Four Black Bear Pelts

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sourdough

"Eleutheromaniac"
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
In a cabin, on a mountain, in "Wilderness" Alaska.
1665467426334.png

Yours?
What did you get them with?
No, not mine. I did not harvest them. Just wanted to show the different colors.

No, not mine. I did not harvest them. Just wanted to show the different colors.
That silver one would look good stitched to the collar and shoulders of my leather jacket.

Those are some pretty pelts.

I am not the best with colors, but as a kid we only saw black ones back in the Appalachian mountains as best I recall. In Alaska I was surprised to see more variation in color. The first time I saw a black bear in the dark brown color on the right confused the heck out of me. I’ve never seen one anywhere close to the dirty white one second to the right. I’ve seen some interior brown bears with some color variation as well. We have a lot of lynx and they too can have significant variation in pelt color.

The far left "Blond" color I have never seen one, I did not even know that coloration existed.
The third from the left is "Glacier" Black Bear, I have never seen one that coloration either. I have seen two "Glacier" Black Bears, and both were deep Blue almost purple colored.
I guess in some locations the "Cinnamon" or often called Brown colored Black Bear (on the far right) is common; however, I have only ever seen two, one in Alaska on Mankur Creek, the other in Canada along the Alcan Highway.

Location, location, location..... This seems an important fact of what variations of coats you will see on black bears.. A given location will likely have terrain boundaries that keep some traits active in a given gene pool.. Depending on the area, there can be multiple territorial gene pools..

Along with the variations shown there can be a some what pie bald variation that isn't really a pie bald, but I can't remember the term now..

In our local bush we see mostly black coats, with a very few cinnamon coats.. However we do see a lot of bib, chest and belly white stripes that can run from dirty yellow to snow white in color..

In our local bush we see mostly black coats, with a very few cinnamon coats.. However we do see a lot of bib, chest and belly white stripes that can run from dirty yellow to snow white in color..
That is exactly what I have here in my area. An interesting (and strange) note is that all the bears in the photo were harvested in the same area, maybe the same bay.

Latest posts

Back