Freeze dryer/drying

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
rural western Canada the other side of the mountai
If there is a thread for this, I can't find it.

I am considering a freeze dryer. Considering the stupid high prices here, I may have my bil ship 2 from China for less then what one costs here. One could end up as spare parts if absolutely necessary.

Questions:

Can whole raw steaks be freeze dried? I don't want to cube them into stew meat. I would like to hear real world experiences of freeze drying these items and constituting them if any of you have tried it and your guesses for shelf life. It's all very lean grass fed beef.

If I fork out for a freeze dryer, I need to be able to deal with meat and keep it as au natural as possible.

Last edited:
We have had our freeze drier for just a tad over six years now. It was an expensive purchase, but has been a very worthwhile purchase as well.

As far as fd steaks, they would need to be trimmed of as much fat as possible, the fat can still go rancid after freeze drying. They would also need to be cut thin. Generally, it is recommended that the pieces of food not be thicker than 3/8". This is to make sure that the moisture in the center of the meat is sublimated out.

I haven't done steaks, but have done plenty of both cooked and raw hamburger patties. Both have come out with decent results. To reconstitute them, I take the number of patties I wanted to use out the night before. These were then placed in a pyrex dish with a lid and beef broth was added until they were covered by at least 1/4". Then they went into the fridge overnight. The next day, they had absorbed all the broth that they could and I could either cook them from raw, or heat them up and use them. The cooked patties did have a little more chew to them than the uncooked, but it wasn't anymore than you would notice from a drive through burger.

Freeze driers are awesome for meat though. They may not be the best for steaks, but ground beef, chicken, turkey and pork all come out great in them. We cook the ground meat, rinse it in water to wash away as much grease as possible, then put it back in the pan and season it for whatever it is intended to be used for, eg. taco meat, italian or breakfast sausage, etc. Then let it cool to room temp, into the trays and roughly 40 hours later it is dry and can be stored away.

A couple of buddies that do some sublet work for me now buy their hunting meals from me instead of commercially made ones. This was after trying my hunting meals during an antelope hunt. What started as me just making the meals and freeze drying them has turned into them making the things they want to eat and bringing it to me, and then I freeze dry and package it for them, for a nominal fee of course.

I can't speak to the chinese made freeze driers at all, but I can speak for the Harvest Right ones. The model we have is their second generation one, what is considered medium size now, with the screen below and to the right of the drum. I have had almost no issues with it, I attribute a lot of that to not messing around with the thing and just letting it do the job how it was made to do it. I see a lot of people on other sites complaining about all the problems they have with theirs, but most of them to seem to have not a)read the users manual and followed it and b)try to mess with too many settings instead of letting the machine do its job. My suggestion is that if you can find a used second generation, it would be worth purchasing. You can buy the vacuum pumps and rebuild kits from zoro for a very economical price also. I have two pumps, I rotate them out and rebuild them once a year. The nice thing is that if I have a pump fail, I can simply swap it out for the rebuilt pump and I'm still in business. I have no idea about the new pumps that HR has released themselves, if they are rebuildable or not.

Hope this helps.

I too have one probably going on 3 yrs now.
hubby makes a ton of steak tips, rice and mushrooms and I fd it for him for quick meals for the year. I dont put them in mylar, just vacuum seal them in jars and they are great. But like Buffalo stated, fat is your enemy.
i do chicken and ground meat. Never did hamburgers.
i use it for almost everything in the garden. We still can green beans, we just dont like them fd. It is well worth the investment imho.
i would look around for a used one. A good many people bought it, wanted to fd enough for stock piles and then thats it.

Freeze dryers are just beginning to be sold here, and there are not many takers because of the price. Second hand isn't looking like a option.

They are so expensive, that I am not entirely sure it's good thing to buy from a cost effective point of view.

What size do you all have and recommend? Is a large hard to fill with stuff? I won't be doing treat kind of stuff, just basic foods like meat, fruit and veggies. I have nine large freezers, dehydrated and canned stuff. I need to go another route and try to reduce some of that down.

Last edited:
I have a large sized Harvest Right that I got last summer. We had a problem with it, but it's fine now. I do meat alot, but haven't done steaks. Meatloaf slices turned out well. Have been doing bone broth the last few days, and that's worked well.
Do you find your freeze dryer to be energy efficient? I am going to buy one here probably this month myself and the Harvest Right is the one I have chosen also. I value your opinion.

Freeze dryers are just beginning to be sold here, and there are not many takers because of the price. Second hand isn't looking like a option.

They are so expensive, that I am not entirely sure it's good thing to buy from a cost effective point of view.

What size do you all have and recommend? Is a large hard to fill with stuff? I won't be doing treat kind of stuff, just basic foods like meat, fruit and veggies. I have nine large freezers, dehydrated and canned stuff. I need to go another route and try to reduce some of that down.
When we purchased ours, there was only one size option, which they now consider a medium size. Now Harvest Right sells Large, Medium and Small units. From your description, a large may be advantageous for you. A medium is roughly 1/5 smaller than the large size. If you look at a freeze drier in terms of a long term investment, both in equipment but also in terms of being able to preserve food without additional electricity for long term. With 9 freezers, I am sure you are using a fair amount of juice every day to keep them going, we have 2 deep freezes and an upright and I know they add $20 to $30 to our electric bill each month.

When drying even the wettest of foods, a freeze drier may take 2 to 3 days to complete, but that is $2-4 in energy used up front, then none after that.
Are you cooking the meat first and can whole chicken breasts ect be done without slicing? I have six hundred lbs of chicken parts and the thought of precooking all of it in some form or other, is making me feel really lazy. Then there is all the rest of it. I need a shove.
You can do it either way, either raw or cooked. We do both. There are times when it is more convenient to dry ingredients raw and other times where we it is just as easy to do it cooked, usually because we are already cooking that food for supper, so we will just double or triple the batch. As far as the chicken breasts go, they can't be too thick. 10mm or 3/8 inch is the thickest that HR recommends, so if they are no thicker than that, then you don't have to slice them, but if they are thicker, you'll have to, as they won't dry completely if they are too thick.
Do you find your freeze dryer to be energy efficient? I am going to buy one here probably this month myself and the Harvest Right is the one I have chosen also. I value your opinion.
From my experience, they are not terribly inefficient. You can cut down on cycle time by prefreezing your food on the trays, which will help reduce the amount of power the freeze drier uses. I am in agreement with @Amish Heart it comes out to roughly $1 a day. One thing I do try to do as well is use the freeze drier more in the winter time, as ours in a storage area of the house that we keep minimally climate controlled. By running the machine in the cooler temps during the winter, it runs more efficiently and doesn't take as long to complete a cycle compared to during the warmer months. Granted, when the harvest is ready in the garden, there is no waiting for cooler weather to dry it, but on some things we try and wait until the cooler months to do so.

I keep my freezers in a room kept at 2-4° C. during the winter and the room stays around 15° C during the summer. They don't run much at all and the freeze dryer would be in the same room. I would have to run a dedicated 20amp circuit to it, though.

I sure don't like the idea of slicing meat thin. Goes against the grain big time. Looks like steaks, chicken breasts and porkchops will stay in the freezer.

Amish, about that bone broth.

I would have thought the gelatin in it would have been an issue. Also the high water content. If you freeze dry a quart of it, what are you left with?

I have a medium and large harvest right. The medium I dropped down a flight of stairs going into my basement and I thought it was ruined so I bought the large size. Turns out the medium was just dented and after straightening the cabinent and readjusting the door it works fine.
I also use napa brand high vacuum vacuum pump oil. It is used in the automotive industry with vacuum pumps that evacuate the air conditioning systems on cars.

Lately I have been doing enchilada sauce, rather thin commercial chicken soup (home made chunky soup is better) and even apple sauce. We have aloe vera plants growing year round inside so I have also been FDing aloe as a medicine.

We have a small flock of chickens and i have been doing scrambled eggs 100 at a time.
We have a need for high protien low calorie chocolate drink so I have been FDing gallons of it one quart at a time. (one quart per tray).
Rotisery chickens are $4.99@ so every so often I run a load of those.
This winter I have been converting some our freezer and shelf stored food into FD so they will keep longer, not be dependant on electricity and for the canned or bottled food I can store them in sub zero temps without fear of breakage. Plus it is a lot easyer to move FD food as far as weight and bulk.

One good investment also is a vacuum packer to suck the air out so your O2 absorbers can work.

So if the electricity goes off and stays off? The FD has been worth it for the year I have been running it I have stocked enough LT food to have a chance of surviving and thriving till things settle down. Plus right now we are eating better on trips and lunches away from home. I picked up several sizes of mylar bags and each run put some in individual serving sized bags as well as larger bags.

Montanabill, you are doing a great job of getting me over pre-buyers remorse. I have thought all these things but in terms of.. is it a want or a need?

This puppy will cost me $6000.Can. when all is said and done. It is not something to take lightly. The decision will be made this week.

I also like the clarification on the vacuum pump oil. We have gallon jugs of the same stuff for the air compressor already. I also use it for my vacuum chamber packer.

Running two i have had the notice come on the screen that it may take longer since the room temp is high. So I am setting them up in a small bedroom which already has a sink and rerfrigerator from being a small apartment that we have used as a house share in the past . On this room I am going to make a exhaust fan and air intake on the shady side of the house. Plus probably a in window air conditioner for those really hot days when the garden needs processing.
I offer my advice on using the vacuum oil as personal experience only, Harvest Right states you should only use their oil..
I am filling a 5 gallon water container with my used oill right now so if I really need to filter and reuse it later I will still have it. I just run some batches and then change the oil.

i also don;t change the settings. As long as I slice and chop things everything seems to come out fine. I also defrost mine with a portable fan on a pole. After doing wet stuff the frost build up is quite a lot and the two hour defrost cycle on the machine won't melt it all. I just open the door and point the fan in and let it run till all the ice is gone.

How noisy are these things?
they have a fan on the refrigeration unit and it runs quite a bit during the cycle so to me they generate a noticeable amount of background noise. I would not have them in a room i was trying to carry on a conversation in. i have ours in the lower level of our old house and we can't hear it upstairs or from other rooms downstairs if the room doors are closed.

Doesn't yours have a defrost button, Montanabill? I defrost after each run. Have a bucket on a step stool that it runs in to. I dump it after a few runs. It only gets kinda warm where mine runs when I also run the dehumidifier and the Excaliburs. Today I'm running both. Had alot of green onions to dehydrate. Our sturdiest table is up kind of high. And it sits on that, and it's pretty heavy. If I found a sturdy lower table, that would of been preferable. Too heavy for me to lift alone.

I lucked out at a yard sale before I even thought of buying freeze driers. A guy had some heavy duty end tables made from 4X4s and pallets. They are just the right heighth and hold the FDers without a problem.
When I am doing wet things like the low cal chocolate drink the frost builds up a lot and even after two hours of defrost which is the heaters under the trays I still have ice. So I figure a cheap fan which gets the job done and not my tray heaters which are neccesary for the FD process.

So Clem are you wanting to turn things into powder or worried it will become powder when you process it in the vacuum chamber? Many things I freeze dry that don't have internal structure like boroccli tend to become very crispy and I can turn things like raw eggs into a powder easily.

So Clem are you wanting to turn things into powder or worried it will become powder when you process it in the vacuum chamber? Many things I freeze dry that don't have internal structure like boroccli tend to become very crispy and I can turn things like raw eggs into a powder easily.
I am worried some things will turn into powder under pressure, like chopped tomatoes and broccoli, cauliflower ect. I have been watching too many videos and some of them are sketchy.

I have the capability to loosely vacuum pack, but that would require too many of the of the o2 absorbers. Prices for stuff like that are a killer here. I don't want everything to turn into pablum or snack food.

It looks like storage is going to be a problem.

I could use up my canning jars, but they take a lot of space and the lids won't do well in the hidey hole. I also need to keep my options open.

I am worried some things will turn into powder under pressure, like chopped tomatoes and broccoli, cauliflower ect. I have been watching too many videos and some of them are sketchy.

I have the capability to loosely vacuum pack, but that would require too many of the of the o2 absorbers. Prices for stuff like that are a killer here. I don't want everything to turn into pablum or snack food.

I could use up my canning jars, but they take a lot of space and the lids won't do well in the hidey hole. I also need to keep my options open.
The only things that got wierd so far is yogurt which is so dry if you take a small bite before reconstituting it sucks all the moisture out of your mouth.
I have a vac and seal do dad that sucks the bas in pretty tight and then after sealing the O2 absorbers shrink the bag some more. Luckily a discount big box food store locally sells the O2 absorers. I have also heard of people usin hand warmer packets for packaging.
We are more concerned with having some good protien and preserved vegies in the future hard times. I really don't expect things to be exactly the same when hydrated. A big pot of soup will taste mighty good and feed a lot of people.

Jars do seem to be the way to go for some stuff but a six pack of 2 qrt jars is up to $30.00 + tax and you really have to scrounge to find them. Quart jars are $20.00. I sure wish there was a way to seal gallon jars.

Oh well, I guess it's a good problem to have. I did buy a brake bleeder so that I can seal jars without electricity.

I think I will order the freeze dryer today and get on with things. It's the mass quantities that have me sweating.

The price of accessories is crazy as well, but those I can make for myself for pennies. They want $500.00 for a set of stainless steel adjustable tray dividers. I can buy a sheet of stainless steel for under $50.00 and cut it up with my air compressor snips. Are tray dividers even all that useful?

I vaccum seal mine in individual bags to use. Canning jars are too precious for me to use on freeze dried items. And yes, it would take up too much room. I have a room dedicated for canned goods already.

Latest posts

Back