Fringe Tree

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peanut

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Took friends plant hunting with me today. I found Grancy Graybeard, a wild native species, aka Chionanthus virginicus aka Fringe Tree. It is commonly used as a lawn ornamental here in the south, beautiful while in bloom. It's more or less a large shrub. This one was about 10ft tall.

In the wild it's common near lookout mtn, sand mtn and in bankhead national forest, the northern part of the state. I've seen it many times there. But i have never seen it growing wild locally. Not once until today!!! Love it when i find something new! 😍

It's a very medicinal plant, mostly used for liver and gallbladder issues. In the 1800’s Eclectic doctors used it as a specific treatment for jaundice. It's also used to treat diabetes mellitus. I don't use it because it doesn't grow close to me. Still, it's a good tree to know... oh... the root bark is the part used to make tincture or a tea. It's extremely bitter, so be prepared for that.

20240420_Graybeard 302a.jpg
20240420_Graybeard 313a.jpg

Last edited:
Took friends plant hunting with me today. I found Grancy Graybeard, a wild native species, aka Chionanthus virginicus aka Fringe Tree. It is commonly used as a lawn ornamental here in the south, beautiful while in bloom. It's more or less a large shrub. This one was about 10ft tall.

In the wild it's common near lookout mtn, sand mtn and in bankhead national forest, the northern part of the state. I've seen it many times there. But i have never seen it growing wild locally. Not once until today!!! Love it when i find something new! 😍

It's a very medicinal plant, mostly used for liver and gallbladder issues. In the 1800’s Eclectic doctors used it as a specific treatment for jaundice. It's also used to treat diabetes mellitus. I don't use it because it doesn't grow close to me. Still, it's a good tree to know... oh... the root bark is the part used to make tincture or a tea. It's extremely bitter, so be prepared for that.

View attachment 128515View attachment 128516
Fascinating blossom also. I’ve never seen that.

I saw a small single trunk tree in Ga. maybe 15 or more feet tall, in full bloom.
I did not know it would get that tall, all I have seen in 55 year are 4-6 feet shrubs.
we were going about 60 miles an hour & I spotted it before we got to it & watch it until we were out of sight, no I was not driving.

I saw a small single trunk tree in Ga. maybe 15 or more feet tall, in full bloom.
I did not know it would get that tall, all I have seen in 55 year are 4-6 feet shrubs.
we were going about 60 miles an hour & I spotted it before we got to it & watch it until we were out of sight, no I was not driving.

I've never seen one that tall either. I've only seen a few tall as 10/12ft. The vast majority i see are in someones lawn, around here they get pruned at 6ft. A little smaller than the one in post #3.

I prefer blooms growing wild though. Think graybeard, azalea, sweet shrub etc, look far better in the woods. The100's of ornamental varieties I see in towns are nice, some beautiful, even shocking. But i'd rather see them untouched by man.

I've never seen one that tall either. I've only seen a few tall as 10/12ft. The vast majority i see are in someones lawn, around here they get pruned at 6ft. A little smaller than the one in post #3.

I prefer blooms growing wild though. Think graybeard, azalea, sweet shrub etc, look far better in the woods. The100's of ornamental varieties I see in towns are nice, some beautiful, even shocking. But i'd rather see them untouched by man.
I was moving at sixty miles an hour, but it looked like the height of a full grown Dog wood & covered with bloom, like snow.

Back