"Free" seeds from GoingToSeed.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

INresponse

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I saw this place mentioned on another forum. The guy who runs the place is a member of that forum. The basic premise is that they give away seeds for various produce items which were collected from the previous years crop from the first and best veggies of the crop, hopefully ensuring to pass on the hardy and fast growing traits. You do pay I think $4.95 for postage, and if you want you can make a small donation but that isn't required, and they ask you to collect the seeds from your first and best produce to send back to them so they can keep improving their stock. They suggest just planting the seeds and watering them, using no or minimal extras so as to get good, naturally grown produce to ensure the best of the best natural growth. Some will grow well, some will be OK, some wont grow. Survival of the fittest. Natural cross pollination will keep "improving" each years seeds and make them stronger.
https://goingtoseed.org/pages/our-approach
On their website, "60% of commercially available seeds are distributed by four multinational chemical companies. These seeds, often produced under intensively sprayed and fertilized production systems, are generally unsuited to the gardens and farms where they will end up growing. When faced with adversity – whether it’s a short season, non-ideal temperatures, pressure from weeds, pests, and disease, or low soil fertility – many of these varieties fail to thrive."
I don't know the true accuracy of that info but I know I have had pathetic results from store bought seeds and store bought potted plants. The only success I had was from a few tomato seeds that the chickens missed (or pooped out) and got pushed just outside their fenced enclosure and grew from seed, we didn't plant them and they were the fastest growing and most producing plants I ever saw. Store bought seeds and plants planted in the same area did lousy in comparison. Sadly I didn't collect those seeds.

Just thought I would share, I am giving them a try. I can't do any worse and hopefully I can actually get something out of my garden this year. The soil around here is terrible, except by the chicken enclosure. :cool: If interested you might want to place your order sooner than later, many of the items are already sold out.

I don;t believe this seed program is involved, but there is a new seed hacker website, just trying to get your information.
https://www.engagebay.com/blog/email-seed-testing/
Thanks for the heads up. On the other forum someone had posted to ask about GoneToSeed and I think the 3rd or 4th reply was from the owner of GoneToSeed. A few people commented they had bought from him before and because of those responses, and his connection with that forum, I felt comfortable ordering from him.

Thank you! I ordered potato seeds, not potato starts like I usually plant. I also made a small donation to this project.
Yay. But now you have me sad because I didn't order potatoes. But although I wouldn't have minded I didn't get them because the others here may not be interested in eating the blue or other colored potatoes. I know some may come out yellow but I chose to pass. Maybe I made a mistake.

Yay. But now you have me sad because I didn't order potatoes. But although I wouldn't have minded I didn't get them because the others here may not be interested in eating the blue or other colored potatoes. I know some may come out yellow but I chose to pass. Maybe I made a mistake.
When I get the seeds, I am more than willing to share some with you. They still have some available. There are about 200 seeds per packet.

In my whole life I have never seen potatoes grown from seeds, only from seed potatoes. I will consider it an experiment. I recently saw that there is a project going on to grow potatoes with no eyes. That means we could be limited from growing potatoes in our gardens.

Last edited:
When I get the seeds, I am more than willing to share some with you. They still have some available. There are about 200 seeds per packet.

In my whole life I have never seen potatoes grown from seeds, only from seed potatoes. I will consider it an experiment. I recently saw that there is a project going on to grow potatoes with no eyes. That means we could be limited from growing potatoes in our gardens.
They could potentially be 200 different varieties.

Ben

Ben
I like that idea! And then when they are harvested, it would be great to keep them separate and to try to keep one of each for planting next year.

From the site about the potato seeds: "Growing potatoes from true seeds is a worthy challenge for any potato lover, because you will find colors, shapes, and flavors normally only available in the Andes. This year seed contributions were heavier purple colors, but look for purple, pink, dark yellow. Shapes will vary from odd-shaped fingerlings, to medium sized. Original genetics are heavily influenced by Cultivariables' Azul Toro and Gunter Blue. While it is common to get small yields and 'micro potatoes' when growing from true seeds, you may be surprised to harvest several pounds per plant (especially in cool summer climates).

Packet contains over 200 seeds."

potato flowers.JPG
potato varieties.JPG

I looked at the photos for the seeds and the potato plants had a lot of blue and purple flowers, but there were some yellow flowers as well. My daughter had a friend growing up who were mostly vegetarians. When she ate at their house once, they had purple potatoes and she loved them. All these years later she talks about how good those potatoes were. I don't think she has ever met a potato she didn't like.

Ben
Re: true potato seeds (TPS)

Being unique cultivars, we can't predict what kind of spuds they will produce. Some would point out they could be "toxic". How and if harmful is a bit an old wife's tale. "Toxic" could run from deadly to just bitter.

I will be growing TPS for the first time this year. My plan is ro keep each variety separate and sample each version with a small slice to check if bitter and place between my cheek and gum. If it burns they are compost fodder.

Ben

Last edited:
I like that idea! And then when they are harvested, it would be great to keep them separate and to try to keep one of each for planting next year.

From the site about the potato seeds: "Growing potatoes from true seeds is a worthy challenge for any potato lover, because you will find colors, shapes, and flavors normally only available in the Andes. This year seed contributions were heavier purple colors, but look for purple, pink, dark yellow. Shapes will vary from odd-shaped fingerlings, to medium sized. Original genetics are heavily influenced by Cultivariables' Azul Toro and Gunter Blue. While it is common to get small yields and 'micro potatoes' when growing from true seeds, you may be surprised to harvest several pounds per plant (especially in cool summer climates).

Packet contains over 200 seeds."

View attachment 124078View attachment 124079

I looked at the photos for the seeds and the potato plants had a lot of blue and purple flowers, but there were some yellow flowers as well. My daughter had a friend growing up who were mostly vegetarians. When she ate at their house once, they had purple potatoes and she loved them. All these years later she talks about how good those potatoes were. I don't think she has ever met a potato she didn't like.
I grow Purple Vikings as my favorite. The Princess prefers German Butterballs.

Ben

That was my thoughts. Just keep pulling the largest, or whatever selection (taste, color, size, etc) for what you want each year.
Thank you for this tip. Where do you think is the best place to store these potatoes that I want for seed potatoes? In the basement? My kitchen is the coolest room in my house so that is a possibility.

The coolest, darkest area you have. I use our basement. But its typically so dry stuff starts dehydrating before we use it all.

About selecting what you want to use for seed stock. Figure out what traits are most important to you, then go for those. It may take some years to nail down exactly what fits best. Sometimes the first shot hits it

I have a really big spare fridge. The two lowest shelves hold my seed potatoes. I keep them in paper bags. They stay in good condition without sprouting until I need them.
I have this nagging idea that apples and potatoes don't store well together. Something about a gas the apples produce???

Ben

Right after I ordered the seeds I asked GoneToSeed if I should plant my heirloom seeds in another part of the yard so they would be less likely to cross pollinate. (assuming I have luck getting the heirloom seeds to grow) Here is the email I received.....
"Great question. I recommend planting them alongside any heirloom or open pollinated seeds you may already be growing. I'd be cautious about planting any F1 hybrids -- those can be patented or introduce unwanted sterility traits into your saved seeds.
If you're not already familiar with the Adaptation Gardening approach, I highly recommend taking the free course on our website, or reading Joseph Lofthouse's book, Landrace Gardening. It'll change the way you think about growing food!"

Just thought I would share.

"Great question. I recommend planting them alongside any heirloom or open pollinated seeds you may already be growing. I'd be cautious about planting any F1 hybrids -- those can be patented or introduce unwanted sterility traits into your saved seeds.
If you're not already familiar with the Adaptation Gardening approach, I highly recommend taking the free course on our website, or reading Joseph Lofthouse's book, Landrace Gardening. It'll change the way you think about growing food!"

==
Remember... I am the definition of ..black thumb...
However.. If I get this right they are saying it is OK to plant things side by side to produce this years crop, but be cautious about trying to save future seeds from this possible combinations ??

==
So if you want to save seeds it will be the best idea to keep your heirloom plants quite separated ??

==
However.. If I get this right they are saying it is OK to plant things side by side to produce this years crop, but be cautious about trying to save future seeds from this possible combinations ??

==
So if you want to save seeds it will be the best idea to keep your heirloom plants quite separated ??
Yup

The fruit is determined by plant but the seed is a result of the cross.

Ben

==

==
Right after I ordered the seeds I asked GoneToSeed if I should plant my heirloom seeds in another part of the yard so they would be less likely to cross pollinate. (assuming I have luck getting the heirloom seeds to grow) Here is the email I received.....
"Great question. I recommend planting them alongside any heirloom or open pollinated seeds you may already be growing.
The suggestion is that it is OK to plant along other heirloom seeds or seeds collected from open pollinated heirloom plants.
I'd be cautious about planting any F1 hybrids -- those can be patented or introduce unwanted sterility traits into your saved seeds.

The concern is that if you plant these next to GMO or commercially created hybrids those modified genes will probably create future problems in the off springs. Sooo, the "good" seeds they are providing could/would take a step back when the harvested seeds are replanted the next season.

Think of topping off a glass of distilled water with some muddy water out of a puddle. All the effort to make the clean water will be lost when adding crud into the good stuff.

Latest posts

Back