Further Proof That Your Old.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

old tex

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
I have already had proof that I'm old. So I didn't need further proof. The other day I had to move a large moving company box full of boxes, empty boxes. My guess is that it weighed around 40 to 50 lbs. And I had to lift it over some other boxes, say about neck high. Between the weight & the awkward angle my body was in, well let's just say that it was a strain. The next day I was sore, but not a big deal. However, the 2nd days afterward I needed to do a motion that involved those chest muscles & they told me loud & clear that I'm too old to be doing that stuff.

I remember as a teenager having my car roll of a jack & I grabbed it & lowered it to the ground, no problem While I know those days were over I didn't understand just how long "over" they were. What was your first or maybe last reminder from your body that certain actions are maybe still possible but will end up being painful?

My body reminds me daily of my age. It re-reminds me the next day. Naproxen (high strength Aleve) is a very good friend of mine.

I took on "work smarter, not harder" going back to when I was in my 30's.

I'm lucky enough to have a son in his 20's that's in good shape to take care of my harder work.

I have already had proof that I'm old. So I didn't need further proof. The other day I had to move a large moving company box full of boxes, empty boxes. My guess is that it weighed around 40 to 50 lbs. And I had to lift it over some other boxes, say about neck high. Between the weight & the awkward angle my body was in, well let's just say that it was a strain. The next day I was sore, but not a big deal. However, the 2nd days afterward I needed to do a motion that involved those chest muscles & they told me loud & clear that I'm too old to be doing that stuff.

I remember as a teenager having my car roll of a jack & I grabbed it & lowered it to the ground, no problem While I know those days were over I didn't understand just how long "over" they were. What was your first or maybe last reminder from your body that certain actions are maybe still possible but will end up being painful?
Hit me at 29. In 1989 i was working at a TV shop and had to carry a 21 tv with picture tube,, up a flight of stairs. Herniated 2 disks that day. Was hurting before I went home. Next morning I like to never got out of bed. Every day since had been an adventure.

the first indicator was when I decided if I couldn't pick it up with one hand I shouldn't lift it, it now is get a hand truck before even trying

I just carried 3 more boxes downstairs. Two of them weren't heavy & weren't packed tight. The 3rd was packed tight so I lowered it one step at a time & put it on a dolly to move 20 feet. I guess that I'm learning slowly. I'm not looking forward to the time I spend bending over them to pack them tight though but that's tomorrow.

Hit me at 29. In 1989 i was working at a TV shop and had to carry a 21 tv with picture tube,, up a flight of stairs. Herniated 2 disks that day. Was hurting before I went home. Next morning I like to never got out of bed. Every day since had been an adventure.
WOW, you are old!!😉😃

Been there, done that. It SUCKS. It was around 1977:p

When you are young and you drop something, you bend over and pick it up. When you are old and you drop something you look at it and think "How badly do I need that?"

I don't work harder or smarter. I work less. If I do to much my left knee stiffens up like a board. The only relief is to sit down for 10 minutes or so and rest it. For me the dividing line was age 60. Before that I could still do pretty much everything. After 60 it was physically a precipitous decline.

For me, it is when I get 3 cases of beer at the store, the bag-boy follows me out of the store wanting to load it in my truck.
I still say: "naw, I got it :thumbs:" .... I wonder for how long:(.

When you are young and you drop something, you bend over and pick it up. When you are old and you drop something you look at it and think "How badly do I need that?"

I don't work harder or smarter. I work less. If I do to much my left knee stiffens up like a board. The only relief is to sit down for 10 minutes or so and rest it. For me the dividing line was age 60. Before that I could still do pretty much everything. After 60 it was physically a precipitous decline.
Yes on the turning 60. Started with aches and pains last fall. Then this winter a fall bruised my spine. Healing slowly and xray showed arthritis on lower spine.

Yes on the turning 60. Started with aches and pains last fall. Then this winter a fall bruised my spine. Healing slowly and xray showed arthritis on lower spine.
Ditto.

I fought it to 65 and then injuries stopped healing as previously. I now have to plan to not hurt myself in the first place. :rolleyes: .

Ben

A question for 'the old guys' (since I am new to this game :rolleyes:): When you know you forgot to do something, but cannot remember what it was for the life of you, what do you do?

Several of the older folks I clean for will have a list when I get there! What they dropped and need me to pick up (ex: dropped my pen behind the recliner), what they need opened (aspirin bottle, anything with a twist cap), and a list of things they need me to find (dropped a pill, it rolled that way)!

A question for 'the old guys' (since I am new to this game :rolleyes:): When you know you forgot to do something, but cannot remember what it was for the life of you, what do you do?

Wait a day or so and you will remember it. If it was really important your wife will remind you in no uncertain terms.

Keep a little notebook in your pocket. Think of something, read an interesting quote, new technique for a task you do, jot it down.
I did that but later when I read it I wonder what that note is supposed to remind me about.
Now I don't use abbreviated notes I spell out exactly what I mean.

I felt old yesterday while we were walking around.
The altitude was really noticeable and we all were huffing and puffing by the time we got to the top of all the stairs.
The girl that narrated the train trip offered me a hand down when getting off the train.
I didn't need help but us old guys don't get to hold hands with pretty young girls very often so I took her hand.
My wife really couldn't give me the eye because she helped her down also.:D
If I am totally honest I am an old guy.
I turned 71 yesterday and if that ain't old I don't know what is.

Wait until it becomes an emergency, then it will become obvious. When I do a repair now, I put the old parts in one bucket so that I don't second guess my self, same with the tools , in the their job bucket, not back in the box until I am done. and just put much more effort into where I set my gloves.

I don't know about anyone else but here's what I do. I stand there for about 1 minute. If it doesn't come to me I walk away & don't worry about it. That's because I know that I will be forgetting multiple things all day & while trying to think of what they were, this last thing will probably come to me.

I've found that most things aren't all that important that a few hours or even days really matter,

Oh & I suggest that you do not tie a string around your finger. If you get in the habit of doing that after a while you will have so many strings on your fingers that you can't open a beer.
Yeah, I'm a 'no strings attached' beer-opener.😁

Look for the list I wrote and lost :pReally, all I have to do pay the bills, everything is on Google Calender and I get reminders.

I remember the moment I realized I was no longer a young man… I was at a hotel in Spokane wa for a month, winter. Every evening after dinner I’d get a gin an tonic from the bar and sit in the over sized hot tub, indoor, along with the pool. I’d had the tub to myself for weeks.

What I didn’t know… that day the wa state high school girls basketball tournament began. So, I was relaxing in the tub when suddenly the doors burst open and about 20 teenagers in bikini’s invaded my tub and pool.

My first thought was ‘Girls, put some clothes on!’ They were babies!!! Every teenage boy’s dream and I couldn’t even look (for long anyway😁).

The next moment I realized what this meant… I was no longer a young man. :cry:

I was at the airport at baggage claim. A nice young gentleman came up and asked me if I needed help with my luggage. It scared the crap out of me. If the good guys saw me as weak the bad guys would as well. I upped my level of situational awareness.

I remember the moment I realized I was no longer a young man… I was at a hotel in Spokane wa for a month, winter. Every evening after dinner I’d get a gin an tonic from the bar and sit in the over sized hot tub, indoor, along with the pool. I’d had the tub to myself for weeks.

What I didn’t know… that day the wa state high school girls basketball tournament began. So, I was relaxing in the tub when suddenly the doors burst open and about 20 teenagers in bikini’s invaded my tub and pool.

My first thought was ‘Girls, put some clothes on!’ They were babies!!! Every teenage boy’s dream and I couldn’t even look (for long anyway😁).

The next moment I realized what this meant… I was no longer a young man. :cry:
Just because you get old. Don't mean you go blind too

Latest posts

Back