Frozen turkeys

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pearl

Finder of lost things AND The Boss
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Made a quick run through Walmart yesterday 🙄🙄! There were two big freezer bins FULL of LARGE frozen turkeys!! 1.78$ a pound 😮! I always cook a big turkey or two for Thanksgiving and Christmas, sometimes Easter too. There are always plenty of large ones because people want the 10-12lb turkeys. I couldn't understand WHY they had so many 22-27lb turkeys and why they were so expensive!?!?!🤔

Made a quick run through Walmart yesterday 🙄🙄! There were two big freezer bins FULL of LARGE frozen turkeys!! 1.78$ a pound 😮! I always cook a big turkey or two for Thanksgiving and Christmas, sometimes Easter too. There are always plenty of large ones because people want the 10-12lb turkeys. I couldn't understand WHY they had so many 22-27lb turkeys and why they were so expensive!?!?!🤔
That is not a good price.

If and when prices are better, but there are no smaller turkeys, there is the possibility of asking a butcher to cut a turkey in half for you. They have band saws that cut through frozen meat and some are willing to do that for you.

Do Walmarts have butchers in the back? I don't think I've ever seen them. Perhaps their meat is process elsewhere and brought in prepackaged. I know that our local stores King Soopers (Kroger), Safeway, and others have a butcher shop in the back and they are willing to do that for you, if there is someone on duty. Sometimes the butcher shops close up around 3 or 4, so going in the morning is preferred.

I think they need to be .30¢ a pound. I like big turkeys, just can't understand WHY so many that size and expensive??!
For the last few years, Safeway in my area will give you a turkey if you purchase $100 worth of groceries in one shopping trip. I've seen many people get a free turkey that way. That is not hard to do for a Thanksgiving dinner, spend $100. I wonder if they will raise that limit this year?

About the best price, all considered, for large frozen turkeys I recall is about 79 cents.. Given the location at that time, that was a good bargain worth stocking up on as it was cheaper to buy turkeys than raise them.. One trick with a big bird is to thaw it, cut in 2, roast half in the oven and the other in the big counter top roaster.. Once deboned, canned or frozen, make turkey vegetable stock in the counter top oven from the carcass.. The stock got canned and stored in the cold room..

Then of course you could always make smoked ...Tiger... sausage (turkey, goose, rabbit)

i heard the other day that 2 big turkey farms were told the y had bird flu and had to kill them all off. so im expecting less turkey available this fall and higher prices. cant get to town til end of month but im getting 3 turkeys, will save 1 for holidays and can the others.

got a great turkey cassserole recipe thats kinda like everything we love for thanksgiving all in one except the pie. better than it sounds--lol

Last edited:
I like turkey at Thanksgiving. But I get tired of it real quick. I could do without it. It's OK, not great, but it's traditional. If it's too expensive this year, I'll just make a roast or something else. I like roasts much better anyways. A high end roast isn't cheap by any means, but a pot roast is and those come out just fine after a day of slow cooking. They even come out good from the Instant Pot which is much faster than a Crock Pot. We'll have to see how much what costs when the time comes. I don't really expect anything to be cheap this year, not with the inflationalists in control.

Noticed frozen turkeys in a supermarket here also. They were €25-27, but I didn't see the weight. Medium sized I guess. Our neighbours rear turkeys, and they had them all go out last week, there was a very quick cleaning out, powerwashing and bedding done- the fastest I've ever seen in all the time I'm here, so must be more coming in for Christmas.

got a great turkey cassserole recipe thats kinda like everything we love for thanksgiving all in one except the pie. better than it sounds--lol
=== ===
This is a MUST SHARE recipe...
Thanks

== ==
I have seen a bird disease outbreak go through a turkey growing region.. It was easily stopped once the source of it was discovered.. It was found to be spread by the commercial garbage truck.. It put a big hurt on the local Jenny-O turkey plant local there.. The composting and clean up of the birds lost in this outbreak wasn't hard or expensive, other than the loss of the birds and set back of the cycle of raising birds.. But it was time consuming that made supply and price what it was at that time..

Last edited:
=== ===
This is a MUST SHARE recipe...
Thanks

== ==
I have seen a bird disease outbreak go through a turkey growing region.. It was easily stopped once the source of it was discovered.. It was found to be spread by the commercial garbage truck.. It put a big hurt on the local Jenny-O turkey plant local there.. The composting and clean up of the birds lost in this outbreak wasn't hard or expensive, other than the loss of the birds and set back of the cycle of raising birds.. But it was time consuming that made supply and price what it was at that time..

originally called 'lazy thanksgiving dinner'

turkey casserole

1 can cream of celery soup
1 can cream of potato soup
1 cup milk
1/4 teasp thyme
1/8 tsp pepper
2 cup cooked turkey
4 cup cooked vegetables - your choice

4 cup pre-cooked stuffing

grease casserole pan

mix all ingredients together except stuffing

fill pan - top with stuffing and smooth out

canadd pats of butter on stuffing

bake 400 degrees for 30-45 min

its a very basic simple recipe easy to alter and add more ingredients

i add a little poultry seasoning, dash of old bay, more pepper

for the veg needed ive used can of mixed veg or can of green beans , chopped up left over potato, etc.

been a few times over thge yars i couldnt afford a frozen turkey for holidays but had a jar of canned and it was a satisfying meal with holiday feeling.

I bought a frozen 14 lb turkey at Walmart today (to cook for lunchmeat) and it was the Walmart brand at 98 cents a lb. They did have Butterball at $1.39 lb.
Our amish neighbor brought us a turkey casserole once, that thing weighed a ton. Took us four meals to finish. She called it Turkey down under. It was shredded turkey layered on the bottom, canned corn, lots of gravy, and mashed potatoes with shredded cheese on top.

Latest posts

Back