Front Porch Chit Chat

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A small gender indicator along with our names would save folks from making an incorrect assumption. Of course people could opt out of displaying it.
male-sign_2642.png
We don’t have enough symbols to cover the range of genders people seem to believe that there are out there. Now, personally I think there is only the two, but hey, I am olds school so what do I know

We don’t have enough symbols to cover the range of genders people seem to believe that there are out there. Now, personally I think there is only the two, but hey, I am olds school so what do I know
Two genders were enough for centuries and 2 are still enough.
What someone wants to believe can not change the fact.

Rewiring an OLD home can be a nightmare!! 15 and 20 amp wiring no longer cuts the mustard! I had to put in three new panels, breakers, wiring and now I'm good for 30 amp service. Some of the old wiring looked like spaghetti! Sheesh!! Don't let the siding fool you, this is a cinder block house and OLD!! Tax lien property I aquired and renovated for under $10,000...appraised at $85,000. Has 2 acres of fenced in land with it...8' cyclone fence all the way around. Now if I could just convince the squirrels this is not their second home......

IMG_20190114_104103_01.jpg

I hate tuna, but eat it anyway. Daughter #2 said she accidentally squeezed the Old Bay canister in her sister's hand while sister was shaking the can over the tuna, dumping a good bit of Old Bay into the tuna.
I laughed. "That's hilarious. Plus, now that you're adults," I told them, "when you make mistakes like that I'll laugh at you instead of yelling. When you were a kid and did something dumb like that I'd yell at you."
I know, I'm a bad parent. I didn't yell yell, just semi freak out.

I have a friend who is gay; I'll ask him about the existence of symbols with the same utility as the Big Two. If none are in common use, maybe we could make the creation of them a 'community project'.

Rewiring an OLD home can be a nightmare!! 15 and 20 amp wiring no longer cuts the mustard! I had to put in three new panels, breakers, wiring and now I'm good for 30 amp service.

I had to rewire this place last winter. the stove was gas. The line leaked out somewhere under the house. Could have blown up. Decided to go electric. problem was... wiring wasn't heavy enough to handle a new electric stove and the breaker panel was full and had no open circuits to use. Had to dig and run a whole new line into the house and install a new larger breaker panel then run a line from that to the new stove. Had an electrician come in and give me an estimate of $1800.00 with me digging the ditches myself to save money. Then he never showed up on scheduled days to do the work. I had to bring in an older retired electrician to help me do it myself. Ended up costing about $800 to do it ourselves. He wanted to charge me $150 for his help. I refused to let him charge me that little and paid him double for a half day of work wiring the main line and breaker panel. I pulled all wires myself after digging all ditches and running conduit. Went ahead and wired in the hot tub as well.

Rewiring an OLD home can be a nightmare!! 15 and 20 amp wiring no longer cuts the mustard! I had to put in three new panels, breakers, wiring and now I'm good for 30 amp service. Some of the old wiring looked like spaghetti! Sheesh!! Don't let the siding fool you, this is a cinder block house and OLD!! Tax lien property I aquired and renovated for under $10,000...appraised at $85,000. Has 2 acres of fenced in land with it...8' cyclone fence all the way around. Now if I could just convince the squirrels this is not their second home......

View attachment 10364
You are not saying how old your home is. Mine is 130 years old and has had a couple newer updates. It needs more. One double outlet in one of the bedrooms is really inadequate. All the other rooms have more outlets, but the wiring should really be updated.

I had to rewire this place last winter. the stove was gas. The line leaked out somewhere under the house. Could have blown up. Decided to go electric.

I have a gas line into my kitchen that I have never used because there is a problem with it. I have an electric stove, but would like a gas one. It is one of the projects that has been on my mind to get done this year. I want to get some other work before that.

You are not saying how old your home is. Mine is 130 years old and has had a couple newer updates. It needs more. One double outlet in one of the bedrooms is really inadequate. All the other rooms have more outlets, but the wiring should really be updated.

Built in 1952.

I have a gas line into my kitchen that I have never used because there is a problem with it. I have an electric stove, but would like a gas one. It is one of the projects that has been on my mind to get done this year. I want to get some other work before that.

Sorry to come in late to this. Hooch, at least you haven't had your chickens get eaten by snakes. My friend has chickens and many of his hatchlings get eaten by snakes.
Yours were probably dogs, coyotes are pretty thorough. Are you still in California?

Sorry to come in late to this. Hooch, at least you haven't had your chickens get eaten by snakes. My friend has chickens and many of his hatchlings get eaten by snakes.
Yours were probably dogs, coyotes are pretty thorough. Are you still in California?
I would have to rectify that problem. I don't know how my grandmother dealt with snakes and her chickens and turkeys, but there were plenty of snakes around.

My home is less than 30 years old & I was told that it would cost about $1000.00 to up date to today's standard.

.... It needs more. One double outlet in one of the bedrooms is really inadequate. ...

Be careful what you wish for.

Our first house was just over 1oo year old. Fuse panel had two fuses, one for electric stove and the other for the rest of the house. Upstairs had one outlet in the bathroom, down stairs had four (one in the kitchen). Over the years the fuse panel was replace with 100 AMP service and later to 200 AMP service (Electrical Utility changed its standards). Our electric bill continued to climb as more improvements were made. Kilowatt hours tripled during 15 years.

Last edited:
Be careful what you wish for.

Our first house was just over 1oo year old. Fuse panel had two fuses, one for electric stove and the other for the rest of the house. Upstairs had one outlet in the bathroom, down stairs had four (one it the kitchen). Over the years the fuse panel was replace with 100 AMP service and later to 200 AMP service (Electrical Utility changed its standards). Our electric bill continued to climb as more improvements were made. Kilowatt hours tripled during the 15 teen years.

Alabama Power had a major glitch today...their computers were turning off people's power at random, and then their entire computer system went down statewide!! I got hit with a turnoff, and evidently it will be a day or two before they track down all the incorrect turnoffs and things get back to normal. Fortunately I have a generator backup, but I'll bet most people did not have a generator backup and a lot of groceries got wasted!! Seems to be a lot of these major computer glitches going around...Wells Fargo was down for 4 days a few weeks ago, and thousands of debit cards had to be replaced because they wouldn't work after the glitch (evidently the CVSS # was compromised...merchants said the CVSS # was invalid and online purchases could not be processed). I'd hate to think what would happen if the computer systems went down nationwide for a few days!! Can you say, "SHTF for real!!"

This is news to me. Any evidence mentioned about malign spirits?

No, but that's a distinct possibility with all the "computers are down" crap that's been going around lately!!! Wells Fargo really got nailed a few weeks ago, was down for 4 days, and screwed up tens of thousands of debit cards.

Latest posts

Back