

I bought a bunch of the Forever stamps a number of years ago. I have used very few of them. But I should have bought more because they were a GREAT investment!

I pay most bills online, but if I need to make a utility payment with cash or check I can do it at the grocery store.

If you search you can find Forever Stamps for sale at online auction houses. Back in March, an online auction house near us had ten lots of 200 Forever Stamps that sold for $70 to $75 plus 20% buyer's premium. That is 42¢ to 45¢ a piece. Below is an example.
1715782950050.png

The same auction had 10 lots of 100 Forever Stamps. They sold for $31 to $41 plus 20% buyer's premium. That works out to 37¢ to 49¢ each. An example is below. You can see that I won one of the lots. I got 100 stamps for 37¢ each.
1715783251718.png

If you check EBAY, you can get two 100-rolls of Forever Stamps for $80 delivered (40¢ per stamp). Below is a recent example.
1715783627218.png

If you purchase online, their shipping cost is included to product cost. you/we just pay postage or shipping indirectly.

I paid bills online; I stopped when one of my banks made an expensive (to me) mistake.
Yes, you pay for shipping from stuff you order. But, you buying stamps as a hedge against inflation is not going to help you by lowering the shipping costs of stuff you've ordered. It may only help you with stuff you mail.

Once upon a time, using postage stamps for "money" was very common. They had a tangible worth.
I remember that period well, 40's & 50's. Along with "HALF PENNY" Postcards.

If you search you can find Forever Stamps for sale at online auction houses. Back in March, an online auction house near us had ten lots of 200 Forever Stamps that sold for $70 to $75 plus 20% buyer's premium. That is 42¢ to 45¢ a piece. Below is an example.
View attachment 129924

The same auction had 10 lots of 100 Forever Stamps. They sold for $31 to $41 plus 20% buyer's premium. That works out to 37¢ to 49¢ each. An example is below. You can see that I won one of the lots. I got 100 stamps for 37¢ each.
View attachment 129928

If you check EBAY, you can get two 100-rolls of Forever Stamps for $80 delivered (40¢ per stamp). Below is a recent example.
View attachment 129929
I would have never thought to search flea Bay for stamps

View attachment 129924

View attachment 129928

View attachment 129929
Just be very careful. A lot of those are fake stamps. However, I don't think the PO workers or machines can distinguish between the real ones and fakes ones at this point. I have paid the full amount at our local PO. I don't want it to close and it is a small branch. That said, they haven't gotten much from me, except small packages, since 2007.

I have rolls from 2 or 3 price changes ago. And we don't use many stamps any longer. But I am gonna buy 2 more rolls for down the road
We use two (2) stamps per month.
I buy one book of 25 stamps from the grocery store and we are good for a year :).
Math question: If I tie up $70 in stamps, how many years would it take for me to save $5 ? :dunno:
Edit, details:
Apr 9, 2024 · The new rates include a 5-cent increase in the price of a First-Class Mail Forever stamp from 68 cents to 73 cents.

Last edited:
Just be very careful. A lot of those are fake stamps. However, I don't think the PO workers or machines can distinguish between the real ones and fakes ones at this point. I have paid the full amount at our local PO. I don't want it to close and it is a small branch. That said, they haven't gotten much from me, except small packages, since 2007.
Yes, I see a lot of Forever Stamp ads on Facebook. The prices are ridiculously low. I am sure they are counterfeit.

We use two (2) stamps per month.
I buy one book of 25 stamps from the grocery store and we are good for a year :).
Math question: If I tie up $70 in stamps, how many years would it take for me to save $5 ? :dunno:
Edit, details:

That depends on whether you need that $70 for something else. Like eating that can of corn you bought five years ago, you are eating pre-inflation dollars which means more food per dollar. That same money in the bank would be loosing 15% or so, these days.

Latest posts

Back