Frustrations

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terri9630

Internet Princess
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I'm impatiently waiting for this calf to be born. The cow was seen being bred on April 26th and was with the bull until May 5th. She should have been due between the 1st and 9th. I'm begining to wonder if she didn't take and was later bred by her calf. He was banded (before we bought them) but looked and acted very bullish.
IMG_20220216_120959172_HDR.jpg

You don't have enough cows to keep a bull of your own? I don't remember how many head you have. Anyway, thats one of the advantages of running a bull. Only the big boy breeds.

Your cows look good, healthy.

We have a 9yr old(the pregnant black one), a red 8 month old heifer, a red 6 month old bull calf and 3 steers. The cow was bred to a lowline Angus before we bought her and her 10 month old steer(?) calf. Her calf was very bullish in his behavior and was very thick and muscular for his age.

Did you have her preg checked? If you have a glove, that far along it would be easy to tell if she's bred. The cotyledons would be large and easy to feel.

She had a positive blood test but our vet said hes not good with "dating" smaller breeds like Dexters. She was only with the one bull unless her calf was proud cut. No chance of a neighboring bull getting to her, shes my milk cow and kept up by the house where there are no other cattle except for the heifer and bull calf.

Last edited:
Normally we have our cows in a squeeze chute when we preg test them. They can't move anywhere.

I'll wait for the vet, I'm not going to do anything that will make her not want to go to her milking stanchion and stand perfectly for me to milk.

Nervous midwives?
Am I understanding that you are milking a pregnant cow? I didn't think they would get pregnant while being milked?

Nervous midwives? Not nervous, impatient!!
Am I understanding that you are milking a pregnant cow? I didn't think they would get pregnant while being milked?

No and Yes. You can milk a cow while she is pregnant. You should stop a few months before she calves to give her a rest and so when she starts to produce colostrum you don't take it from the calf.

You re-breed cows when the calf is a couple of months old and still nursing.

I thought you had to stop milking before she calved to insure calf got that first colostrum. It is critical unless you feed it to calf in a bottle but hers is best.

You should stop a few months before she calves. I stopped milking Birdie back in Dec because she was supposed to be due In Feb. I really miss fresh milk.....

Is this breed dependent?

Latest posts

Back