From coleslaw to summer salads😀

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had never heard of suddenly salads before. I looked to see the definition. Use the box mix and add some things from the garden? Or the fridge, as you said, Pearl?
161af17e-441f-4fc8-83be-00df14d31be2.af3aca12fb7eb9842a6e9a6f96b8a817.png

You boil the pasta, drain, add the seasoning pack with a spoon of olive oil and water and viola!
You can add whatever you've got. Some chopped canned ham and dehydrated veg do nicely in it for lunch, in case things go south and you've got no groceries

Have you heard of Hawaiian Macaroni Salad? I had it at one of my cousins a few years ago. She used to get it from a deli close to her work in Oregon. There are many variations of the recipe out there. The recipe she used had chicken in it. Not all of the Hawaiian macaroni salad recipes have chicken and there are many variations on this recipe.

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/hawaiian-chicken-macaroni-salad/

https://sadaalmarifa.com/loaded-broccoli-and-cauliflower-salad/
Loaded Broccoli and Cauliflower Salad

Ingredients .
Dressing|.
3/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup clover honey
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon of granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon of salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
Salad.
4 cups baby broccoli florets, diced
4 cups small cauliflower florets, diced
12 slices thick-cut bacon, cooked and diced
8 ounces Colby-Jack cheese, diced
1/2 medium red onion, chopped and rinsed

Instructions
take a medium bowl and whisk together all dressing ingredients.
Cover and refrigerate.
mix all salad ingredients in a bowl’s salad
add the dressing over the salad and mix it well.
Garnish with additional bacon and serve immediately.

https://sadaalmarifa.com/caprese-salad/
Caprese salad
Ingredients / for 2 people
3 beautiful tomatoes
1 ball of mozzarella di bufala
2 or 3 basil leaves
6 tablespoons of olive oil
1 teaspoon of balsamic vinegar
fleur de sel (salt), pepper

PREPARATION
1. Slice the tomatoes and mozzarella and arrange them alternately on a plate. Season the salad with fleur de sel (salt) and pepper.
2. Cut the basil leaves into thin strips and scatter them over the salad.
To finish
In a bowl, mix the olive oil and balsamic vinegar well, then spread this mixture on your salad.

https://sadaalmarifa.com/caprese-salad/
Caprese salad
Ingredients / for 2 people
3 beautiful tomatoes
1 ball of mozzarella di bufala
2 or 3 basil leaves
6 tablespoons of olive oil
1 teaspoon of balsamic vinegar
fleur de sel (salt), pepper

PREPARATION
1. Slice the tomatoes and mozzarella and arrange them alternately on a plate. Season the salad with fleur de sel (salt) and pepper.
2. Cut the basil leaves into thin strips and scatter them over the salad.
To finish
In a bowl, mix the olive oil and balsamic vinegar well, then spread this mixture on your salad.
This is my favorite. I make this every day when I have those beautiful heirloom tomatoes from my garden!

This is a favorite salad of mine, and I have a couple things that I add sometimes, pomegranate and avocado.

https://showmetheyummy.com/pear-blue-cheese-candied-pecan-salad/
Pear and Blue Cheese Salad with Candied Pecans

This Pear and Blue Cheese Salad with Candied Pecans is everything you could ask for in a salad. Crispy romaine paired perfectly with fresh, juicy pear, creamy blue cheese, sweet and crunchy pecans, and a fresh, tangy red wine vinaigrette dressing.

Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time5 mins
Total Time15 mins

Course: Salad
Cuisine: American
Keyword: easy, healthy, winter

Servings: 4 people

Calories: 473kcal

Author: Jennifer Debth

Scale
Ingredients
Salad
Instructions
  • I don't list specific measurements, because I typically serve this "serve yourself" style. Whip up a batch of candied pecans and red wine vinaigrette then set out some chopped romaine, chopped pears, and crumbled blue cheese. Let people build their own salad in a bowl!
  • Take 5 seconds to rate this recipe below. We greatly appreciate it!
Notes
Sliced avocado is another great addition to this salad!

To make vegan, just leave off the cheese!
Nutrition
Calories: 473kcal | Carbohydrates: 33g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 36g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Cholesterol: 26mg | Sodium: 833mg | Potassium: 364mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 24g | Vitamin A: 6492IU | Vitamin C: 7mg | Calcium: 232mg | Iron: 1mg

When I was a little girl - back in the dark ages - Mom used to make a cauliflower salad with walnuts and blue cheese. Mom didn't measure anything and as she got older didn't write recipes down. I don't know what else was in this salad, I don't think there were many ingredients, but I don't know what the dressing was. It was a creamy dressing. I can approximate this salad, but I am not sure I have it exactly right. Everything was cut rather fine, but not chopped.

Has anyone heard of this salad? I have exhausted the internet searching for it. I guess it could have been a local, church supper dish since we lived in a cauliflower growing area and some of the ladies were cauliflower farmers.

I would appreciate any recipes.

When I was a little girl - back in the dark ages - Mom used to make a cauliflower salad with walnuts and blue cheese. Mom didn't measure anything and as she got older didn't write recipes down. I don't know what else was in this salad, I don't think there were many ingredients, but I don't know what the dressing was. It was a creamy dressing. I can approximate this salad, but I am not sure I have it exactly right. Everything was cut rather fine, but not chopped.

Has anyone heard of this salad? I have exhausted the internet searching for it. I guess it could have been a local, church supper dish since we lived in a cauliflower growing area and some of the ladies were cauliflower farmers.

I would appreciate any recipes.
I'm the same way with those type of salad recipes, I just guestimate. A little different every time! I'm curious if anyone has the recipie you are looking for. Have you tried to recreate it?

Tri-Color Pasta Salad

Ingredients
1 (16 ounce) package Tri-colored pasta
(sometimes I use two packages)
3 medium carrots, shredded
1/2 cup diced celery
1 large green pepper, chopped
(I use about a cup of diced red,
yellow, and green peppers)
1 medium red onion, chopped
2 cups mayonnaise
1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed
milk (Eaglebrand)
1 cup sugar
1 cup white vinegar
(cider vinegar works, too)
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
Directions
Cook pasta according to package

directions; drain and rinse in cold water.

In a large serving bowl, combine the pasta,

carrots, green pepper and onion.
In a small bowl, whisk the mayonnaise,

milk, sugar, vinegar, salt and pepper until

smooth. Pour over pasta mixture and toss

to coat. Cover and refrigerate overnight.

Tri-Color Pasta Salad

Ingredients
1 (16 ounce) package Tri-colored pasta
(sometimes I use two packages)
3 medium carrots, shredded
1/2 cup diced celery
1 large green pepper, chopped
(I use about a cup of diced red,
yellow, and green peppers)
1 medium red onion, chopped
2 cups mayonnaise
1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed
milk (Eaglebrand)
1 cup sugar
1 cup white vinegar
(cider vinegar works, too)
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
Directions
Cook pasta according to package

directions; drain and rinse in cold water.

In a large serving bowl, combine the pasta,

carrots, green pepper and onion.
In a small bowl, whisk the mayonnaise,

milk, sugar, vinegar, salt and pepper until

smooth. Pour over pasta mixture and toss

to coat. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
Thank you for this recipe! It sounds good and I will have to try it.
On the last day of school, every school year, we had a pot luck. School was often just a half day, so children were put on buses and dismissed, and as our classes were all gone, we went to start the potluck. One year, I took a lovely green salad. I was the last person to have a student to dismiss. My assistant came and asked if she could get my salad and take it to the potluck. Sure. When I got to the potluck, my salad was all gone, but there were about half a dozen colored pasta salads and corn chips. Somehow, these salads did not have vegetables, but were mostly pasta. Not one of them was good.

Since then, I have had this salad and it was excellent. I have no idea what happened that day when all those pasta salads were just gross, at least to me. Perhaps they all used the same recipe. They were missing all the good veggies which make a salad like this delicious.

Last edited:
I'm the same way with those type of salad recipes, I just guestimate. A little different every time! I'm curious if anyone has the recipie you are looking for. Have you tried to recreate it?
I cook by feel most of the time, but I can't remember what all went into this salad. I have tried making it and it has come close. It just isn't quite the way I remember it. Of course it was a long time ago and my memory might be less than perfect...:confused:

This is my favorite. I make this every day when I have those beautiful heirloom tomatoes from my garden!

This is one of my favorite dishes! We eat it anytime we can source good tomatoes which is a bit of a challenge in these parts.

The first English recipe for a salad, from 1425, directs the chef to assemble 14 vegetables and herbs. How did that evolve to fruit salad, or tuna?
https://www.csmonitor.com/The-Cultu...-definition-of-salad-is-not-easily-tossed-off
I have to agree, a salad is three or more vegetables, chesses and or meat/nut & seeds.
Pasta is a newer twist to salads, bread was a side dish for many years.
Mint, oregano, basil, salt, black Pepper, hot peppers all brighten up a lump salad.
I like to make a garden salad out of what I am growing & it is rare that it is the same month to month.
Raw asparagus is good early spring for salads, before tomatoes & peppers come in.

Anyone else ever make or eat Frog eye salad? I was thinking about substituting rice for the Acini de Pepi pasta and whatever else it would take to make it gluten free.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchen/frog-eye-salad-5372261Frog Eye Salad
  • Level: Easy
  • Total: 2 hr 45 min (includes chilling time)
  • Active: 30 min
  • Yield: 8 to 10 servings
Ingredients
Kosher salt
Two 8-ounce cans crushed pineapple
Two 8-ounce cans pineapple tidbits
1/2 cup sugar
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 large eggs
1 cup acini di pepe pasta
One 16-ounce can mandarin oranges, drained
1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut, plus a large pinch for garnish
1 cup mini marshmallows
8 ounces frozen whipped topping, thawed
Directions
  1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
  2. Drain the crushed pineapple and pineapple tidbits over a bowl, pressing lightly to squeeze out the juice (reserve the juice).
  3. Combine the sugar, flour and 3/4 teaspoon salt in a medium saucepan. Whisk in the reserved pineapple juice and the eggs. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring constantly, and simmer until thickened, about 2 minutes. Strain the custard into a large bowl, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until just cool.
  4. Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to package directions. Drain and run under cold water to stop the cooking.
  5. Reserve a few slices of mandarin orange for garnish and set aside. Add the cooked pasta, pineapple, the remaining mandarin oranges, coconut and marshmallows to the custard and stir to coat. Add the whipped topping and stir until well mixed. Transfer to a serving bowl and top with the reserved mandarin slices and the pinch of coconut. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 2 hours and up to overnight.

Weedy,
you forgot the frogs or at least their eyes. :)

Anyone else ever make or eat Frog eye salad? I was thinking about substituting rice for the Acini de Pepi pasta and whatever else it would take to make it gluten free.

Nope, never heard of that kind of pasta either. It looks like little broken pieces from the spaghetti factory. Don't eat a lot of pasta at home. The closest I get to an Italian restaurant is the pizza place down the road.

I do like pineapple, interesting recipe.

Nope, never heard of that kind of pasta either. It looks like little broken pieces from the spaghetti factory. Don't eat a lot of pasta at home. The closest I get to an Italian restaurant is the pizza place down the road.

I do like pineapple, interesting recipe.
I have thought about a thread about all the types of pasta, because there are many different shapes that pasta is made. I was thinking about this, and how with the 1000 different types of beans, or many different types of potatoes, we have access to limited varieties. You do have to wonder how Acini di Pepe got started. Maybe it was the from the broken pieces left in the bottom of a spaghetti container. I recently was in a discussion about Acini di Pepe. Evidently it is commonly used in Italian Wedding Soup, which is made with meatballs. Daughter makes this kind of soup, so I will have to ask her what she uses instead of the pasta, since she cannot eat gluten. She might substitute with rice.

From Wikipedia:

Acini di pepe [ˈaːtʃini di ˈpeːpe] are a form of pasta. The name is Italian for "seeds of pepper". Acini is the plural of acino whose root is the Latin word acinus. In both Latin and Italian, the word means "grape" or "grape-stones". The "stones of a grape" are, of course, the seeds of the grape. Acini di pepe then translates into "seeds of a pepper". They were and are known as a symbol of fertility, which is why they are used in Italian wedding soup. They are also sometimes referred to as pastina (Italian for "tiny dough"); however, some pasta makers distinguish pastina as smaller than acini di pepe. The individual pieces usually resemble tiny cylinders about 1mm, or less, in each dimension.

Acini di pepe work well in soups and cold salads. Acini di pepe are often used in Italian wedding soup. Frog's eye salad is an American cold salad that combines the pasta with whipped topping, marshmallows, pineapple and mandarin oranges.

I found this one day and tried it. It's good and a good way of using up fresh garden veggies. Words of caution though......it makes alot, so just cut it down to smaller amounts......and it's best if eaten within 24 to 48 hours because the vinegar dressing starts breaking down the veggies and the taste changes. Still good, but not the same as fresh made.

Please forgive the name.....

Depression Era Jew Salad Recipe From a Friend's Grandmother - YouTube

I found this one day and tried it. It's good and a good way of using up fresh garden veggies. Words of caution though......it makes alot, so just cut it down to smaller amounts......and it's best if eaten within 24 to 48 hours because the vinegar dressing starts breaking down the veggies and the taste changes. Still good, but not the same as fresh made.

Please forgive the name.....

Depression Era Jew Salad Recipe From a Friend's Grandmother - YouTube
Edited from when I first typed this. I did not include cucumbers when I copied it.

Thank you! I love to make a salad and eat from it for a few days.
This would be a great salad to feed a crowd. My church feeds homeless in an organized camp of 40 people. This would be a great thing to make for that crowd.

I'm subscribed to this man's channel that this recipe comes from, but I don't watch everything on his or anyone's channel, and had not seen this recipe. I decided to type out the recipe so that I can keep it easier, and maybe I'll put it on my recipe blog. I may change out the name, but maybe not. Any suggestions for a name change would be appreciated, anyone. Maybe Depression Era Salad would be good enough.

Depression Era Jew Salad

Mix sliced vegetables together in a large pot or bowl
2 pounds of cabbage, sliced thin
3 carrots, sliced thin
2 green peppers, sliced thin
1 white onion (can substitute with a different kind, he used red), sliced thin
bunch of radishes, sliced thin
half a bunch of celery, sliced thin
3 to 4 thinly sliced peeled cucumbers

Dressing: Mix until well blended:
1/2 cup warm water
1 cup salad oil
1 1/2 cup white vinegar
2/3 to 3/4 cup granulated white sugar
1 Tablespoon salt
1 Tablespoon granulated garlic

Pour dressing over the vegetables and mix until vegetables are evenly covered.
A gallon jar works well for storing this. Put the vegetables into the jar, tamping them down, and then pouring the remaining dressing in the bottom of the bowl over the top. Store in the refrigerator until well marinated, at least 1 -2 days. This stores for about a week in the fridge and the flavors get better as time goes on.

Last edited:
Antipasto Salad

8oz rotini pasta, cooked, drained & rinsed in cold water
6oz Genoa salami, sliced or diced
10oz cherry tomatoes, halved
small red onion, sliced
8oz mozzarella cheese, bite sized pieces
small cucumber, sliced &/or red sweet pepper
about 1/2 cup whole black olives, halved
about 1/2 cup green olives, halved
about 1/2 cup kalamata olives, halved
1/3 cup fresh parsley

Dressing

1/2 cup olive oil
3 T white wine vinegar
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
1 T mayo
1 tsp sugar
1 garlic cloved, minced
1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp parsley
1/2 tsp basil
salt & pepper

add all to a jar & shake to combine......toss with salad & let sit to marinade about 30 minutes.

*NOTE*......I wrote down this recipe from an online source, that I can't find now and I didn't include all measurements for the salad makings, so just use what looks good and your preference. Measurements for the dressing are/were copied directly.

Thank you! I love to make a salad and eat from it for a few days.
This would be a great salad to feed a crowd. My church feeds homeless in an organized camp of 40 people. This would be a great thing to make for that crowd.

I'm subscribed to this man's channel that this recipe comes from, but I don't watch everything on his or anyone's channel, and had not seen this recipe. I decided to type out the recipe so that I can keep it easier, and maybe I'll put it on my recipe blog. I may change out the name, but maybe not. Any suggestions for a name change would be appreciated, anyone. Maybe Depression Era Salad would be good enough.

Depression Era Jew Salad

Mix sliced vegetables together in a large pot or bowl
2 pounds of cabbage, sliced thin
3 carrots, sliced thin
2 green peppers, sliced thin
1 white onion (can substitute with a different kind, he used red), sliced thin
bunch of radishes, sliced thin
half a bunch of celery, sliced thin

Dressing: Mix until well blended:
1/2 cup warm water
1 cup salad oil
1 1/2 cup white vinegar
2/3 to 3/4 cup granulated white sugar
1 Tablespoon salt
1 Tablespoon granulated garlic

Pour dressing over the vegetables and mix until vegetables are evenly covered.
A gallon jar works well for storing this. Put the vegetables into the jar, tamping them down, and then pouring the remaining dressing in the bottom of the bowl over the top. Store in the refrigerator until well marinated, at least 1 -2 days. This stores for about a week in the fridge and the flavors get better as time goes on.

Thank you for writing it out and now I'll copy it. I don't know why I didn't write it down before......maybe because I'd have to cut the recipe by 10 or something more manageable for 3 and sometimes that's just too much work LOL

I just love the old raw broccoli salad and will throw all kinds of stuff in it like bacon, red onion, raisins, cranberries, blueberries, orange slices or pieces or canned mandarins, any kind of nuts or seeds if you have them.

Dressing

1/2 C mayo
2 T vinegar
2 T sugar

Mix & toss with salad makings

I am a real pill at a picnic. I don't like potato salad or cole slaw. I really don't like any cold pasta salads, and deviled eggs won't even stay down.

I will go crazy making a Chef Salad. Take all the greens and add celery and maybe a couple of chopped up baby carrots. Add some kind of meat; ham is best, salami is second, but any luncheon meat will do. Throw in a handful of sunflower seeds. Cover it with shredded cheese, and some cream based dressing; Ranch; Thousand Island; Blu Cheese; so it is disgustingly unhealthy and I am as happy as a pig in slop. I think my doctor just fainted but I like it.

Latest posts

Back